Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Network & Tornado Victims

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,543 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 29 May 2011 - 05:40 PM

I believe in a flood, you have plenty of time and warning to remove your furniture, satellite equipment. Same with a hurricane. I highly doubt with 5 to 24 MINUTES of warning, you are going to be concerned with saving anything except your life and your family.

I every ONE of the above examples, there is time to remove items from your home (except perhaps the people in immediate danger from wildfire).

All I can tell you is that my in-laws had less than 15 minutes to grab some photos and valuables before they had to leave because of a flood. In less than an hour the water reached the ceiling of the 2nd story along with the mud and the heating oil.

They lost most everything though the house was cleaned up and remodeled. No time to move the refrigerator. The TV and other small appliances really were not on "the save at any risk" list.

As someone whose been the guy in charge for local government, I can tell you it's rare that people move their stuff. If you have some lead time like with hurricanes today people board up windows, but they don't gather up the small appliances.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:00 PM

For those of you here saying that Dish should just absorb the cost and pay for all lost receivers in natural disasters. Please don't come back here whining and b**ching when your Dish bill goes up next time, because guess who will end up having to cover those lost costs...yep YOU!
So by saying that Dish should just eat it, then I say next rate hike, you should just eat it!

#63 OFFLINE   jep8821

jep8821

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:17 PM

For those of you here saying that Dish should just absorb the cost and pay for all lost receivers in natural disasters. Please don't come back here whining and b**ching when your Dish bill goes up next time, because guess who will end up having to cover those lost costs...yep YOU!
So by saying that Dish should just eat it, then I say next rate hike, you should just eat it!

First off, Directv and Dish Network for YEARS GAVE equipment away that WAS OWNED not LEASED. People forget what dish and direct are really selling.... IT is a MONTHY programming subscription. W/O a box, you can't get it. They need users to HAVE boxes as much as the users do. W/O a box, people won't subscribe to their service. People want to compare a leased reciever to a leased car, a leased appliance, those comparisons are fundamentally flawed. You lease a car from FORD or CHEVY and not from a gas company like Shell gas. When you lease a car from Ford, you don't agree to put $$$ of shell gas in that car per month. Ford gets no money back per month from Shell because you put their brand of gas in it. Same way with appliances. You don't lease a washer from TIDE w/ the agreement that you will put $$$ of tide in there per month. Name me any other monthly subscription service that you Lease equipment from.
All Owned:
HR34-700
HR24-500
HR23-100
HR21-200
SWM 16
DECA (self installed)

#64 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:43 PM

First off, Directv and Dish Network for YEARS GAVE equipment away that WAS OWNED not LEASED.

I paid for my owned equipment up front. At the time there was a rebate plan that refunded the cost of the equipment by reducing the monthly bill for a couple of years.

Perhaps you know more about your own service provider than DISH. DISH doesn't give away receivers for free. Everything for the past few years has been leased or sold at a retail price.

They need users to HAVE boxes as much as the users do. W/O a box, people won't subscribe to their service.

Which is why they lease their boxes ... to make getting the service more affordable. They DO NOT give away their boxes. It is more important for DISH to stay in business so they can continue to collect monthly subscriptions. Giving away receivers would raise the cost of doing business to the point of putting them out of business.

Name me any other monthly subscription service that you Lease equipment from.

Do you have a monthly subscription to Shell gas? Pay it whether or not you use their fuel? It seems that irrelevant comparisons abound!

The commitment that DISH Network subscribers make when agreeing to lease equipment is the point here. If one doesn't like that commitment they can find another provider. The era of giving out free receivers and recouping the cost in monthly revenue is OVER ... it ended a long time ago. Look around - you are more likely to find service providers with an upfront equipment charge or required lease than anyone giving anything away.

#65 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:09 PM

First off, Directv and Dish Network for YEARS GAVE equipment away that WAS OWNED not LEASED. People forget what dish and direct are really selling.... IT is a MONTHY programming subscription. W/O a box, you can't get it. They need users to HAVE boxes as much as the users do. W/O a box, people won't subscribe to their service. Name me any other monthly subscription service that you Lease equipment from.

There is so much wrong with your statements it is hard to know where to begin. Remember you are posting to people who have had Dish and or Direct for many many years, myself included. Dish has never given away receivers, especially in the era of DVR's.

You want examples? Many rent their water heater from their oil company, while getting automatic delivery - a subscription. Many rent their modem while subscribing to their internet provider. For years people rented their phone from the phone companies. The electronic rental company here will rent you new movie releases (programming) when they first come out, only if you rent their Blu-ray player. (Receiver)

Edited by tampa8, 29 May 2011 - 08:18 PM.

#66 OFFLINE   jep8821

jep8821

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:18 PM

I want to make it clear on a couple of points. One if the user wants to continue service with new equipment, I have no problem with dish requiring a new contract to REPLACE the equipment. If they want just cancel because of having no house, I can see maybe still charging the early termination charge (even though I would wave it). My problem is when you add on charges because they can't return the equipment because of a natural dissaster. Dish Network needs to go thru the "give 'Em the pickle" training!!!
All Owned:
HR34-700
HR24-500
HR23-100
HR21-200
SWM 16
DECA (self installed)

#67 OFFLINE   jep8821

jep8821

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:22 PM

There is so much wrong with your statements it is hard to know where to begin. Remember you are posting to people who have had Dish and or Direct for many many years, myself included. Dish has never given away receivers, especially in the era of DVR's.

Sorry to break it to you but Dish has GIVEN RECEIVERS AWAY. When I still had C band years ago, dish was running promo mailings GIVING away 2 reciever setups to get people to switch. I had dish by the way. But it was a loooong time ago. I had the first DVR dish EVER offered. The dishplayer 7100. I had it before it could even record. I got it so early on that it didn't even always buffer. When you hit the the pause, it had to activate the buffer. I ended up leaving dish after the dishplayer 7100/7200 debacle.

Edited by jep8821, 29 May 2011 - 08:34 PM.
added more info

All Owned:
HR34-700
HR24-500
HR23-100
HR21-200
SWM 16
DECA (self installed)

#68 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:29 PM

Sorry to break it to you but Dish has GIVEN RECEIVERS AWAY. When I still had C band years ago, dish was running promo mailings GIVING away 2 reciever setups to get people to switch

Which was what, 15 years ago.
And considering the extremely long list of Direct Receivers you have listed, it's obvious you don't have a dog in this hunt.

#69 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:38 PM

I ended up leaving dish after the dishplayer 7100/7200 debacle.

The world has changed a lot since then. Perhaps you need to catch up with how the industry works TODAY. :rolleyes:

#70 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:39 PM

4 pages and 60 + posts on something that shouldn't even be a debate.. Based on hearsay, with no proof, and a handful of people that immediately assume companies should give things away in a disaster.

Many companies do give quite a few things during disasters, most don't try and go around and say "look what I did", if it gets some publicity without them going out of there way to do it, and they get some kudos, more power to them.

However, a few hundred dollar sat receiver, when most people don't have a house, some people are missing, hundreds dead in severe weather, and there is a debate on whether Dish should replace them for nothing, this is the least of these people's worries.

Some people really need to get a life...
Norm

#71 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,853 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:57 PM

Furniture, Cars, homes, riding lawn mowers, add whatever you want....those are big ticket items. We are talking about cheap satellite receivers. Many of which are fully depreciated. We were talking about public relations and the effect it will have on DISH. To replace receivers for these customers who pay monthly for service and can go where ever they want for "TV", I would replace those leased receivers for free if I were in charge at DISH.

At whose expense would you do this? Your own salary? Your employees salaries? The receivers have to be paid for... so if you are giving away replacements and waiving fees for non-returned lease receivers... someone at the company has to pay for that.

Maybe you would just raise the price on the bill the next year to recoup your losses on paying for those replacements?

What could it possibly cost them?

Money... and potentially lots of it if there are a lot of receivers to be replaced.

Some people are behaving as if they think companies just have piles of money sitting around.

Why can't these people pay to replace their own receivers if it costs so little? On the one hand some are saying it is major devastation to have to pay for a lost receiver... on the other it is "cheap" so why can't Dish pay? You can't have it both ways.

I see it like the electric meter. It is owned by the electric company. Never heard of the utility charging the customer for the cost of a new electric meter lost to a disaster.

Not a good example. You don't lease your power meter... You pay for electricity. The meter determines how much you use, so they know how much to bill you... It behooves them to make sure you have a working meter installed!

Dish doesn't charge you to calculate your bill each month... and you don't have to buy them a new calculator if theirs breaks.

Remind me to NEVER move next to you. First, with regards to the mower, I would be more worried about my neighbor and their well being and HELPING them get back on their feet rather than some stupid lawnmower I let them borrow.

Sorry... Where did I say I didn't care and wouldn't be concerned about my neighbor? The two are not mutually exclusive!

I can care about my neighbor and offer to help them... but how does my yard get mowed?

I live in a HOA that sends out nasti-grams if you don't mow your yard on schedule. So... say I've loaned my mower to a neighbor who loses it in a storm... then I can't mow my yard and I can't afford to buy a new mower either... so now I can't mow my yard, the HOA sends me nasty letters and threatens me if I don't.

Everything is connected... You want your Dish receiver replaced for free... but you don't care that you lost your neighbor's mower and you are causing him trouble that will cost him money.

Companies that go above and beyond will build loyality with current and potential customers.

You're kidding, right?

The same people who complain that Dish is robbing them when the price of service goes up $2 per month? These same people will be "loyal" customers to Dish forever because Dish ate the cost of a lost receiver?

This forum is filled with people who have been 5-10 year Dish customers who threaten to move to DirecTV or cable to save a few bucks a month for a year... so I seriously doubt any of them will remember that Dish forgave them a receiver lost to storm damage.

Most people JUST DON'T GET IT. A lot of these people LOST everything including their JOBS, their houses and potentially some friends and family. This devistated the city. Minor expenses now become Major problems. Let's go over how this might be going down for some of the people in Joplin. Your House.. gone, your cars... gone.... your Job... gone.. No severance pay... no last paycheck.... Your now living on credit cards and the help of others. Insurance... got it... but how long before I get money. How long for adjustors to do their job. Your now staying w/ friends / relatives etc. NO new income coming in right now. It hits you now, you have to start calling the phone company, the gas company, the cable/satellite company, etc. Dish answers the phone and when you say your house was destroyed and you need to terminate service, they say fine, we will charge that credit card $$$ which is the same credit card you NEED to use to keep your family going because the receivers were destroyed. THE SMALL THINGS ADD UP. When a company like dish or direct can help.....just do it. Show some compassion.

We get it. We also get personal responsibility.

ALL of these people who have been devastated have far more things to worry about than their Dish Network... and to be fair, no one in this thread has actually proven that Dish has forced anyone to pay for a lost receiver yet.

Meanwhile... IF these people are insured, then their Dish receivers will be covered by insurance... IF these people are NOT insured, then that's a choice they made... to save money... and they don't get a free pass for not having insurance.

I don't think Dish is harassing people over this... someone has just stirred up this argument on the internet.

I'm just arguing that IF it comes to pass... I would be grateful if Dish waived such fees, but I wouldn't expect it. They don't owe me that. People sure seem to have a sense of entitlement about things... but then when it comes time to pay for something, they don't want to pay for it!

There's a very real "I want to be covered, but I don't want to pay for other people's problems" vibe going on in this country right now. It's amazing.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#72 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:28 PM

I suppose we could move to a world in which Dish, plus car, house, furniture, refrigerator, vacuum, etc. companies replaced items whenever there was a disaster/fire etc. Then we wouldn't need homeowners insurance. Of course, the prices of those items would rise by an amount that would probably work out to be just about the same as the old insurance since now all of those companies would be supplying replacements, hiring claims adjusters etc. Seems like it would work out about the same only now a victim would have maybe 50 claims adjusters to deal with instead of 1 or 2.

Of course, if one or more of those companies wants to help out, that's OK with me. And I would expect the homeowners insurance adjustment to be reduced by the value that the other company helps out with. Again, seems kind of the same to me.

#73 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,698 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:28 PM

Meanwhile... IF these people are insured, then their Dish receivers will be covered by insurance...

Which we still all pay for one way or another.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#74 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 571 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:07 PM

First and foremost, we hope the lost or damaged pieces of equipment are the biggest issues you have during a time like this. To us, that would be a blessing.

DIRT is here to help you with regard to your DISH Network gear, and we will work quickly and to the best of our ability to provide you with comfort and piece of mind. You have enough to worry about, and we will handle the rest. Our thoughts are with everyone affected by this disaster.

PM any member of DIRT and we will resolve your issues quickly with regard to this.

Matthew "Speedy" Gonzales
Social Media

Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 11a-10p MT.  Off: Weds/Sat/Sun.

#75 OFFLINE   Mr-Rick

Mr-Rick

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:01 PM

Well you certainly don't own your electric meter do you? I don't own mine and I can't disconnect it or tamper with it. When it goes bad, the electric company replaces it. And they get a check from me every month. The cost of that meter is in the electric rate.

The bottom line is this, SD receivers are still the majority. They have been fully depreciated. It would cost DISH more in bad publicity than it would cost to replace it for free. Heck a 625 goes for $50 nowadays. The moment DISH starts to jam people for early terminations or not returning a satellite receiver that has probably been blown into the next county, they will pay a steep price in customer relations.

We are talking 2000 buildings/homes were damaged/destroyed in Joplin. If DISH has 20% of the market, that's 400 full replacements. Even if it cost DISH $600 per home, it's only $240,000. This amount is nothing to a multi-BILLION dollar corporation that profited $500 million last quarter. Pennies.

Any cable company that caught onto this would exploit this in full page ads in the newspaper once things start to settle down.

#76 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,049 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:12 PM

Which was what, 15 years ago.
And considering the extremely long list of Direct Receivers you have listed, it's obvious you don't have a dog in this hunt.

Less then that; at least when I did installs in 2000-2004 years.

#77 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:24 PM

All I can tell you is that my in-laws had less than 15 minutes to grab some photos and valuables before they had to leave because of a flood. In less than an hour the water reached the ceiling of the 2nd story along with the mud and the heating oil.

I would consider that a flash flood. A flood (not flash) would be what we have around here every year. They tell you a week or more in advance what the expected water level will rise to. I understand you dont always have time in a flash flood, but those are pretty limited to small areas, and are usually listed as being in a flood plain by the government, in which case, it would probably be required by your mortgage company that you carry flood insurance as a prerequisite to get your loan. Tornadoes are pretty much all alone in that they can drop anywhere, for any distance, give little to no warning, and wipe out major metro areas. Even flash floods rarely affect metro areas, which usually have flood walls or levys to protect them from a sudden surge of water from a Thunderstorm.

I suspect, when all is said and done, there are very few homeowners in Joplin who did not have insurance. Whether the cost to rebuild (at todays dollar) is higher or lower than the payment they will get, might cause them to build smaller, etc. Most should cover contents as well. For those few (renters w/o insurance, people who have a crappy insurance company that tries to avoid paying, etc), I would think the Dish company or cable co would be happier excusing them from their contract/lost receiver fee, and keep a customer...spread goodwill and PR...etc.

If they dont, then they are entirely within their rights if their TOS so states, but a tax writeoff on the loss would be a much wiser decision, business wise. As much as the TV providers spend in advertising, how much advertising would it take to counter ONE bad story from Joplin, or Alabama getting picked up by the national media?

And I am speaking in general terms of providers, not one in particular. Since the DIRT team has replied with that companies position, and it sounds to me like they will work with individuals, I would say that is a good company position.

Edited by Davenlr, 29 May 2011 - 11:35 PM.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#78 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:40 PM

Well you certainly don't own your electric meter do you?

Do you lease your electric meter? Did you sign a contract when you began electric service at your home with specific penalties for not returning that meter when you terminated electrical service? No.

DISH Network customers with leased equipment HAVE signed such a contract. And that should be the end of the crazy comparisons to things people don't lease - but I'm sure there will be more. :rolleyes:

The moment DISH starts to jam people for early terminations or not returning a satellite receiver that has probably been blown into the next county, they will pay a steep price in customer relations.

Fine ... yet another prediction of the downfall of DISH Network over some small rumor. I'm sure it will be just as accurate as all of the previous predictions of doom for DISH.

This amount is nothing to a multi-BILLION dollar corporation that profited $500 million last quarter. Pennies.

Joplin isn't that special. Read the thread above and consider replacing all of the receivers lost in floods and other natural disasters. Then add in all the individual problems such as house fires, etc. Why should the people of Joplin be treated any different than anyone else who lost it all including leased receivers?

DISH didn't make money every year since 2002 by writing off costs that do not need to be written off.

Any cable company that caught onto this would exploit this in full page ads in the newspaper once things start to settle down.

Yes, there are always those who will take advantage of a tragedy for their own self promotion and profit. That isn't something to be proud of, is it?

DISH will deal with their Joplin customers as they have with others who have faced a disaster and in the process lost a receiver. On an individual basis.

#79 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,698 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:35 AM

2011 Federal Disasters;

http://www.fema.gov/.../disasters.fema

This does not include events that may have caused widespread damage, but fell below Federal guidelines.

I count 37 Major Disaster Declarations, 7 Emergency Declarations and 51 Fire Management Assistance Declarations. I have no idea how many homes and business were lost in those events, but the numbers would surely be well into the thousands.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#80 OFFLINE   Lucavex

Lucavex

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 03:25 AM

Why is this still being discussed? Until there's a case out there of this actually happening, all I really see going on here is a contest about who can stand on the tallest stack of soap boxes. Can we let this die until someone actually musters up some proof of this?
The color differs from my own but.. Would you express them in your own hues, and paint.. for me?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...