Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Network & Tornado Victims

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Lucavex

Lucavex

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 04:46 AM

I read through all of this, and I see the vitriol being spewed back and forth, and one simple thought comes to mind.

Where is the story? If it was on a radio show, I want a link to listen to that excerpt. I want to hear/see the story with my own two eyes/ears. I want to confirm that this has actually happened. If nobody can pony up proof of this story, then it's clearly just hearsay and rumor with zero basis in fact or customer experience.

Or in layman's terms: "Someone be trollin' hard."

Should this story turn out to be true, then why even discuss it? Seriously? A Dish Network Receiver? They're mad about being charged for that? I'm sure I'm echoing the sentiments of many others here when I say If all they're upset about is a missing/destroyed Dish Network Receiver, their problems clearly are not issues of basic necessities or human life. Additionally, whatever story there is to be had from this, nobody should be hyping this up or getting indignant when there are clearly much more important things to worrying about in Joplin aside from a few receivers.

That anyone would bring this up at all, and try make a big deal of it, is just deplorable. Using something like the tragedy in Joplin to blast a company on claims they can't even back up? Low, man. Real low.

Edited by Lucavex, 29 May 2011 - 06:28 AM.
I can't grammar. :<

The color differs from my own but.. Would you express them in your own hues, and paint.. for me?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   scorpion43

scorpion43

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 120 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 06:43 AM

I read through all of this, and I see the vitriol being spewed back and forth, and one simple thought comes to mind.

Where is the story? If it was on a radio show, I want a link to listen to that excerpt. I want to hear/see the story with my own two eyes/ears. I want to confirm that this has actually happened. If nobody can pony up proof of this story, then it's clearly just hearsay and rumor with zero basis in fact or customer experience.

Or in layman's terms: "Someone be trollin' hard."

Should this story turn out to be true, then why even discuss it? Seriously? A Dish Network Receiver? They're mad about being charged for that? I'm sure I'm echoing the sentiments of many others here when I say If all they're upset about is a missing/destroyed Dish Network Receiver, their problems clearly are not issues of basic necessities or human life. Additionally, whatever story there is to be had from this, nobody should be hyping this up or getting indignant when there are clearly much more important things to worrying about in Joplin aside from a few receivers.

That anyone would bring this up at all, and try make a big deal of it, is just deplorable. Using something like the tragedy in Joplin to blast a company on claims they can't even back up? Low, man. Real low.

i agree

#43 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 735 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:18 AM

Didn't Dish run a commercial after Katrina where they fixed everyone's setups for free (or at least gave that impression)? Of course, it wouldn't be the first time that Satellite TV providers stretched the truth on their ads.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#44 OFFLINE   Mr-Rick

Mr-Rick

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:45 AM

If DISH is going to require payment for leased receivers lost in a natural disaster, it is flat out wrong as I see it.

Chances are the majority of the receivers were older SD receivers (322,625, etc.) which would have been replaced eventually. If anything, the customer will now be upgraded to new equipment. Heck, DISH doesn't even have to pay for the return shipping fees or the disposal fees upon receipt! Dish asking for a two year agreement to upgrade the customer (new dish, wiring, receivers, a new install, and Free Starz! for a year) is not asking too much from the customer.

These leased receivers have been paid for many times over. An old 322 receiver as a secondary unit charges $14 a month. Those receivers have been around for YEARS and have earned DISH millions.

However, if the customer OWNS the receivers, they should consult their insurance company for replacement.

Edited by Mr-Rick, 29 May 2011 - 10:47 AM.
clarity

#45 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,172 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:15 AM

I leave near Joplin MO. Fortunately my family is fine and we were not in the path of the tornado.

The local radio stations are broadcasting information 24x7 to help the community of Joplin. Many local and national businesses have offered help and donations for the victims.

Today a caller to the radio station said they heard that Dish Network will charge them for the receiver destroyed in their home by the tornado. Is this true that Dish Network does not make any allowance for a natural disaster?

Hopefully that's not true. Maybe he heard wrong. If true Dish Network has a PR problem. I feel so sorry for those people who lost their homes.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#46 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,172 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:28 AM

Can you point me directly to this story going around? I would like to see the story in writing with my own eyes. Otherwise it is just another rumor by someone who doen't like Dish. I heard the srory was being reported that this was a omcast exec that said there people that had a comcast box lost had to pony up $ 212 for there box replacement. So until I see it in print that Dish actually did this, then it is just another rumor with no factual bases. Let me see this story.

Good point!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#47 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,857 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 May 2011 - 02:09 PM

If DISH is going to require payment for leased receivers lost in a natural disaster, it is flat out wrong as I see it.

Why?

If you rent furniture from a store... and you lose that furniture in a flood or worse... is the furniture store going to let you off the hook? Or will they expect you to pay for the furniture you can't return to them?

Same for if you lease a car... except, with a car lease you are required to have insurance which will cover the loss of the car... so it evens out.

Your home will not be replaced by the mortgage company... you will either have to pay out of pocket OR file a claim with your insurance company OR perhaps FEMA will chip in... but the builder nor the lender are going to replace your house from their dime.

So why do people expect Dish to replace receivers?

IF you have a riding lawnmower... and you loan it to your neighbor to use on his yard... and while he has it in his garage, a tornado hits his garage and destroys your riding lawnmower... Are you going to just go out and buy another one yourself? Or aren't you going to demand that your neighbor pay (either out of pocket or through his insurance) to replace your mower? Be honest.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#48 OFFLINE   Mr-Rick

Mr-Rick

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 02:23 PM

Why?

If you rent furniture from a store... and you lose that furniture in a flood or worse... is the furniture store going to let you off the hook? Or will they expect you to pay for the furniture you can't return to them?

Same for if you lease a car... except, with a car lease you are required to have insurance which will cover the loss of the car... so it evens out.

Your home will not be replaced by the mortgage company... you will either have to pay out of pocket OR file a claim with your insurance company OR perhaps FEMA will chip in... but the builder nor the lender are going to replace your house from their dime.

IF you have a riding lawnmower... and you loan it to your neighbor to use on his yard... and while he has it in his garage, a tornado hits his garage and destroys your riding lawnmower... Are you going to just go out and buy another one yourself? Or aren't you going to demand that your neighbor pay (either out of pocket or through his insurance) to replace your mower? Be honest.

Furniture, Cars, homes, riding lawn mowers, add whatever you want....those are big ticket items. We are talking about cheap satellite receivers. Many of which are fully depreciated. We were talking about public relations and the effect it will have on DISH. To replace receivers for these customers who pay monthly for service and can go where ever they want for "TV", I would replace those leased receivers for free if I were in charge at DISH.

What could it possibly cost them? It would cost if the customer had a bunch of 722's or 922's in their home, but home many people have that? Again, if they had cheap SD you can even do your upgrade to Mpeg4 now. It was going to have to happen eventually. Besides, there is a fire sale on the SD equipment now so DISH doesn't care about those receivers any more.

I see it like the electric meter. It is owned by the electric company. Never heard of the utility charging the customer for the cost of a new electric meter lost to a disaster.

#49 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,249 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:21 PM

If a tornado took out my neighbor's garage and not my house I'd be extremely happy.

BTW: Don't read that as a desire to see my neighbor's garage wrecked ... just given the option I wouldn't be worried about my mower.

Of course, that assumes that I like that neighbor enough to let them borrow my lawnmower - and not return it to my house immediately when finished.

Furniture, Cars, homes, riding lawn mowers, add whatever you want....those are big ticket items. We are talking about cheap satellite receivers.

No, we're not. We're talking about expensive receivers with a non-return penalty. Paid for owned receivers don't have a non-return penalty. Leased receivers have a non-return fee as stated in the contract: "All standard-definition receivers (301, 311, 322, 381, 512, 522, 625), $100; high-definition (HD) non-DVR receiver (211, 211k, 222, 222k, 411), $200; HD DVR receiver (612, 622, 722, 722k), $300; and SlingLoaded™ DVR receiver (922), $400."

These are the fees one agreed to when one agrees to the lease. Don't like it? Don't lease.

DISH is NOT going to charge people for the non-return of old owned receivers ... and I expect that at the end of the story when people need a new receiver they will be able to lease a replacement. Regardless of the oddly timed complaint allegedly heard on the radio.

Besides, there is a fire sale on the SD equipment now so DISH doesn't care about those receivers any more.

Who says the lost receivers are all SD? Nobody affected in Joplin had HD?

I see it like the electric meter. It is owned by the electric company. Never heard of the utility charging the customer for the cost of a new electric meter lost to a disaster.

I don't recall signing a lease agreement on my electric meter. Did you sign one? Honestly? When one cancels electric service in your town do they remove the meter and return it to the power company? No one around here does that. :rolleyes:

If you have to compare a piece of satellite equipment to an electric meter look at the dish. That is the piece of technology that takes the signal from outside of the home and brings it inside the home. When one moves they leave the dish behind (with DISH's hope that the next person will use it). Just like an electric meter. One doesn't leave leased receivers behind ... unless one wants to pay the $100-$400 per receiver fees.

#50 OFFLINE   jep8821

jep8821

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:29 PM

Why?

Remind me to NEVER move next to you. First, with regards to the mower, I would be more worried about my neighbor and their well being and HELPING them get back on their feet rather than some stupid lawnmower I let them borrow. If you were my neighber and you took that tone w/ me or a fellow neighbor, I would call you a heartless SOB. If it was my lawnmower, I would probably refuse any attempt for them to pay for it unless they made it perfectly clear that their insurance was picking up the tab.

Dish network Stands to lose more by NOT writing those expenses off. I agree that Dish Network doesn't HAVE to but.... they should. It makes business sense to. One, your competitors in the Joplin market have already said they won't make customers pay. In order to stay competitve in Joplin, you have to follow suit. Two, it shows good will. Companies that go above and beyond will build loyality with current and potential customers.

Thanks.

Jason
All Owned:
HR34-700
HR24-500
HR23-100
HR21-200
SWM 16
DECA (self installed)

#51 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:33 PM

Wonder why none of the D.I.R.T. members dont just post the truth, and end the speculation of what will happen.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#52 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:43 PM

I am duboius about this story, however, WHO'S RESPONSIBILITY IS IT??

If you have insurance, they will cover it (unless you are under-insured).

If you did not have insurance - you've made your bed.

I pay several thousand dollars annually in home insurance that will cover replacement of my home an dcontents - If you don't - you've made your bed.

If you can't afford insurance - you should be on an antenna at most.

If you can afford it and still don't have it - no pitty.

Those who lost everything, who cares about a satellite box anyway. A couple of hundred dollars is nothing to think about in those times.

But you cannot rake a company over the coals for a possibly fabricated story about hypothetical people for hypothetical losses that are not the company's responsibility. Look at real true facts and work from there.

There is nothing in my house for which I do not have replacement responsibility. If it's borrowed, if it's leased, if i bought it, if it's destroyed while in my posession, it's my responsibility, not the provider's.

Buck up America, take responsibility, don't ask for a company, or the government out of the goodness of their heart to take on your responsibility - REMEMBER - they have no heart, only people have hearts.

Maybe your friends and neighbors will (and should) help, but demanding help is selfishness and greed - you become a leech off society.

Maybe the real truth will show Dish waiving some of the fees, that would be magnanimous of them, but NO ONE should demand it - more selfishness and greed.

Edited by Jim5506, 29 May 2011 - 03:49 PM.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#53 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:48 PM

Wonder why none of the D.I.R.T. members dont just post the truth, .....

I noticed a DIRT reading and was expecting a post.

Guess not.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#54 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:52 PM

You assume they are privy to corporate decisions here??

You assume they know if the story is true or not??

It is not their job or responsibility.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#55 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,249 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 04:00 PM

If there was an actual person in Joplin who had lost their receiver(s) in the tornado participating here I'm sure the DishIRT people would be glad to take their information via PM and do whatever DISH can do for that customer.

I don't see a reason for DishIRT to get publicly involved in speculation about what might happen when a customer calls in to report the loss of their equipment. They are here to help customers, not debate policy.

#56 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 04:06 PM

Back on page one of this thread someone mentions that the message is posted on the Dish FB page. I don't do teeney-bopper fads so I won't be going there, but if it were policy a DIRT could post it here without speculation.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#57 OFFLINE   jep8821

jep8821

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 04:10 PM

Most people JUST DON'T GET IT. A lot of these people LOST everything including their JOBS, their houses and potentially some friends and family. This devistated the city. Minor expenses now become Major problems. Let's go over how this might be going down for some of the people in Joplin. Your House.. gone, your cars... gone.... your Job... gone.. No severance pay... no last paycheck.... Your now living on credit cards and the help of others. Insurance... got it... but how long before I get money. How long for adjustors to do their job. Your now staying w/ friends / relatives etc. NO new income coming in right now. It hits you now, you have to start calling the phone company, the gas company, the cable/satellite company, etc. Dish answers the phone and when you say your house was destroyed and you need to terminate service, they say fine, we will charge that credit card $$$ which is the same credit card you NEED to use to keep your family going because the receivers were destroyed. THE SMALL THINGS ADD UP. When a company like dish or direct can help.....just do it. Show some compassion.
All Owned:
HR34-700
HR24-500
HR23-100
HR21-200
SWM 16
DECA (self installed)

#58 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,249 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 04:21 PM

Back on page one of this thread someone mentions that the message is posted on the Dish FB page. I don't do teeney-bopper fads so I won't be going there, but if it were policy a DIRT could post it here without speculation.

Since there is no link to where it is on DISH's Facebook it is hard to say ... but there are a lot of comments on Facebook that are not made by DISH. It was probably in some other user's comments.

Most people JUST DON'T GET IT. A lot of these people LOST everything including their JOBS, their houses and potentially some friends and family. This devistated the city. Minor expenses now become Major problems.

Yes ... anyone here lose their home in Joplin? Has anyone here been asked to pony up the dough for a missing receiver? Anyone? Anyone?

Those people actually affected ARE taking care of the more pressing problems.

#59 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,548 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 29 May 2011 - 04:39 PM

I still don't get an expectation that Dish or any other national company absorb the loss of leased equipment. Maybe the big picture is difficult to see?

Tornado damage is only one disaster loss type. Here's the big picture for April and May for this one type of loss:

AIR Worldwide of Boston estimates insured losses from the April 22-28 tornadoes in the Southeast at between $3.7 billion and $5.5 billion. Hartwig said that the past week's storms in Joplin, Mo., and in other states may add an additional $2 billion or more, including $1 billion in Joplin alone.

But that's only only one type of natural disaster affecting Americans right now! For instance, there's flooding in Montana:

http://cmsimg.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=G1&Date=20110529&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=105290301&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0

In the meantime, we have this:

South Dakota appealed for bulldozers and operators and called up 200 more National Guard troops on Sunday in a race to finish levees before heavy Missouri River flows reach the capital, officials said.

The U.S. government plans to step up releases from several dams along the Missouri River in early June to relieve pressure on reservoirs swollen by heavy rains and melting winter snowcaps from Montana through North and South Dakota.

South Dakota Governor Dennis Daugaard on Sunday said he would call up additional troops and sought bulldozers and operators to support construction crews, but urged residents of Pierre and Fort Pierre to be prepared for the worst.

"While we will work urgently around the clock to get these levees constructed, individuals must assume the worst, that the levees may not be completed in time and if completed they may not hold," Daugaard said.

Then if you want another type of disaster to talk about, how about this:

A partially contained wildfire in a rural area of Southern California was threatening homes Saturday, forestry officials said.

...About 400 homes around the lake were evacuated and 100 were considered threatened Friday night, Kern County fire officials told the Los Angeles Times.

If you search "wildfire' on Google News you'll also find stories about homes lost in the past two months in the Southwest and the Southeast. (I started up my Fire season 2011 begins thread in February and am remiss in keeping it up.)

And right now there's a mudslide threatening homes in Alton, IL.

This is why people buy homeowners and renters insurance and why companies like Dish expect to be reimbursed for their lost equipment.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#60 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 05:05 PM

I believe in a flood, you have plenty of time and warning to remove your furniture, satellite equipment. Same with a hurricane. I highly doubt with 5 to 24 MINUTES of warning, you are going to be concerned with saving anything except your life and your family.

I every ONE of the above examples, there is time to remove items from your home (except perhaps the people in immediate danger from wildfire).

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

Protected By... spam firewall...And...