Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The HDMI Cable You Use

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

Poll: Tell us about the HDMI cable you use with your DTV HD-DVR Receiver (454 member(s) have cast votes)

Tell us about the HDMI cable you use with your DTV HD-DVR Receiver

1. I use a low cost HDMI cable (237 votes [52.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.20%

2. I use a moderate cost HDMI cable (32 votes [7.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.05%

3. I use an expensive HDMI cable (7 votes [1.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.54%

4. My HDMI cable provides high quality output as compared to others I have used or seen. (91 votes [20.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.04%

5. My HDMI cable provides good/adequate output as compared to others I have used or seen. (22 votes [4.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.85%

6. My HDMI cable provides so so output as compared to others I have used or seen. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. What brand HDMI cable do you use? (answer in comments) (32 votes [7.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.05%

8. Do you recommend the HDMI cable you use or some other brand? (answer in comments) (33 votes [7.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,265 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:01 AM

Yup, as others have said, Monoprice sells some great, low cost cables. I've been using them recently and they all work great.

To spend more on an HDMI cable would be throwing money away.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:16 AM

I've been fighting digital-is-digital battles for years, and sonically, I've always won the argument that that may not be true.

I'm not suggesting to spend a lot of money here, but I've also heard the difference between optical and coaxial digital connections of a CD player to an amplifier, with the only change being the cable, so I'd be careful here.

There is no real-time, input-output, bit-for-bit analysis going on anywhere in our systems. We are always assuming the transfer is perfect, and that error correction will take care of the problem when it isn't. What if that's not the case?

You aren't listening to or watching the bits. You are listening to and watching algorithms that transfer those bits back to analog. Instead of all things being equal, things may not be equal.

Audio and video are different. For video, digital is definitely better, has to be. What you see when using an HDMI cable is exactly what is supposed to be seen. There can be no variation.

#23 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:19 AM

I've learned so much from all of you. I began using expensive Monster cables before the days of HDMI so I assumed there was varying levels of quality hence higher priced HDMI's meant better performance. Even thought I've always been more than happy with Monster it is gradifing to learn about lower price as good HDMI's.

This is one great forum!

#24 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,473 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:20 AM

As others have stated, HDMI is either on or off. No diff. in quality that one can see or measure. For an extra long run, perhaps one would need better and more copper.

I get mine through Amazon, as low as 10 cents one time.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#25 OFFLINE   ilikehd2011

ilikehd2011

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:29 AM

could you please post the link to those cables. i looked on slickdeals but didn't see it. thanks

#26 OFFLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Registered
  • 660 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:34 AM

Speaking of expensive cables I need a DVI cable for my new computer monitor. Officemax had just one in stock. It was a 10 footer for $79.00. I laugh at them went to fry's and found one for under $10.00.

HR20-100 s/w version 0x087f
au9 dish NO multiswitch or diplexers.
Internet connection via WIFI.

#27 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:40 AM

Under 25' pretty much any brand will do and you really can't beat Monoprice.

The only exception for me was a 35' run in the walls/ceiling where I went with one from Blue Jeans Cable.
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#28 OFFLINE   SuperZ06

SuperZ06

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:47 AM

Stick with Monoprice. Great cables at great prices.

+1
Panasonic TH-50PX600U - HR21-100 1.5 GB HD Networked - R15-500 - D11-100

Resistance is not futile.
We refuse to be assimilated.
-RJP

#29 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:54 AM

Audio and video are different. For video, digital is definitely better, has to be. What you see when using an HDMI cable is exactly what is supposed to be seen. There can be no variation.

You're still assuming the transfer is 100% perfect. Prove to me that is happening. There is no bit-for-bit check in the chain.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#30 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:00 AM

You're still assuming the transfer is 100% perfect. Prove to me that is happening. There is no bit-for-bit check in the chain.

With HDMI, if the signal doesn't get to the other end perfectly, the pixel is blank. If the pixel is on, it is perfect.

HDMI uses TMDS error checking.

#31 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:04 AM

Here's a recent article from pcmag where they tested various hdmi cables.

http://www.pcmag.com...,2385272,00.asp

Nice article...hopefully it will put an end to the "Monster hdmi cables are better" debate!

:)

#32 OFFLINE   Wisegoat

Wisegoat

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:08 AM

$4.99 for the 10 footer from Fry's. Have them on all my TV's for DVR, Blu-Ray and PC and all work perfectly. No glitches, errors, color shift, etc. Have used them for plenty of installs. Wouldn't pay anything more.

#33 OFFLINE   Surveyor40

Surveyor40

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 437 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:37 AM

I am using a myriad of HDMI cable brands, including Monoprice, Vantec, and Monster Cable. When considering purchasing any HDMI cable, the quality of the end connector should be one of your primary considerations. I have purchase a few cables where the end fittings were so huge & heavy, they partially covered up the next HDMI input and tended to pull out. On a few of the inexpensive HDMI cables, the connectors molded end cracked shorting the cable just after a year. With cables you get what you pay for. However, that doesn't mean Monster Cable or any other high performance cable is necessary to connect your Directv dvr to your TV. Unless you own a premium high quality/performance TV, a good gold plated moderately priced HDMI cable should suit you just fine. All the sites suggested thus far have good options to choose from.
My Setup
14 year D* customer, LONG LIVE D*'s HDPC

#34 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:50 AM

Pretty much all my HDMI cables are either the ones that came with my STB's, or monoprice.com.

I have never (And will never) puchase one from BestBuy or other retailers.
If I must have one now, in an emergency... maybe, but it would be returned as soon as I get a properly priced one from an online retailer.

(I don't normally like doing that, but when they are charing 1000% more then the next guy... )

I haven't had a single problem... My longest cable is 16ft.
Even at longer distances I would probably still go with Monoprice.

I have purchased well over 100 of their network cables, about 2 dozen HDMI cables, and all sorts of other monoprice devices (USB->CAT6 extenders)... and I think I have had had 1 1.5ft network cable go bad.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#35 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,415 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:56 AM

Pretty much all my HDMI cables are either the ones that came with my STB's, or monoprice.com.

Ditto. I recommend Monoprice products to friends and family.
/steve

#36 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:58 AM

Under 25' pretty much any brand will do and you really can't beat Monoprice.

The only exception for me was a 35' run in the walls/ceiling where I went with one from Blue Jeans Cable.

I used a Monoprice 35' for in-wall and have no problems.
Actually the run is much longer as I have my sources running into a switch (Monoprice), the switch running to my avr, my avr running to a wall plate (Monoprice), the interior cable running to another wall plate, and then from the wall plate to my tv. All cables are Monoprice and the picture is perfect.
When we built our house, I did all the wiring myself and got almost everything from Monoprice. If I had gotten Monster, I would have needed a second mortgage, lol.
Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

#37 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:18 PM

Going to sound like a broken record here, but monoprice.com.

Been using a 40' HDMI cable since I got my HR20-100, and no problems of note. I have it paired with a monoproce HDMI switch for going between my HR and blu-ray player.

#38 OFFLINE   Chrismon1001

Chrismon1001

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:36 PM

I use the Amazon Basics there cheap enough and always up to the latest specs, there not to thin and not too thick. I know there are cheaper cables, but once you put shipping usually comes out around the same price as the amazon cables with a prime account.
FR - Mitsubishi 75" Den - Mitsubishi 65" BR 1 - Mitsubishi 55" BR 2 - Mitsubishi 46"
4 x HR24 - CINEMA Connection Kit – NFL Remote - Protection Plan
Premier Package - HD Extra Pack - Fox Soccer Plus - GSN Game Lounge
Blizzcon - NFL Sunday Ticket - NFL Sunday Ticket To-Go - MLS Direct Kick
1/2 Seasons: MLB Extra Innings - NBA League Pass
ESPN: GamePlan, FullCourt Via ESPN3 - Windstream: Basic Cable - 24 Mbps DSL - Phone
Netflix - Hulu Plus - Crunchyroll - Amazon Prime - NHL GameCenter Live
Music Unlimited/Spotify - Pandora One - SiriusXM Online

#39 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:42 PM

Talk about over whelmed..........:eek2:

#40 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,016 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:50 PM

Monoprice here, no expensive HDMI cables in the house.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

spam firewall