Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV iPad App (V1.1.5/1.1.7) - Issues/Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
142 replies to this topic

#126 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:21 AM

Just updated the app to 1.1.8. No problems with the update itself.

The following bugs/issues have still not been corrected:

Does not take advantage of iOS multitasking (starts from scratch whenever you leave the app and then return).
No way to dismiss the detail dialog in guide list view mode.
No consolidated playlist.
No real MRV capability except by using remote control mode.
Data listed in the sports tab for many sports (golf and NASCAR in particular but I have honestly not checked them all) is incorrect/incomplete. Upcoming and completed in particular seem to have issues.
In the movies tab, Browse Movies/What's on Now does not list all the movies currently playing "now".
Search results are inconsistent at best and just wrong many times.

Some of these problems are clearly issues with the back end data feeds and not the app itself but it still causes the app to be less than functional.
Mark

HR34-700, Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 UB Projector
HR21-200, Samsung UN-60ES8000
C31, Samsung PN-42A450
H25-700, Samsung LN-S3296D

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#127 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:41 PM

Yes, more and more everyday. But the VAST majority of the install base out there is IR only. Would it be a great option for some, sure. But at this point they have real bugs and functionality issues that they need to focus on before they add options that only a very small minority of users can take advantage of. Just MHO.

Exactly, a very small minority of devices have the feature. On top of that DirecTV would have to get the device manufacturer's cooperation to get it to work and some of them may not want to cooperate. That's why it's probably not worth the trouble at this time. Especially when they are busy getting current features fixed or upgraded. I imagine full Whole Home DVR functionality and possibly a coprehensive DVR scheduler and to-do list would be a much higher priority than getting a few TV's power and volume buttons working.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#128 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:36 PM

Exactly, a very small minority of devices have the feature. On top of that DirecTV would have to get the device manufacturer's cooperation to get it to work and some of them may not want to cooperate. That's why it's probably not worth the trouble at this time.

Its that cooperation issue that I'm just curious about, how that works. Is it a function of licensing? I mean DirecTV lets us program our remotes for other model TVs and AVRs. As much as I want volume control, in DirecTVs defense, my Pioneer App won't change my channels, and my Samsung SmartTV app won't control my Pioneer AVR. Bottom line, these apps aren't really solutions for me.... yet. First manufacturer to consider these issues will have a winning app!

#129 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:30 PM

I wouldn't count on it happening.

I mean even DirecTV is locking down their own IP control so only their apps can use certian functions. I'm willing to guess that all fo the manufacturers are going to try to do something similar.

So SONY locks down their IP controls so only Sony apps can use them, or they might say hey DirecTV we will sell you the rights to be able to use our IP controls for $1 million. Samsung sees that happen and follows suit, etc. etc.

Or maybe they don't let DirecTV use them at all but sell them to people like Harmony, URC or Crestron.

Personally, itzme, I think you should just look at getting a nice universal remote. The Harmony 650 is a heck of a remote for the price in my opinion.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#130 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:44 PM

I didn't even know that the IP controls were a licensed commodity. That's why I was asking. I get it now. Interesting that a $10 universal remote can control most all devices, but as we move into IP control, there's this whole new "mess"... Well a mess to the consumer but an 'opportunity' to manufacturers.

#131 OFFLINE   Karen

Karen

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 319 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:10 PM

Hmmm, this looks like an interesting option! <g>

http://www.amazon.co...ref=pd_cp_cps_4

#132 OFFLINE   poppo

poppo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:59 AM

Don't have MRV and having it or not does not make a fancy remote anymore meaningful. Seriously, this APP is totally pointless. You can only use most of the functions while sitting in front of the TV on your same network. What is the point?

While I do want streaming, I will disagree that the app us useless. I and my wife will use the app to look at the show info, upcoming, cast info, guide, and all that stuff. Sure you can do some of that on the TV, but only by sticking the show you are watching in 'PIP mode'. And then you feel rushed to get back to full size viewing instead of being able to browse the iPad at your leisure.

#133 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,748 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:04 AM

I didn't even know that the IP controls were a licensed commodity. That's why I was asking. I get it now. Interesting that a $10 universal remote can control most all devices, but as we move into IP control, there's this whole new "mess"... Well a mess to the consumer but an 'opportunity' to manufacturers.

Never really thought about it that way, but what you say makes sense to me!
/steve

#134 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:12 PM

I don't know that they necessarily are yet, but it wouldn't suprise me if they end up that way.

Like I said before though, I don't really like touchscreen remotes. They look cool and can offer some nice features, but I much prefer the ability to pick up a remote in the dark and use it without looking at it. You can't do that with a touchscreen remote.
-by Jack Handy

#135 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:47 PM

What I find interesting is that most other tech sites feel the same as me about this APP. For some reason this is pretty much the only site were people treat this APP as the God of all APPs. I am sure I am not the only one on this site honest enough and blunt enough to call it what it is, useless.

Of course that does not mean others cannot disagree and I fully respect the fact that many do find this APP to be descent. I am simply curious as to why there are not others on this site that also agree with me.

Edited by DodgerKing, 27 August 2011 - 07:28 PM.

#136 OFFLINE   Karen

Karen

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 319 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:54 PM

I wouldn't call it useless. It isn't what it probably should or could be, but it isn't useless...

#137 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 27 August 2011 - 11:20 PM

Version 1.1.8
iPad2 running latest iOS 4.3 version

Issue: Categories in the sports tab don't remember their order.

Description: Sometimes (it seems after a long "soak"), the sports tab doesn't remember the order if the sports list. For whatever reason, soccer ends up 1st on the list. When I realize the change, I put it back but in a day or so it goes back to the default? order.

I tried deleting and re-installing the app and it happened again.

I'd really prefer NOT to have soccer 1st on my sports list...

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#138 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,611 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:08 AM

After using this app a bit more, there are a couple things I think ought to be there :

1. The oft mentioned combined playlist. It would just be handy.

2. A way to see the 'to do list' - I know that for me, it is not rare at all that if I'm setting up recordings I need to get to the to do list to change priorities around. Or at least see what I have scheduled so that I can adjust things.

3. And further down the list is a way to stream video similar to what Dish is doing with their iPad app. That was fairly handy.

My home setup is 2 HR24s at the main TV and one remote in my son's room. I control the 2 in the main room totally. So for me, the goal with the iPad app is to never have to directly view the secondary HR24 in the main room and just set up recordings and such using the iPad app. That really isn't quite doable right now.

Lloyd
Receiver/Provider: Tivo Roamio Plus/Mediacom
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#139 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:28 AM

I wouldn't count on it happening.

I mean even DirecTV is locking down their own IP control so only their apps can use certian functions. I'm willing to guess that all fo the manufacturers are going to try to do something similar.

So SONY locks down their IP controls so only Sony apps can use them, or they might say hey DirecTV we will sell you the rights to be able to use our IP controls for $1 million. Samsung sees that happen and follows suit, etc. etc.

Or maybe they don't let DirecTV use them at all but sell them to people like Harmony, URC or Crestron.

Personally, itzme, I think you should just look at getting a nice universal remote. The Harmony 650 is a heck of a remote for the price in my opinion.

I think your scenarios sound right. As for you advice, I love my two $20 UR7 Gamer remotes- they're perfectly tweaked for about 5 devices and TWO users. My livingroom requires 2 remotes.

As for my complaint about the App being able to do most everything but control Volume, to me its like buying a really cool keyboard that's missing the letter "R". It'll neve eally be practical.

#140 OFFLINE   poppo

poppo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:51 PM

For some reason this is pretty much the only site were people treat this APP as the God of all APPs.

I don't think anyone has said the app was perfect. If you feel it is usless, then just don't use it. I would use it more if it it had more features, but find I am using it a lot more than I thought I would. But then again, I use my iPad a lot, so I often already have it nearby.

#141 OFFLINE   mcnallc1

mcnallc1

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:38 PM

Just downloaded 1.2.6

New in this Version
Unified Playlist
Can delete from app

Edited by mcnallc1, 21 September 2011 - 06:43 PM.

#142 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,026 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:47 PM

Just saw this myself. Unified playlist nice, still wanting ToDo list :)

#143 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:01 PM

I'm still waiting for streaming. I will say it again. They can keep adding all of the bells and whistles that do exactly the same thing you can do while sitting in front of your TV or with the regular iPhone APP, and this APP will still be unimpressive until they add streaming capability

Protected By... spam firewall...And...