Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

$99 (free) Sling adapter for local viewing

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dshinnick

dshinnick

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:08 PM

Just got the "free" (after rebate) sling adapter today. Hooked it up, 722k saw it fine.

I only want to connect to the sling LOCALLY, through my own local network, NOT through or using the internet in any way. I don't mind going through the net for setup purposes, but for watching, it needs to be local only.

It seemed like I was able to connect to it one time, using the Slingbox directory in my sling software, but it wanted a password which I didn't have.

Anybody know how to set this up to work the way I'd like? Do we even know for sure if it will?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:42 PM

It will connect locally, but it authenticates through DishOnLine.com, so you must have an active ethernet connection on your 722k.

The password is the one you use to log in to DishOnLine and probably Dish Remote Access.

You Only access the Sling Adapter through DishOnLine.com, Sling Box software will not connect to it.

I wish Dish DID use the Sling interface, with the Dish remote off to the side, much better than their DishOnLine interface, but it works.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#3 OFFLINE   dshinnick

dshinnick

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:24 PM

I used the slingmedia slingbox software and it sure *looks* like it connects. Pops up a password box, and seems like if I just knew the password it would work fine.

If not, back it goes. I pay by the gigabyte for internet access, and I'm not going to use their internet-dependent system for watching tv.

dave

#4 OFFLINE   dshinnick

dshinnick

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 02:50 PM

The sling software DOES see the slingbox. when I have the slingbox connected to my home network, the software sees it and prompts me for a password. When I remove the network cable from the slingbox, the software pops up and says it no longer sees a slingbox on the network. When I plug the cable back in, it connects and asks for a password. It IS seeing it! Just need to figure out what password will allow me to connect....

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,695 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 May 2011 - 03:10 PM

The thing is... I don't believe there is a password that will allow you to connect.

The software thinks it sees a Slingbox... but it will not actually connect. Dish intentionally made the software not support these things, just like the 922 receiver.

Actually, some have used older Sling Player software on their 922... from before Dish had it disabled... but it's entirely in (or not in as the case may be) the software to not support connection to their devices, as Dish wants to route you through their portal even if just to authenticate.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#6 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 06:31 PM

The thing is... I don't believe there is a password that will allow you to connect.

The software thinks it sees a Slingbox... but it will not actually connect. Dish intentionally made the software not support these things, just like the 922 receiver.

. . . Dish wants to route you through their portal even if just to authenticate.

That must be the holdup on the SlingCatcher. Dish hasn't figured out how to make it only work with Dish DVRs. :rolleyes:

Later, I tried the Slingbox software using watch.slingbox.com. I couldn't login to my Vip722k using either my Dish password or my old Dish Remote Access (http://dish3.sling.com/) password. I even tried the "Unlck Rst Passwd seq num" from Counters--both with and without the 0x. Note, it did show the correct "nickname" for the DVR.

Edited by bnborg, 29 May 2011 - 12:00 AM.

Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#7 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 05:39 AM

I used the slingmedia slingbox software and it sure *looks* like it connects. Pops up a password box, and seems like if I just knew the password it would work fine.

If not, back it goes. I pay by the gigabyte for internet access, and I'm not going to use their internet-dependent system for watching tv.

dave

Back what goes? Your free equipment? Cost to return it?

Edited by tampa8, 29 May 2011 - 11:03 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:11 AM

There's a return label in the box.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#9 OFFLINE   apinkel

apinkel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:18 AM

dave

Using the dish brower based viewers, the video is streamed over you local network, not over your internet connection. The authentication and control commands are sent over the internet connection, but those are very very small bits of data. The hit to your internet usage would be very minimal.

#10 OFFLINE   dshinnick

dshinnick

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:24 PM

I was at a swap meet recently and found a brand new, never opened Slingbox Solo for $35. I was going to put it on eBay and use this "free" $99 unit, but I'll just keep the Solo. In fact, it's now installed and working beautifully. As far as returning the "free" one, I don't want to mess with activating it and then requesting the card, and on and on. A couple of bucks to return it is worth the hassle.

#11 OFFLINE   saberfly

saberfly

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:16 PM

Ya my slingbox solo works better too. I am getting ready to return my sling adapter too.

#12 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:43 PM

What do you not understand about having to use DishOnLine.com to connect to the Sling Adapter?

If you're willing to try the SlingBox software, why are you recalcitrant about using the DishOnLine.com method?

It works in your browser - no software install needed.

Even your SlingBox has to authenticate through the Sling website, almost the same thing.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma

#13 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:23 PM

. . .
It works in your browser - no software install needed.
. . . .

Not precisely. You have to install an ActiveX control for your browser. :rolleyes:
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#14 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:00 AM

Even your SlingBox has to authenticate through the Sling website, almost the same thing.

For what he wants to do - connect only to his home receivers - the actual slingbox (not adaptor) doesn't have to go through the internet to work. In either the older software or new software if there is no internet connection it will still show you anything in your house. For anyone that does not know, the picture when doing that is extremely good. You can watch an upstairs TV downstairs even connecting your computer to the TV, and get a very good picture.

Not precisely. You have to install an ActiveX control for your browser. :rolleyes:

Very true, and keeps me from checking my house (cameras) when I am at work. (I do use the cell phone to do it)

Edited by tampa8, 30 May 2011 - 05:05 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:54 AM

Hmm... I stiill have to login to the sling page before I can see my SlingBox even within the home network.

I bought my SlingBox AV off eBay and have no instructions, it just works.

Edited by Jim5506, 30 May 2011 - 11:59 AM.

#16 OFFLINE   apinkel

apinkel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:18 PM

I was at a swap meet recently and found a brand new, never opened Slingbox Solo for $35. I was going to put it on eBay and use this "free" $99 unit, but I'll just keep the Solo. In fact, it's now installed and working beautifully. As far as returning the "free" one, I don't want to mess with activating it and then requesting the card, and on and on. A couple of bucks to return it is worth the hassle.

Yeah, there's a few people who end up going that route.

I haven't used it but I understand that the slingbox software is better than the browser based offering that dish currently has (buffering and more responsive UI interations seem to be recurring themes).

Couple things to keep in mind...
The sling adapter does allow you to view two programs from one dvr at the same time, something that is not possible if you use a slingbox device.

The sling adapter supports HD streaming (provided your network supports it) the solo doesn't (slingbox pro HD does however).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...