Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Free Weekend June 9-12

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   linuspbmo

linuspbmo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:21 PM

Several of the deal sites (slickdeals) are reporting that D* will have a free weekend for premium channels on June 9-12. I haven't seen anything on here or other sites I trust. Can anyone confirm this info? http://slickdeals.ne...d.php?t=2959981

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,649 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:28 PM

Yep mentioned here:

http://www.dbstalk.c...811#post2787811

#3 OFFLINE   kanebogin

kanebogin

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:49 PM

It's here also:

http://www.freeprevi...or-directv.html

#4 OFFLINE   linuspbmo

linuspbmo

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:50 PM

Thanks, I didn't get to page 124.

#5 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 06:25 PM

Cool
Waiting for
BBCA HD

#6 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:59 PM

I've had the new Max channels listed in my guide even though I don't subscribe to Cinemax. Rebooting doesn't remove them. Does anyone know how I can get rid of them?

Although now that I write this, I guess I should just wait until this next round of previews is over.

#7 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,596 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:41 PM

I've had the new Max channels listed in my guide even though I don't subscribe to Cinemax. Rebooting doesn't remove them. Does anyone know how I can get rid of them?

Although now that I write this, I guess I should just wait until this next round of previews is over.

Make a custom favorite channels list.

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#8 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:20 PM

I'm going to have to see what movies are playing this weekend and set up the DVRs. Dates seem a bit odd though; all the previous free weekends I can remember were Friday (6am) - Monday (6am).

#9 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,596 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:30 PM

I'm going to have to see what movies are playing this weekend and set up the DVRs. Dates seem a bit odd though; all the previous free weekends I can remember were Friday (6am) - Monday (6am).

Didn't you go to college? Weekends start on Thursday night! :hurah:

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

#10 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 05 June 2011 - 11:23 PM

Because I was checking out what was coming up in this FreeView, I found D* started giving me free Showtime & Flix at the end of last month. It's on my bill with $0 listed. I don't know why yet.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#11 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,596 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:03 AM

Because I was checking out what was coming up in this FreeView, I found D* started giving me free Showtime & Flix at the end of last month. It's on my bill with $0 listed. I don't know why yet.

anniversary present

DIRECTV customer

#12 OFFLINE   SVTarHeel

SVTarHeel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 60 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:59 AM

We just switched to D* about 4 months ago. This free trial is the first I've seen since our original '3 months free' ended. Can you tell me how this works? Do the channels that are grayed out in the guide suddenly show up as watchable/recordable? Do I need to refresh something? Can I schedule a weekend recording early, prior to the time the free trial goes live? Does it start at midnight on the 9th?

Thanks in advance for any help.

#13 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,108 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:04 AM

I believe it gives you a warning that the recording may not happen, but let's you do it, and will work when you're authorized. I haven't done this in a while, I think the last one I did was when I set a recording for one of the DirecTV satellite launches.

Generally you won't have to do anything, it will light up on it's own. Also, any recordings you have that are still on the DVR will work after the free period ends.

#14 OFFLINE   Steveknj

Steveknj

Icon

• Registered
  • 923 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:46 AM

We just switched to D* about 4 months ago. This free trial is the first I've seen since our original '3 months free' ended. Can you tell me how this works? Do the channels that are grayed out in the guide suddenly show up as watchable/recordable? Do I need to refresh something? Can I schedule a weekend recording early, prior to the time the free trial goes live? Does it start at midnight on the 9th?

Thanks in advance for any help.

The best part, is if you record stuff (from the channel, not from OnDemand) you can keep them indefinitely. So if you don't have Showtime, and you record a movie on Showtime during the free preview, you can keep it. I have stuff I've recorded during other free previews that I haven't watched in a year!

#15 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:03 AM

Several of the deal sites (slickdeals) are reporting that D* will have a free weekend for premium channels on June 9-12. I haven't seen anything on here or other sites I trust. Can anyone confirm this info? http://slickdeals.ne...d.php?t=2959981

Every now and then there is something useful in your TV Mail, like the notification of the upcoming Premier Freeview this weekend I received on all my boxes. It doesn't hurt to take a peek occasionally.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#16 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:43 AM

This comes at a good time. My bill is usually generated around the 12th of the month and I intend to cancel my premiums soon after. Maybe the preview will make me think again.
When news breaks...we fix it.

#17 OFFLINE   Racer88

Racer88

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 03:48 PM

...and it's in your TVmail too.....

#18 OFFLINE   SVTarHeel

SVTarHeel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 60 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:10 PM

Thanks for the help. I've looked everywhere I know to look and all I see re: timing is "June 9-12"

Has anyone seen any news as to whether the preview starts at 12:00am, 6:00am, etc? Like trh said, I want to set up the DVR to catch a few movies I missed in theaters and didn't know how early to schedule things from the guide...

#19 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,876 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:33 PM

Usually they start at midnight local time.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#20 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:16 PM

Usually they start at midnight local time.

The last eight (8) free weekends started at 6AM Friday and ended 6AM Monday. But this free weekend is different in that it has HBO, STARZ, Showtime & Cinemax and it is Thursday through Sunday. The TVmail or the website don't list the start/end times.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...