Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The HDMI Cable You Use

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

Poll: Tell us about the HDMI cable you use with your DTV HD-DVR Receiver (454 member(s) have cast votes)

Tell us about the HDMI cable you use with your DTV HD-DVR Receiver

1. I use a low cost HDMI cable (237 votes [52.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.20%

2. I use a moderate cost HDMI cable (32 votes [7.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.05%

3. I use an expensive HDMI cable (7 votes [1.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.54%

4. My HDMI cable provides high quality output as compared to others I have used or seen. (91 votes [20.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.04%

5. My HDMI cable provides good/adequate output as compared to others I have used or seen. (22 votes [4.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.85%

6. My HDMI cable provides so so output as compared to others I have used or seen. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. What brand HDMI cable do you use? (answer in comments) (32 votes [7.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.05%

8. Do you recommend the HDMI cable you use or some other brand? (answer in comments) (33 votes [7.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 OFFLINE   Game Fan

Game Fan

Baseball Is Life

• DBSTalk Club
  • 739 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:29 PM

I've only bought HDMI cables from Monoprice. Never had an issue, either. They make good quality stuff and sell it for reasonable prices.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   m4p

m4p

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:40 PM

Mine are from Monoprice as well. Never had any issues. I just can't see paying a lot of money for something that has a name brand that is basically the same cable.

HR24-500 HDMI to Sharp LC-52D62U LCD, native on
Networked using Netgear R6300
Harmony 670 remote

#103 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:58 PM

It's practically impossible for there to be single-pixel errors in an HDMI signal. If the signal gets screwed up at all, it simply won't display.

Not true.

Google "HDMI sparkles".

Edited by hilmar2k, 05 June 2011 - 08:04 PM.

#104 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:11 PM

Not true.

Google "HDMI sparkles".

I was (and I thought you were) referring to a single pixel getting "stuck" as white. I'm aware of sparkles, but they occur on many different pixels.

#105 OFFLINE   mashandhogan

mashandhogan

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:17 PM

Cheap... 1st thing on "cheap search" on fleabay. All HDMI cables are the same
R22-200 (HD)
(3) HR24-500

R22's are NOT Worthless:)
Yes, I know I can't spell:grin:

#106 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,966 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 05 June 2011 - 11:51 PM

Cheap... 1st thing on "cheap search" on fleabay. All HDMI cables are the same

Well, no, they aren't! Some are of better quality, last longer, etc.

That said, over 90% of us use cheap ones. I have several spares in case the shoddier ones break or get damaged. One of them cost ten cents when included in one of my Amazon orders. No Monster has ever graced my dwelling, though I have a couple that are "gold plated".....:rolleyes:
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#107 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,148 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:49 AM

Well, no, they aren't! Some are of better quality, last longer, etc.

That said, over 90% of us use cheap ones. I have several spares in case the shoddier ones break or get damaged. One of them cost ten cents when included in one of my Amazon orders. No Monster has ever graced my dwelling, though I have a couple that are "gold plated".....:rolleyes:

Wonder what gold plating does? Gold isn't the best conductor.

Rich

#108 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:52 AM

I was (and I thought you were) referring to a single pixel getting "stuck" as white. I'm aware of sparkles, but they occur on many different pixels.

I was replyinjg to this:

It's practically impossible for there to be single-pixel errors in an HDMI signal. If the signal gets screwed up at all, it simply won't display.

My point was that it isn't "all or nothing", it is quite possible for some quantity (other than "all") of the pixels to have an issue, and that if a pixel isn't perfect, it is not there.

#109 ONLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,786 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:54 AM

Wonder what gold plating does? Gold isn't the best conductor.

Rich

Actually, gold is one of the best conductors there is at room temperature.

Its value, however, lies in its ability to resist corrosion. You will find gold plating on circuit board edge connectors and on the pins and sockets of IC's that plug in as well as on cables used in A/V setups. The gold plating, which is only a few atoms thick, makes for pretty much worry free connections.

In general, many "standard" applications will work just fine without the need for more expensive gold-plated cable, however.

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#110 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,148 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:13 PM

Actually, gold is one of the best conductors there is at room temperature.

Silver is a much better conductor and so is copper. I just broke out my Electrician's Handbook and verified that. There's another table hidden in the Handbook that rates a lot of materials for conductivity, but I can't find it. The table I'm looking at rates gold as the fifth best conductor behind silver and four types of copper. The difference is in the percentage of conductivity where silver is rated at 108% and gold is rated at 72%.

Its value, however, lies in its ability to resist corrosion. You will find gold plating on circuit board edge connectors and on the pins and sockets of IC's that plug in as well as on cables used in A/V setups. The gold plating, which is only a few atoms thick, makes for pretty much worry free connections.

That, I'll buy.

In general, many "standard" applications will work just fine without the need for more expensive gold-plated cable, however.

Again, I'll agree.

#111 ONLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,786 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:22 PM

I think we agree, Rich. I said gold "is one of the best". The anti-corrosive properties would be the more valuable quality, especially in humid conditions for long term installations.

:D

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#112 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,966 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:57 PM

I think we agree, Rich. I said gold "is one of the best". The anti-corrosive properties would be the more valuable quality, especially in humid conditions for long term installations.

Oh, no!!! The value is being able to mention to friends and lovers that you're a gold plated kind of guy.....:lol: And I agree on the corrosion resistance, fwiw. The cables that contain gold were still under $10.00
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#113 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,326 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 June 2011 - 05:22 PM

I haven't looked closely enough at my own equipment, but do most have gold connectors? If both parts of the connection are gold, that would be a benefit. If the metal is mismatched, that wouldn't be good.

#114 OFFLINE   jes

jes

Icon

• Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 05:32 PM

If I have one problem with Monoprice it's that their cables are sometimes too thick and heavy for certain applications and not flexible enough. It's because they are so well built.

I ordered a few of the thicker 24 ga jacketed HDMI cables from Monoprice and like you found them pretty inflexible. If you add an 8inch 28AWG Port Saver you don't need as much clearance to the rear and you can plug them in before you set the equipment on the shelf. HDMI jacks are pretty intolerant of misalignment so it really helps if you can hold both connectors instead of trying to plug in an HDMI cable blindly into the back of your equipment... $1.70 is cheap insurance compared to replacing a broken HDMI jack... :eek2:
DirecTV since March 1998, HD since Oct. 2003

#115 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,890 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 06 June 2011 - 05:48 PM

Monoprice. I have at least 10 of them here, the longest of which is 30', and cost me all of 13 bucks. Works perfectly.

As far as the cables at Wally World go, while they are much less expensive than other retail outlets, they are inferior as far as I'm concerned. Any HDMI cable without RF chokes on each end is not acceptable here, and virtually all of the cables from Monoprice have said RF chokes.

My home theater lives in a high RF environment, and also has very low noise figure radio receivers. I can't afford "bleats" and "burbles" killing the weak signals I'm looking for. (some of which are 20 dB below ambient noise conditions. Digital devices tend to be quite noisy (RF-wise). The RF chokes on the end of each cable kills the ability of the hdmi cable to act like an antenna for either receiving or transmittting.

I'm able to put the devices in the presence of a transmitter running 1000 watts output at a distance of only 30' from the transmitting antenna and have no transmitted induced interference. Similarly, I don't get any birdies from the home theater. I do get some from the associated computers in the house, which is a tougher problem (lots more chokes required) to solve.

Monoprice is a high quality cable for a very low price and there service is terrific.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#116 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:23 AM

I haven't looked closely enough at my own equipment, but do most have gold connectors? If both parts of the connection are gold, that would be a benefit. If the metal is mismatched, that wouldn't be good.

Not all cables but all plug in circuit boards do. Gold over copper is the best combination of conductivity and shelf life. Once the boards are installed they'll last indefinitely but sitting in the open air for years can cause intermetallics where the coating and the copper will start to leach into each other. That's why we store them in plastic bags with a dessicant. Other coatings would work but wouldn't last as long as gold.

#117 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,326 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:27 AM

Thanks. I was thinking back in the "old" computer days when we used SIMMs, and you had to make sure to get the right module, either with tin or gold contacts to match the motherboard.

#118 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:36 AM

Thanks. I was thinking back in the "old" computer days when we used SIMMs, and you had to make sure to get the right module, either with tin or gold contacts to match the motherboard.

That's right, back in the good old days.

#119 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:15 AM

That's right, back in the good old days.

You mean back when my IBM PC sported 64K RAM? ;)
When news breaks...we fix it.

#120 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:28 PM

First computer was an Atari 400 with 8k.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...