Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Ka Band for SD Locals?!?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rmhopper

rmhopper

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 06:16 PM

Is anyone else frustrated by DirecTv's decision to put local SD broadcasts on the Ka band? My SD locals (Boise) have been on the 72.5 bird, which is painful enough when using a portable dish (from my RV or tailgating), but which was made not-so-painful by my VuQube's ability to store two satellite locations and switch between them. Now that I am required to pick up my SD locals on the Ka-band satellites, I have just two mobile dishes to choose from, both of which must be RV-mounted and can't be re-positioned.

Sounds like I am going to have to switch providers (but soon Dish will have p*ssed off every local broadcaster, and they may not have any local providers at all!) to keep a compact and reasonably priced setup.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 06:21 PM

Is anyone else frustrated by DirecTv's decision to put local SD broadcasts on the Ka band? My SD locals (Boise) have been on the 72.5 bird, which is painful enough when using a portable dish (from my RV or tailgating), but which was made not-so-painful by my VuQube's ability to store two satellite locations and switch between them. Now that I am required to pick up my SD locals on the Ka-band satellites, I have just two mobile dishes to choose from, both of which must be RV-mounted and can't be re-positioned.

Sounds like I am going to have to switch providers (but soon Dish will have p*ssed off every local broadcaster, and they may not have any local providers at all!) to keep a compact and reasonably priced setup.

You're late to the game. Most of D*s other 72.5 LiL markets are switched over to MPEG4.
It was a decision that was made a LONG time ago.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#3 OFFLINE   rmhopper

rmhopper

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 06:30 PM

Yes, I know that most of the other locals on 72.5 have already moved, and Boise was very late to the game. I guess what I don't understand is the lack of any Ka-Band solutions in the marketplace. I know that most of the 72.5 locals were small market to begin with, but one would think there is some significant pent-up demand. After all, the current mobile dish manufacturers have been promising Ka band support for several years now, but I can find only 2 products that exist. Guess I am going to have head for the garage and come up with something... ;-)

#4 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 06:33 PM

Yes, I know that most of the other locals on 72.5 have already moved, and Boise was very late to the game. I guess what I don't understand is the lack of any Ka-Band solutions in the marketplace. I know that most of the 72.5 locals were small market to begin with, but one would think there is some significant pent-up demand. After all, the current mobile dish manufacturers have been promising Ka band support for several years now, but I can find only 2 products that exist. Guess I am going to have head for the garage and come up with something... ;-)

Mobile ODUs do not fall under your average Directv system. And IIRC not designed by D*. Therefore, not their problem.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#5 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:18 PM

You can try OTA for your locals...
my setup here

#6 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:59 PM

Not that it matters, but I'm glad that DirecTV never got around to offering our SD locals. They went right with HD.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#7 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:26 AM

Actually you no longer have SD locals. You only have HD locals and have to have HD equipment to see them.

Lot of people use a Slimline dish on a tripod with their RVs or when tailgating.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#8 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,031 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:50 PM

Um.. If you never leave your RV spot, then you can pole mount one. If you do, and therefore need a dish that will self align every time you camp for the night, then that does exsit...

http://www.sadoun.co...-TV-ANTENNA.htm

#9 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,857 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:12 PM

Putting a slimline on a tripod is the most economical solution. After practicing a bit with it, you should be able to align it reasonably well and rapidly upon arriving at a new location.

Another option to consider is a dedicated RV account where you can get DNS. SD DNS is on the 101 bird, so you would only need a single 18" dish for that.

spam firewall