Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Network & Tornado Victims

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fatpug

fatpug

AllStar

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:38 PM

I leave near Joplin MO. Fortunately my family is fine and we were not in the path of the tornado.

The local radio stations are broadcasting information 24x7 to help the community of Joplin. Many local and national businesses have offered help and donations for the victims.

Today a caller to the radio station said they heard that Dish Network will charge them for the receiver destroyed in their home by the tornado. Is this true that Dish Network does not make any allowance for a natural disaster?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:47 PM

Boy, that would be the worst PR move in history if they actually tried to do that.

Been to Joplin only once. Ate at a nice Chinese restaurant in the "downtown" area. Cannot remember the name. Was curious if that was the area that was hit. I have a friend that lives there, but his cell phone number is no longer valid, so just checking the obits, and hoping he doesnt show up.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   gpollock87

gpollock87

Legend

• No PM's
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:21 PM

I leave near Joplin MO. Fortunately my family is fine and we were not in the path of the tornado.

The local radio stations are broadcasting information 24x7 to help the community of Joplin. Many local and national businesses have offered help and donations for the victims.

Today a caller to the radio station said they heard that Dish Network will charge them for the receiver destroyed in their home by the tornado. Is this true that Dish Network does not make any allowance for a natural disaster?

it is also on dishes facebook page

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:58 PM

We got same case not that long time ago ... check the site.

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,916 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:13 PM

Is it bad PR? Maybe... But why should Dish give you a pass on a destroyed leased receiver?

Nobody gives you a free home replacement if you aren't insured... and even that doesn't cover all personal item losses.

I feel for people who have lost life, been injured, or otherwise devastated by these recent weather situations... but I'm not sure why anyone would expect Dish to eat that unless Dish made the offer on their own.

Where would it end?

Maybe GE should give everyone free appliances if they lost GE equipment... If you didn't have car insurance, you'd have to pay to get a new car for one lost in a storm.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:15 PM

Here we go again - no mercy, just steel shark's teeth... deja vu !

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,334 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:34 PM

Here we go again - no mercy, just steel shark's teeth... deja vu !

If you would like to show mercy perhaps you can start the "P Smith receiver replacement fund" to cover the cost of the lost receivers ... from BOTH DISH and DirecTV and any leased cable equipment as well.

When can and where should the storm victims send their claims? :rolleyes:

#8 OFFLINE   kcaudiofx

kcaudiofx

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:47 PM

Well its real sad if Dish (Or EVEN D*) Would do this to anyone! People are going through enough problems I am sure, financially, emotionally, etc.. I am sorry, but paying Dish OR D* for a receiver that was blown away with my house would be the very last thing I would think about paying, I am a business man myself and maybe not on a BIG scale like these companies, but if I was in their shoes, I would eat the money and possibly keep a customer or customers than roll the dice and squeeze the money out of the customers and lose them for good.. I myself think long term, but I know a lot of these big wig companies think short term.. All in All, Dish/Direct/Cable Co/ HAVE SOME SYMPATHY!

#9 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,718 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:06 PM

At first is sounds callous, but think of all the boxes destroyed over a year due to flooding, tornadoes, hurricanes, wildfires and other disasters.

Is it realistic to expect Dish to replace thousands or tens of thousands of boxes every year?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:11 PM

Not sure about thousands but hundreds - hell yes, those are on lease now and remember, each one of you paid in advance non-returning fee what will be more then enough to create a fund for cover lost during disasters like that.

#11 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,556 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:17 PM

If you think this is new, you might want to check with folks that have been involved in wildfires in Southern California over the past decade. Plenty of discussion here before.

Homeowners/renters insurance should cover the loss. If you're rich enough to go uninsured, should be no problem for you.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#12 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:19 PM

First, you dont RENT your fridge from GE. Second, rental equipment has a depreciation value. In some cases, you pay over half of that when you initially get the box. Is a 4 or 5 yr old box worth the same as a 1 month old box? According to the TOS's I have read, they make no distinction.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#13 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:20 PM

Insurance of some type should cover it, right? If there's insurance that does, but you don't have it...well, that's the chance you take. Life can suck.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:21 PM

I have that type of insurance, but I'm owning all the equipment.

#15 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,556 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:28 PM

First, you dont RENT your fridge from GE. Second, rental equipment has a depreciation value. In some cases, you pay over half of that when you initially get the box. Is a 4 or 5 yr old box worth the same as a 1 month old box? According to the TOS's I have read, they make no distinction.

Sure. I'm insured for replacement value. Otherwise if I lost my home, I'd be lucky to get 30% of what it would take to replace my stuff.

Be sure you have insurance, pay for replacement value. Otherwise you're self-insuring.

Of course, if the only thing lost was my 722, it would be my problem as I do have a deductible.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#16 OFFLINE   fatpug

fatpug

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:39 PM

Well its real sad if Dish (Or EVEN D*) Would do this to anyone! People are going through enough problems I am sure, financially, emotionally, etc.. I am sorry, but paying Dish OR D* for a receiver that was blown away with my house would be the very last thing I would think about paying, I am a business man myself and maybe not on a BIG scale like these companies, but if I was in their shoes, I would eat the money and possibly keep a customer or customers than roll the dice and squeeze the money out of the customers and lose them for good.. I myself think long term, but I know a lot of these big wig companies think short term.. All in All, Dish/Direct/Cable Co/ HAVE SOME SYMPATHY!

The local cable company does have some sympathy:

Cable One customers should not worry about their service or equipment that might have been lost in the Joplin tornado.

Melany Stroupe said that all subscribers will receive an automatic credit for a week’s worth of service. Customers will also not be held responsible for any equipment that was damaged or lost in the tornado.

No need to look for lost equipment

Cableone link with customer service quote

#17 OFFLINE   kcaudiofx

kcaudiofx

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:49 PM

The local cable company does have some sympathy:

Cable One customers should not worry about their service or equipment that might have been lost in the Joplin tornado.

Melany Stroupe said that all subscribers will receive an automatic credit for a week’s worth of service. Customers will also not be held responsible for any equipment that was damaged or lost in the tornado.

No need to look for lost equipment

Cableone link with customer service quote

Now these are stories I like to hear! Hopefully Dish and D* will follow..

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,334 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:54 PM

Not sure about thousands but hundreds - hell yes, those are on lease now and remember, each one of you paid in advance non-returning fee what will be more then enough to create a fund for cover lost during disasters like that.

I did not pay a "non-returning fee" in advance. The "non-returning fee" is billed AFTER one cancels service and fails to return the leased receiver.

Leased receivers are leased on a month to month basis for $7 to $20 per month per receiver (first receiver free). Some receivers (currently DVRs and especially the 922) carry an up front "lease upgrade fee" but NO receiver has an "advance non-returning fee".

DISH Network has a fee schedule that is provided when one signs up for service. If one does not agree with the fee schedule, one should not sign up for service. (And one should check with other providers to see what fees they charge.)

#19 OFFLINE   fatpug

fatpug

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:08 AM

DISH Network has a fee schedule that is provided when one signs up for service. If one does not agree with the fee schedule, one should not sign up for service. (And one should check with other providers to see what fees they charge.)

Wow...

Who checks a fee schedule for natural disaster damage before they sign up?

#20 OFFLINE   fatpug

fatpug

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:11 AM

He is another example of a company that does not stick to fee schedules and official policy. I received the following email today:

The PlayOn team like the rest of the country has been heartbroken by the news and images coming out of Joplin, MO. We know it's not much but we'd like to offer all of our past trial, basic, and premium subscribers in Joplin a free one-time license to PlayOn Premium. We realize that TV is probably the furthest thing from you mind right now, but these codes will not expire. So whether it's to save some money on a cable bill while you rebuild, access news and entertainment, or whatever you want to use it for...PlayOn is on us. Just visit the link below and enter your redemption code for your free copy. Your license will work for the life of the product.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...