Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Network & Tornado Victims

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,356 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:25 AM

Who checks a fee schedule for natural disaster damage before they sign up?

Responsible people.

No one questions who is responsible if something happens to a car that they lease. Get it stolen or in an accident (your fault or not) or have it damaged or destroyed in a storm and guess who is responsible? The person who leased the car. To protect that person insurance is normally required. Who pays for that insurance? The person who leased the car.

Yet for some reason other leases are not treated the same way? If you go to Aarons or RentACenter and lease furniture and electronics and it is destroyed the lease company just forgets about it? No. They expect their customers to insure the equipment they lease. It remains the customer's responsibility. Perhaps in this case with a whole community hurting there might be some leeway (waiting for the FEMA money to arrive) but their usual policy is the same as DISH. Take care of what you lease, you are responsible for it.

And as far a PlayOn's offer ... isn't that worse? Turning a disaster where a record number (and growing) number of lives were lost into a marketing opportunity? As Seth Meyers would say, "really?" Their offer is a publicity stunt.

DISH will likely end up writing off many of the unreturned or damaged receivers. When they do it will be a private matter, not a PR stunt.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   fatpug

fatpug

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:32 AM

Responsible people.

No one questions who is responsible if something happens to a car that they lease. Get it stolen or in an accident (your fault or not) or have it damaged or destroyed in a storm and guess who is responsible? The person who leased the car. To protect that person insurance is normally required. Who pays for that insurance? The person who leased the car.

Yet for some reason other leases are not treated the same way? If you go to Aarons or RentACenter and lease furniture and electronics and it is destroyed the lease company just forgets about it? No. They expect their customers to insure the equipment they lease. It remains the customer's responsibility. Perhaps in this case with a whole community hurting there might be some leeway (waiting for the FEMA money to arrive) but their usual policy is the same as DISH. Take care of what you lease, you are responsible for it.

And as far a PlayOn's offer ... isn't that worse? Turning a disaster where a record number (and growing) number of lives were lost into a marketing opportunity? As Seth Meyers would say, "really?" Their offer is a publicity stunt.

DISH will likely end up writing off many of the unreturned or damaged receivers. When they do it will be a private matter, not a PR stunt.

PR stunt is not correct. Playon sent me a private email.

I thought the purpose of a moderator was to keep the boards civil... Your comments do not help anyone.

Please delete my screen name and remove me from this forum. I no longer want to be a part of this.

#23 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,320 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:39 AM

To add to James' comments, I'm just baffled by the discussion here. If you've lost a home including all your belongings, the satellite TV company's box is hardly noticeable among your losses. And many in Joplin have lost family members.

When this kind of discussion occurred a couple of years ago relative to the wildfires, I wondered about people's priorities. Getting angry about Dish Network won't help anyone.

Donate some money to help these folks. If you can't figure out any other way, use a Dish Network Donation Channel discussed in another thread.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#24 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:40 AM

The more I think about it, the more I don't see an issue. Think of all the other rented and leased equipment lost, from cell phones to computers to vehicles. The end user is going to be responsible in the long run whether through insurance or FEMA. The companies can't be expected to eat all those losses.

And like I say, it isn't just Joplin. There have been several major incidents including Tuscaloosa. As I mentioned above, add in the wildfires, earthquakes, floods, other tornadoes ..... well you get the picture.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#25 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,356 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:53 AM

PR stunt is not correct. Playon sent me a private email.

Are you in Joplin? Or was this email sent to a wider audience?

It seems that the benefit of "looking good to customers" and "word of mouth" advertising (including you posting the email in public) creating interest in the company would outweigh any actual cost for the limited number of Joplin residents who would qualify under the offer. (I'm not saying that you are an intentional shill for the company, only that by sharing the offer in public you have helped that company promote itself.)

And while DISH probably could do something to "look good" it isn't a requirement.

Personally, I can't believe anyone in Joplin who lost a receiver is worried about the non-return fee at this point. It seems like there would be much more important concerns. If all they're worried about is satellite receiver non-return fees then they probably were not affected much.

If I were the radio host I would have moved on to more important matters. People looking for loved ones. People wanting the bodies released from the morgue. Priorities.

#26 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:13 AM

Can you point me directly to this story going around? I would like to see the story in writing with my own eyes. Otherwise it is just another rumor by someone who doen't like Dish. I heard the srory was being reported that this was a omcast exec that said there people that had a comcast box lost had to pony up $ 212 for there box replacement. So until I see it in print that Dish actually did this, then it is just another rumor with no factual bases. Let me see this story.

#27 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,750 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:17 AM

I did not pay a "non-returning fee" in advance. The "non-returning fee" is billed AFTER one cancels service and fails to return the leased receiver.

Leased receivers are leased on a month to month basis for $7 to $20 per month per receiver (first receiver free). Some receivers (currently DVRs and especially the 922) carry an up front "lease upgrade fee" but NO receiver has an "advance non-returning fee".

DISH Network has a fee schedule that is provided when one signs up for service. If one does not agree with the fee schedule, one should not sign up for service. (And one should check with other providers to see what fees they charge.)

Perhaps I spread too much, not all models, but there are other fees (mirror, phone line - it was brought a few mil $ before last Feb, etc), what we (14M customers, how many devices ?) paid, which could easily cover hundred receivers lost during that tragic day.

#28 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,356 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 02:03 AM

DISH charges a lot of fees for the services provided. None of them obligate the company to cover losses that will be covered by their customer's insurance (if insured).

Each customer is an individual case. Why treat the customers in Joplin any different than those in other communities who have also faced disaster? Only for PR value?

DISH isn't calling up customers and demanding cash today. DISH will handle the individual cases as they present themselves over time.

#29 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 02:10 AM

which could easily cover hundred receivers lost during that tragic day

What about all the thousands of receivers lost during all the other tragic days?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#30 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 May 2011 - 06:33 AM

To add to James' comments, I'm just baffled by the discussion here. If you've lost a home including all your belongings, the satellite TV company's box is hardly noticeable among your losses. And many in Joplin have lost family members.

When this kind of discussion occurred a couple of years ago relative to the wildfires, I wondered about people's priorities. Getting angry about Dish Network won't help anyone.

Donate some money to help these folks. If you can't figure out any other way, use a Dish Network Donation Channel discussed in another thread.

Exactly... This is deja vu all over again.

IF all you lost in a natural disaster was a Dish receiver... then you did good. IF you lost other things, then the Dish receiver is probably way down on your list of things to worry about... and I doubt Dish has been calling people and demanding payment right now! I'm sure it gets handled on a case-by-case basis over time.

Consider... IF you lost your home, that doesn't mean you get to stop making mortgage payments! IF you have insurance, you'll hopefully get reimbursed to replace the home... but you have to keep making your house payments. IF you don't have insurance, and can't afford to pay out of pocket replacement... you can bet you still have to make those mortgage payments for the nothing.

Also... as already posted earlier... Home (or renter) insurance would cover loss of a Dish receiver... IF you don't have insurance, then you are self-insuring and have that responsibility yourself.

I love how people want others to pay for stuff and replace their stuff for free... then will flip to the other side of the conversation and be adamant that they don't want to pay for other people's stuff, and suggest personal responsibility.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#31 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:06 AM

Dish has been in Business for what, 15 years? In those 15 years, how many tornado's, fires, hurricanes, etc have destroyed homes caused damage to customers receivers across the US?
Pretty sure Dish has had enough experience to this point to already have a plan in place. But bottom line is, if you don't have home/renters insurance, then it's your on fault...

#32 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,750 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:10 AM

What about all the thousands of receivers lost during all the other tragic days?

Those VP has enough in cash to pay $500M to TiVo, I don't see any problem to replace lost thousands receivers during natural disasters. Don't forget - E* has insuranse for those manufactured devices, satellites, etc. Especially leased receivers.

Send from my Foleo running old version of Opera without spell checker.

Edited by P Smith, 28 May 2011 - 10:36 AM.

#33 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:27 AM

E* probably DOESN'T have insurance on LEASED receivers. They're beyond their control; it's on your property and subject to your loss.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#34 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,750 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:34 AM

E* probably DOESN'T have insurance on LEASED receivers. They're beyond their control; it's on your property and subject to your loss.

Without looking thru those papers (E* is the manufacturer, not sure if they pass ownership to dish) your word is good as mine.

So, while your used correct word "probably", your conclusion is nonconclusive because of that missing knowledge.

#35 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:41 AM

Only responding because DIRECTV was brought up in this. If there is a natural disaster DIRECTV actually has policies in place and will replace equipment and waive non return fees.

While I'm all for companies making money this is a situation where a company needs to bite the bullet and replace them. They do more to get new customers so in an extreme situation like this they should do the same to keep existing.

#36 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,356 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:31 PM

So, while your used correct word "probably", your conclusion is nonconclusive because of that missing knowledge.

So you're more right because you're more certain? The moon is made of cheese. I am certain. And those who say "probably not" are wrong ... so I am proven right by their statements. :rolleyes:

DISH publishes their financials ... if you can find where leased receivers are insured that will prove your assumption. Otherwise the best place to look is the residential customer agreement or the specific agreement signed when leasing a receiver. It clearly states that if the receiver is returned damaged or not returned the customer WILL remain liable.

#37 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:07 PM

Yeah... why wouldn't people just claim their receiver was damaged due to a lightning surge and that Dish needed to replace it for free... in order to get a new receiver. Easy peasy, IF Dish were on the hook for the receivers at all times for all reasons.

Part of the agreement you sign includes your acceptance of responsibility for those receivers and to take care of them while in your home.

IF DirecTV replaces for free in cases like this... good for them. Dish too could do something in these situations on a case-by-case basis.

In my state, for example... FEMA has rejected a lot of claims of loss due to the tornadoes that swept through NC a while back... so if FEMA isn't paying, why would Dish?

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#38 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,750 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 28 May 2011 - 03:30 PM

Why we should put all eggs in one basket ? FEMA and dish .. Perhaps you could add DTV also - see post#35.
Nah, that's not fit in the painted picture. :D

#39 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,356 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 05:45 PM

See posts 21, 28 and 37. :)

#40 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,750 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:50 PM

We will see how it will goes with Joplin's ppl who are dish customers ...

spam firewall