Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is 922 Going Away?

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

• Registered
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:32 PM

Yup. TV2 via coax.

"Belligerent and numerous."

SlingTV, Tablo and Plex to Roku 3s and Chromecasts on a Vizio 42" in the living room and a Toshiba 32" in my bedroom. Xbox 360 client on a Westinghouse 42" in the game room. Tablets EVERYWHERE!

I used to update the Dish Network FAQ but not anymore.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   dishman1999

dishman1999

• Banned User
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:33 PM

Hi, I am sorry that this misinformation is still being given out to customers. The VIP922 Slingloaded DVR is our newest model receiver. Everything that James says is correct. Right now the sales department is pushing the VIP722 with the sling adapter rebate and will only sell the VIP922 if specifically asked for. If you need any assistance with this, please feel free to contact me and I can get you set-up if that is what you would like! Thank you!

Mary is there a way to upgrade to a 922 VIP?

thanks
Dishman1999

#53 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,239 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:15 PM

Yes. Easy. By buying it.

#54 OFFLINE   dishman1999

dishman1999

• Banned User
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 05:19 AM

Yes. Easy. By buying it.

I don't need a smart azz person telling me what to do This is a question for Mary not some wise azz that has No call telling me what to do!:mad::mad:

I been with Dish a long time when it was called Echostar . you want to keep a customer tell me what I need to do!

Edited by dishman1999, 08 October 2011 - 05:31 AM.

#55 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:27 AM

I don't need a smart azz person telling me what to do This is a question for Mary not some wise azz that has No call telling me what to do!:mad::mad:

I been with Dish a long time when it was called Echostar . you want to keep a customer tell me what I need to do!

Have you tried PMing Mary??

#56 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,245 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:54 PM

Moderator warning... do not attack/harass other users.

Please stay on topic, or at least reasonably close to the topic.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

What I do when I'm not here

#57 OFFLINE   dishman1999

dishman1999

• Banned User
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:18 AM

Have you tried PMing Mary??

she E-mail me Thank you Mary and you too AZ!

Edited by dishman1999, 11 October 2011 - 06:08 AM.

#58 OFFLINE   gsocal2011

gsocal2011

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:31 AM

why is everyone so interested in the 922? Doesn't the 722 do the same thing if you get the sling adapter? What I'm more interested is the XIP 813...any idea when this comes out ? I signed up for Dish Network yesterday, thought it was a great deal, but then read I'd only receive HD on one TV and it's not true whole house DVR...any thoughts?

#59 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:21 AM

why is everyone so interested in the 922? Doesn't the 722 do the same thing if you get the sling adapter? What I'm more interested is the XIP 813...any idea when this comes out ? I signed up for Dish Network yesterday, thought it was a great deal, but then read I'd only receive HD on one TV and it's not true whole house DVR...any thoughts?

I cant asnwer the exact reason people want the 922 ? It basicly SUCKS, and been out for a year and a half!... If some one is waiting on the XIP line of stb's expect long delays past the release date, and exept lots of bugs and problems.....Its what dish does, not an opinion a fact!

#60 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 903 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:23 AM

It's newer.....bigger hard-drive, built-in Sling, better graphics, menus more user friendly and generally more interesting, (for me) than the 722K, I have both...early on there were several annoying bugs and omissions, which for the most part are gone. Sling is still an issue but that is not exclusive to the 922, that's just exclusive to sling........:lol:

As for the XIP 813, it is to be released soon, which is code for whenever, next year , not sure what month, blah, blah, blah. Stay tuned.....

It (the 922) is not a traditional "whole house" system, the fabled "Extender" never materialized.....

Receiving HD on more than 1 TV depends on the setup. I ran a long HDMI cable (50 ft.) to the bedroom and use those regular RCA type HD connectors for the Kitchen in the main house..where the receiver lives (722k), looks like HD to me...using coax will not give HD to the second unit though (at least for me it didn't), I tried that with less than desirable results, that's when I went with the HDMI cable.
It's a process...isn't it?
Thank you and
Best of luck

#61 OFFLINE   l8er

l8er

Icon

• Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:18 AM

.... It basicly SUCKS ....

There are those of us who would beg to differ. I have totally enjoyed my 922 compared to the 722.
-GA

#62 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 903 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:32 AM

There are those of us who would beg to differ. I have totally enjoyed my 922 compared to the 722.

+1
Thank you and
Best of luck

#63 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,239 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:35 AM

It would be more appropriate compare 922 with a combo 722K+Sling.

#64 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:40 AM

Differ all you want!!! Its not what it has been advertised! From the get go problemed, and after a year and a half, still lots of problems!!!!

Pay more get what? Does the $4 extra charge give you a chill up your leg? For me I paid $200 and expected a working as advertised box, I got a reciever thats all....But hey I pay more, and it dose less monthly!

What exacualy is that extra $4 bucks for? Agravation??

And I love owning a Cadillac and enjoying the BBMP on it also!!!

Edited by AZ., 23 October 2011 - 10:55 AM.

#65 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 903 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:29 PM

It would be more appropriate compare 922 with a combo 722K+Sling.

I don't know what the point is, there's going to be an argument no matter which side you choose. It is a personal preference, sure the 922 bashers can rail on about this and that....so why do they have it...if they hate it. The 722k for my home (secondary receiver) is a simpler, more familiar , more ordinary receiver, guest love it, no trickiness...The 922 is more complicated, more provocative, more interesting for me.
Oh, and my 722k has no Sling, maybe I missed the point, sorry.
Thank you and
Best of luck

#66 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:38 PM

I don't know what the point is, there's going to be an argument no matter which side you choose. It is a personal preference, sure the 922 bashers can rail on about this and that....so why do they have it...if they hate it. The 722k for my home (secondary receiver) is a simpler, more familiar , more ordinary receiver, guest love it, no trickiness...The 922 is more complicated, more provocative, more interesting for me.
Oh, and my 722k has no Sling, maybe I missed the point, sorry.

I think us bashers...have lost all recordings(3 times myself) , on my second 922 in 5 months, Sling issues so many times there is no way I could count?....We pay extra! again for what?

The roll out of BBMP but not for the 922....

We paid for a Cadillac but got a Chevy......

#67 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,245 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 October 2011 - 03:12 PM

I think us bashers...have lost all recordings(3 times myself) , on my second 922 in 5 months,

If you are on your 2nd 922 in 5 months, I would suspect something else wrong with your installation that might be causing your 922 to have problems.

The 922 isn't perfect... but neither are any of the other Dish receivers.

Check the forum... Every DVR model Dish makes has customers who lost recordings or had multiple failures or various bugs that drive them batty.

I had a 510 (SD DVR) and a 622 ViP DVR fail on me... and right now my 2nd 622 is actually experiencing a failed hard drive that makes it useless as a DVR.

I had a 922 fail on me... I also have had problems with my 722.

There are things to be critical about on the 922... but some of the most recent things brought up are not unique to it.

For that matter, lots of people have had Sling issues with their 722 and 722K receivers too.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

#68 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 04:05 PM

If you are on your 2nd 922 in 5 months, I would suspect something else wrong with your installation that might be causing your 922 to have problems.

The 922 isn't perfect... but neither are any of the other Dish receivers.

Check the forum... Every DVR model Dish makes has customers who lost recordings or had multiple failures or various bugs that drive them batty.

I had a 510 (SD DVR) and a 622 ViP DVR fail on me... and right now my 2nd 622 is actually experiencing a failed hard drive that makes it useless as a DVR.

I had a 922 fail on me... I also have had problems with my 722.

There are things to be critical about on the 922... but some of the most recent things brought up are not unique to it.

For that matter, lots of people have had Sling issues with their 722 and 722K receivers too.

Common, who you crappen? The 922 had a known issue of harddrive crashes(or lose of recordings) out of nowwhere for 6 months before it was fixed!!!

And the excuse for no BBMP? and the extra $......

If its a poor install well only time will tell wont it?

#69 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,245 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:14 PM

Reminder to watch the language before it goes out of control...

There were some issues with the 922 when it first released. Arguably, I believe Dish "rushed" it out the door before it was ready because they were already over a year late to the party from when they wanted to release it!

But... the same can be said of the 622. I remember early adopters of the 622 screaming on the forum for about 6 months... The 722 was more stable, but then it was basically just an improved 622.

The 922 is a different beast in some areas, especially with the GUI/firmware and built-in sling... and like I said it isn't without its issues... but issues with receivers is not a new discussion. In fact, I actually see less reports on 922 issues than I expected but maybe that is due to low adoption due to its higher customer costs?

As for Blockbuster Movie Pass. I admit surprise on that one as well. I'm confused as to why 922 wasn't the first supported receiver in some ways, since it has been advertised as the online-featured receiver from "go"... but I guess there are more 622/722 receivers in the field by a wide margin so IF they want to get to most of their customers, they had to support those first.

What's weird, though, is no evidence of movement towards support on the 922 beyond some words that at this point seem to be as much rumor as plan... I know I'm disappointed not to see the feature on my 922.

Ultimately... like I said... criticism of the 922 is fair, but don't pretend like the 922 is the only receiver giving issues. Our other Dish receiver support forums are quite active too.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

#70 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:41 PM

Since BBMP is only on 622/722/722K and not 922/612 I'm guessing Dish put it on the DVRs that are the largest number in the wild. If this move was to help capture new subs that makes sense.

As to 922 problems I am on my 4th in 18 mos. This one has lasted 10 mos so they're getting better. Plus I put a double Coolerguys fan behind this one so it's avg temp is 114. And although occasionally frustrated I really like the 922. I'm waiting on my 3rd 722K in 6 mos. The 1st one started randomly shutting down and then coming back on when it got ready. Not rebooting, just turning itself off and on. 2nd one would not even activate last week. And I had several 622 failures. I seem to recall replacing a 625 also. Stuff happens.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#71 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 903 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:31 PM

I sure hope this is not the kiss of death, I got one of the original 922's.....no problems, the Sling situation has been less than acceptable at times but I have had no replacements or hardware issues.
Thank you and
Best of luck

#72 OFFLINE   vahighland

vahighland

Cool Member/Supporter

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:49 AM

Differ all you want!!! Its not what it has been advertised! From the get go problemed, and after a year and a half, still lots of problems!!!!

Pay more get what? Does the $4 extra charge give you a chill up your leg? For me I paid $200 and expected a working as advertised box, I got a reciever thats all....But hey I pay more, and it dose less monthly!

What exacualy is that extra $4 bucks for? Agravation??

And I love owning a Cadillac and enjoying the BBMP on it also!!!

+1 I ended up upgrading to the 722k from a 922.

#73 OFFLINE   azjimbo

azjimbo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:55 PM

For what it's worth, I just found this link in a different thread. Apparently the 922 should be getting BBMP in the middle of November.

"Word on the street is that DISH CSR's are indicating that the 922 will have Dish Blockbuster Pass on November 15th. Any way to confirm, or to correct this, or to add any information about it at all?

That is the planned date at this time - I was avoiding putting a date on it as things can always change."

http://www.dishsuppo....html#post17858

#74 OFFLINE   poncaguy

poncaguy

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:35 PM

I have a 211, 612, 722 and 922.....................Only problem I have is with the 612, turns off, then comes back on, never know when it's going to happen, but hasn 't done it much lately.
My 922 installers said I was the first one they installed, took a while, but it's been perfect as has been my 722.
I switched from Direct TV around 2000, been pleased ever since..........BTW, what happened to Charlie Chat and the other one, name is skipping my brain at rhe moment..

#75 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:07 AM

Have you tried unplugging your 612 receiver when it power cycles to have it reboot (hard reset)? If it continues to power cycle, you will probably need a replacement receiver. Thanks.

I have a 211, 612, 722 and 922.....................Only problem I have is with the 612, turns off, then comes back on, never know when it's going to happen, but hasn 't done it much lately.
My 922 installers said I was the first one they installed, took a while, but it's been perfect as has been my 722.
I switched from Direct TV around 2000, been pleased ever since..........BTW, what happened to Charlie Chat and the other one, name is skipping my brain at rhe moment..

Protected By... spam firewall...And...