Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The HDMI Cable You Use

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

Poll: Tell us about the HDMI cable you use with your DTV HD-DVR Receiver (454 member(s) have cast votes)

Tell us about the HDMI cable you use with your DTV HD-DVR Receiver

1. I use a low cost HDMI cable (237 votes [52.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.20%

2. I use a moderate cost HDMI cable (32 votes [7.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.05%

3. I use an expensive HDMI cable (7 votes [1.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.54%

4. My HDMI cable provides high quality output as compared to others I have used or seen. (91 votes [20.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.04%

5. My HDMI cable provides good/adequate output as compared to others I have used or seen. (22 votes [4.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.85%

6. My HDMI cable provides so so output as compared to others I have used or seen. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. What brand HDMI cable do you use? (answer in comments) (32 votes [7.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.05%

8. Do you recommend the HDMI cable you use or some other brand? (answer in comments) (33 votes [7.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,944 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:03 PM

I got 10 6' HDMI cables from Amazon for $32.40 (that's right, $3.24 per cable) delivered and I currently have six of them in use. The other two I use came with DirecTV receivers.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   prozone1

prozone1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:06 PM

Monoprice

#43 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:14 PM

Only one HDMI port on my TV set and it is hooked up to the Media player, Other HD inputs are Component.

That reminds me I tried a 4 port HDMI switcher from Monoprice and when I added a BluRay player, neither sound or picture. Something is getting through since I do not get the no HDMI detected message however. I need to get in-touch with them.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#44 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:14 PM

http://www.amazon.co...=dp_ob_title_ce

$9.99 and they work great. If you order $25 worth of stuff from Amazon, shipping is free and there is no tax. You can't go wrong.

:D

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#45 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:20 PM

could you please post the link to those cables. i looked on slickdeals but didn't see it. thanks

Slickdeals has it greyed out.

This is the link to the product page but the $3.99 coupon (MLCK5D3W1JNL1) on the two-pack has expired...it's now the full $5.99. Free shipping, though.

http://www.meritline...px?source=s2010
When news breaks...we fix it.

#46 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:27 PM

One other difference in HDMI cables. The mechanical strength can different. I recently moved my media player and the HDMI plug on the end of the cable came off.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#47 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,006 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:33 PM

One other difference in HDMI cables. The mechanical strength can different. I recently moved my media player and the HDMI plug on the end of the cable came off.

The cable snapped at the junction with the plug? Or it fell out of the port? Quite a difference! A plug fitting tight in a port doesn't necessarily mean it's robust.... just that it fits tight; same with reverse.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#48 ONLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,388 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:46 PM

Monoprice. Inexpensive is the way to go. Stay FAR away from Monster.

I use Monoprice also

JACK,

#49 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,794 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:50 PM

What brand was it?

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#50 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,064 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:38 PM

When I got my first HD receiver (H20) from Best Buy, they tried to sell me a >$100 Monster HDMI cable. There were no other nearby sources so I got their cheapest (~$60 AR). One of my DVRs came with a HDMI cable and the others I have all came from Monoprice.

#51 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:45 PM

As far as shortish distances are concerned, ones and zeros are ones and zeros. I use the cheap ones. Very cheap :D
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#52 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,491 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:03 PM

If I happen to need one soon, I order from Monoprice.

However, there's always deals around from various sites (i.e. 6 for $10), so I usually have some on hand.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#53 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:36 PM

Stay away from the "better" cables. Unlike analog signals, which can be affected by the cable material's conductivity, HDMI cables transmit a binary signal. That means it's either on or it's not.

That is very true. It also means that the picture quality will be identical. If you can get the cheap cable to work, it does exactly the same job as the expensive cable.

Since the signal path is digital usually from the production house all the way past the HDMI receiver chip in your display, nothing bad (or good) can happen to the PQ (assuming no reception issues) at any point within that delivery system, which includes the HDMI cable at the customer end. That means we all get the exact same PQ all the way inside our displays. PQ can't change without a mathematical operation being performed on the binary coefficients that represent the video, which would be something that can't happen due to a hostile environment, only on purpose by equipment designed to do that (which virtually does not exist in the consumer delivery chain).

That means that there are only three places where PQ can be altered; the production arena itself, the secondary compression from the vendor, and the analog or light-engine part of the consumer's display.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#54 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,157 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:31 PM

Went to Monoprice but didn't get the very cheapest ones. Since I needed 10' and 12' I spent an extra buck or two on the next larger wire (AWG) size. With twists and turns inside the cabinetry wanted to minimize the possiblity of any deterioration of the internal wires.

#55 OFFLINE   jes

jes

Icon

• Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:35 PM

Monoprice. Inexpensive is the way to go. Stay FAR away from Monster.

add one more vote... It's wire! The signal is digital! ... no black magic there... :P As long as the connectors are decent, and Monoprices are, the cable is decent. Monoprice HDMI page

For long custom runs, I've used AVCable. Good quality, materials & assembly. The price is more than Monoprice, but way less than Monster. ;)
DirecTV since March 1998, HD since Oct. 2003

#56 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:13 AM

but doesn't Monster use argon-coated stannus wire that provides superior performance in the digital space? Tell me it isn't so! :)

#57 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 649 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:26 AM

Since I most probably will be buying one or more new HDMI cables thought it might be a good idea to poll you folks regarding the price range category, supposed quality and brand.

Please participate in this poll and followup comment segment.

Thanks!

I used the cables that came in the box. They work great.

#58 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:05 AM

but doesn't Monster use argon-coated stannus wire that provides superior performance in the digital space? Tell me it isn't so! :)

From Wikipedia:

"Argon is used to displace oxygen- and moisture-containing air in packaging material to extend the shelf-lives of the contents. Aerial oxidation, hydrolysis, and other chemical reactions which degrade the products are retarded or prevented entirely. Bottles of high-purity chemicals and certain pharmaceutical products are available in sealed bottles or ampoules packed in argon. In wine making, argon is used to top-off barrels to avoid the aerial oxidation of ethanol to acetic acid during the aging process."

So, if your equipment is in a very humid environment, or under water, it might make sense to pay the extra $100 per foot.

Not.

Posted Image

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#59 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:41 AM

For my DirecTV NON DVR HD box...I use the HDMI cable that came in the box..and have not used anything other than that. So I do not know what brand it is no markings on it. It is a 6 foot cable

My Xbox 360 I use the Microsoft HDMI cable
http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B000UODATY

My PS3 I use a Radio Shack 10Foot HDMI
http://www.radioshac...ELAID=747645294

Other Room
My Sony Blu Ray player BDP-S580 I use same Radio Shack house brand 10 footer.

My Time Warner Cable Box (yes I have both D* and TWC) the hdmi provided by TWC is a brand called ppc --> again an HDMI i didnt buy one for it.
http://www.manifest-...-HDMI-Cable.jpg
Their HD NON DVR box in NYC is made by Samsung..pic below
http://www.blogcdn.c...msung-tuner.jpg

Ive heard all the ramblings on how Best Buy whores you to try and get their HDMI cables (monster in specific) in anything you buy, in one case they scolded me for not buying one I responded to him how Im like I'm ahead of the game so settle down there jr....

I remember once going into the store to buy a RGB cable for my mom...(she is still on a glass TV tube) since her tv actually has red/green/blu connectors and picture looks better than putting the TV to ch3. and the BBuy rep said we dont carry those they're obsolete and tried to get me to $$$get an HD screen..I'm like hmm whats that over there...found red/green/blue connectors along with older school yellow red & white...Bought that too cause I needed audio cables to go with my RGB...the sales guy looked at me like I shouldnt be buying those things im like what planet are you on..I said you should be trying to make money off me any way you can, dont deter me from buying something clearly within eyeball range...you can suggest a new product but dont outright lie when i see it hanging on the rack RIGHT there..

same thing happend once I went looking for a PC fan a 10 dollar item and rep tried to push me a whole new PC.. idiot!

I find I have absolutely no issue with picture quality on my 2 HD sets (both are Samsung 32 Inch and a 46 inch LCD non LED and non 3D) I am happy with all my cables...so Ive never gone shopping cause i believed one brand of HDMI was better than the other..

Edited by Santi360HD, 01 June 2011 - 08:55 AM.

#60 OFFLINE   dpfaunts

dpfaunts

Godfather

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:54 AM

Monoprice or Amazon HDMI cables work great.
Darryle

HR24-100 HDMI Samsung 85687W
HR22-100 Component Samsung HLN4365W
HR21-700 HDMI Vizio SV370XVT
HR20-100 SVID Panasonic CRT
SLIMLINE (SL3) SWM
DirecTV 8/98

Protected By... spam firewall...And...