Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is 922 Going Away?

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,717 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:41 AM

Why are they pushing the VIP722 and not pushing the VIP922? That's curious.

From an outsider's perspective... Most people are probably still balking at the $200 upgrade price for a 922... so you can't hardly push that onto customers... but you can push a free upgrade to a 722 and a free-after-rebate sling adapter to go with it... and lock those customers in for another 2 years after the upgrade.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 526 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:01 PM

From an outsider's perspective... Most people are probably still balking at the $200 upgrade price for a 922... so you can't hardly push that onto customers... but you can push a free upgrade to a 722 and a free-after-rebate sling adapter to go with it... and lock those customers in for another 2 years after the upgrade.

I had this very thing happen to me a week or two ago. The Dish CSR asserted that the ViP922 was not currently available, which I didn't believe. I think that she just didn't think that I would go for the extra $200 charge and was just trying to get a deal done with the free ViP722.

#23 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 900 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:14 PM

I've been away and using RA and DO. For the first time I had my recordings go missing via the Remote Access and Dish Online, something that has been reported by others many times. It was no big deal personally, although I did wondered if I would have my stuff on the DVR when I returned, thankfully I did.
This experiment Dish and Sling has been running for a while now has become a little boring. One would think after a relatively lengthly period of time either they would have figured it out or.....moved on. Clearly the Online/Remote Access has not come to fruition. The bugs, errors, having to login/logon have worm me down a bit. I really like it when it works but it has become tiresome.......are you hearing this Dish!
Thank you and
Best of luck

#24 OFFLINE   fdisker2000

fdisker2000

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:26 AM

I had a DN rep. push the 722 pretty hard tonight. He told me that the 722 with the sling adapter is exactly the same as the 922 except for the hard drive being smaller. He put a lot of pressure on me to get the 722 instead. When I balked at that, he said he needed to "get permission" to add a 922 to my account and put me on hold for several minutes. Is this normal for new accounts?

#25 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,929 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:43 AM

With more and more reports like that, start thinking - what's going on behind curtains ?

If a few CSR doing same push 722 instead of desired 922, then it become company's rule.

#26 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 900 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:57 AM

This cloak of silence really sucks! Remote Access seemingly eliminated by proxy, and reports of discouraging new Dish subscribers from getting the supposed latest equipment. Dish should just come clean......
Thank you and
Best of luck

#27 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:20 AM

Another poster here who works for Dish says the 922 has been discontinued. I will try to find the post.

No offense to the DIRT Team, but I think they are being kept in the dark about the end of the 922.

#28 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 06:46 AM

If the 922 has been discontinued someone forgot to update the web site. It's at the top of the Dish HD DVR - Digital Video Recorders page.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#29 OFFLINE   brucegrr

brucegrr

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • LocationNey, Ohio

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:34 AM

I have one 922. I wanted to upgrade our 612 to a 922. (and I knew there would be an upgrade fee) The CSR said she couldn't do that. If I wanted a 922 I would have to buy it. That wasn't going to happen so I got a 722 for free. This happened last week...

#30 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:16 AM

I have one 922. I wanted to upgrade our 612 to a 922. (and I knew there would be an upgrade fee) The CSR said she couldn't do that. If I wanted a 922 I would have to buy it. That wasn't going to happen so I got a 722 for free. This happened last week...

I seem to recall that there was a limit of 1 leased 922 per account. At least that was the topic of several discussions last year when the 922 first appeared.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#31 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 900 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:16 PM

I seem to recall that there was a limit of 1 leased 922 per account. At least that was the topic of several discussions last year when the 922 first appeared.

Ditto, they told me the same thing. One lease per account, I find it curious though...money is money, even for Dish TV.
Thank you and
Best of luck

#32 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,717 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:43 PM

Another poster here who works for Dish says the 922 has been discontinued. I will try to find the post.

No offense to the DIRT Team, but I think they are being kept in the dark about the end of the 922.

I don't recall seeing such a post... at least not by a credible source.

They seem to still be developing the 922... and I've seen no evidence of anything about-to-release that would take its place as the flagship receiver... so I can't imagine Dish has any current plans to stop making this receiver at this time.

I could be wrong... but it would be a VERY odd thing.

#33 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,929 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:57 PM

Well, I wouldn't say so if you're expecting XiP813 this fall or winter ...

#34 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:26 PM

Im a dish CSR :D

So heres the low down on the 922 situation and whats been happening since about Late april/May-ish if i remember correctly. Take what you will with this info and make your own opinions ^^

-In early Late april/may direct sales agents started reporting in the dish network internal forums that they no longer had the option to set up new accounts with a vip922 receiver. Of course the first assumption was it was a bug, after many posts of sales agents confirming the issue the final response from the higher ups was. That it was not a bug and that the 922 was purposely removed from sales agents when creating accounts.

-About a week later an update surfaces in the thread that if a new customer wants to sign up with a 922 they have to do so through a retailer as its no longer possible through a CSR on the phone.

-The Sling adapter Rebate goes live to get customers the same functionality as a 922 for pretty much free*after redeeming the 99$ gift card*.

-Front line agents are told to sell a vip722+sling adapter+rebate to a customer if they bring up the "Dish tv everywhere" commercial rather then bringing up the vip922. We are specifically told to only sell a vip922 if the customer specifically asks about it. Aka, the customer needs to do the name drop first.

Ive asked several times and the consensus is, we are not discontinuing the 922... just walking away for awhile.

#35 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:41 PM

Thanks Inkosaurus. It was your post in another thread I was referring to. Thanks for the additional info.

#36 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,717 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:45 PM

Well, I wouldn't say so if you're expecting XiP813 this fall or winter ...

But do we? I think the 922 was actually shown at CES two consecutive years before it actually became available.

The XiP hasn't been shown anywhere yet has it? We might still be a ways off before that sees the light of day.

Also, the 922 like other receivers didn't come out of the gate firing on all cylinders... so usually Dish likes to have something else stable around when they introduce the next big thing.

As for the CSRs and not pushing the 922... I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there has been customer backlash from two areas:

1. the $200 upgrade fee
2. poorly informed installations

That fee isn't a cheap one... so people expect a lot... then they can't use their receiver right for a couple of days... and not all the installers apparently are informed about what to expect with the 922. We also have reports of customers who receive replacement 922 receivers having difficulty activating them and taking the first firmware update.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dish is taking a step back to isolate their internal problems... before going back to pushing the 922 once they figure out how to fix those customer issues.

It may also be worth considering... Echostar makes the 922. Dish is essentially buying the 922 from Echostar... Echostar could sell that receiver to cable or other satellite companies... and at one point I thought we were hearing that part of the split of Echostar and Dish was to pursue just that sort of thing... Echostar making hardware not just for Dish. Maybe that plays a part sometimes too.

#37 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:08 PM

Edited by Inkosaurus, 11 November 2011 - 06:08 PM.

#38 OFFLINE   garygaryj

garygaryj

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:52 PM

I'm one of those who called up Dish (walking away from DirecTV after 14 years) and asked specifically for the VIP 922 by name on May 1, for a June 1 installation.

Good installation. Good equipment. Somewhat good software - needs some improvement, but really, it is everything that I need, and with the lower prices of Dish in general, I'm very happy.

I know they have a ways to go in software development, and I have tried to take the tack of being positive, rather than negative, feeling that this is the best way to break through that 'wall of silence.' I've had some limited success, and there is good indication that one or two of the easier items suggested may make it into the next software release. I do know that they are still working on new future software releases for the 922 - something that would not be too common for something being discarded.

So my impression is that they *do* plan to keep the 922, and may be doing some re-grooming, so in the end, they can have a big "win" on their hands. The XiP series may be great, but it won't be the right fit for everyone. I think the 922 will become better, and will "win" in the marketplace, and will stick around for some time. At least I hope that very much.

#39 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,929 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:04 PM

Oh, you just remind about other 'nail in the coffin' - new SW - we didn't get it for long time if you count intervals between last few versions.
Bad sign !

#40 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,717 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:22 PM

I feel like I should say that I'm very pleased with my 922... but I'm also an early-adopter and fairly technical... so I can live through some of those initial installation glitches that most customers would rightfully freak out about.

I grant you that most customers who pay $200 for the right to get the 922 should be expecting more than they are getting on day 1... day 2... and sometimes day 3.

I think at least half of those customers, though, would be patient on those initial glitches IF they were given a one-sheet describing "what to expect with your new 922" and if the installer goes over it with them. I've always found it odd that the 922 is one of those receivers that required a truck roll, but we were reading stories about customers whose installer said it was the first 922 they had seen.

I know my father had a similar experience with his cable company and those older cablecards. They wouldn't let him self-install... but sent a guy out who had never installed one before! The guy had lots of trouble, and my father had to help... and he reamed out the cable company for saying it needed a "trained" person as the reason why he couldn't do it... then sending an untrained person.

Dish isn't alone... I find a lot of companies where I have worked really drop the ball on internal communications AND on training service people for their products.

Most companies don't see the value in this kind of communication, and yet they are probably losing millions on disgruntled customers and higher-than-normal call volume for things that could have been avoided.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...