Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Thrashers Headed to Winnipeg

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:59 PM

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=6610414

Deal announced this morning.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:12 PM

It would seem Atlanta and its hockey fans there are not too happy:

http://blogs.ajc.com...given-a-chance/
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#3 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,013 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:58 PM

Too bad for the die hard Atlanta fans, but 13,469 average attendance won't cut it.

They're crazy about their hockey up North there, and with the better exchange rate between the US and Canadian dollar maybe the new team will do better in Winnipeg than the old one. Thing is, the MTS Centre only seats 15,015 for the current AHL team. Wonder if they will or can expand it?

Saw the Jets in the old Winnipeg Arena in the early 90s when I lived in Grand Forks.
Unfortunately that day they beat the Red Wings.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#4 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,703 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:11 PM

I wonder if the Atlanta area will get the games on TV? I know when Winnipeg moved to Phoenix they still got the games on TV in Winnipeg.

Lets see what kind of team and players they can put together. Should be interesting.

#5 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:32 PM

Too bad for the die hard Atlanta fans, but 13,469 average attendance won't cut it.

They're crazy about their hockey up North there, and with the better exchange rate between the US and Canadian dollar maybe the new team will do better in Winnipeg than the old one. Thing is, the MTS Centre only seats 15,015 for the current AHL team. Wonder if they will or can expand it?

The article implies that the attendance was directly proportionate to the product the put on the ice. :shrug:
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#6 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 889 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:02 PM

I wonder if the Atlanta area will get the games on TV? I know when Winnipeg moved to Phoenix they still got the games on TV in Winnipeg.

Lets see what kind of team and players they can put together. Should be interesting.

according to "rumors" via Twitter, FS South is looking to add either Carolina games or Nashville games to the ATL area.

#7 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,836 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:40 PM

Wonder what the re-alignment going to look like?

My guess, Nashville moves to the SouthEast divison, as Winnipeg enters the Central.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#8 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:52 PM

Several sites and talking heads are saying that it's too late to move the teams for next season; so Winnipeg will stay in the SE for one year. After that Detroit will probably move east. I guess Columbus is also a possibility, but I'm guessing (and hoping) that Detroit is the one to move east.

#9 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:21 PM

Any guesses to the Winnipeg team name ? Thrashers,Jets ?

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#10 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:36 PM

people seem to want to keep the jets name...... i kind of hope they do so as well at this point. as an oilers fan i'm just excited for a renewed rivalry...

Edited by fireponcoal, 02 June 2011 - 07:06 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,836 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:01 PM

Several sites and talking heads are saying that it's too late to move the teams for next season; so Winnipeg will stay in the SE for one year. After that Detroit will probably move east. I guess Columbus is also a possibility, but I'm guessing (and hoping) that Detroit is the one to move east.

And next season there probably be another move because these seem to happen in small bunches.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#12 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:52 AM

Supposedly either Detroit or Columbus will be moving to the East for the 2012-2013 season to balance things out. Some other re-alignment is also in discussion, such as making a new Atlantic division with the Rangers, Devils, Bruins, Islanders, and Flyers.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#13 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 04:51 PM

Nashville seems like the more logical choice and would be a one-team straightup swap.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#14 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,188 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:03 PM

No way do you separate Boston and Montreal.

#15 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:09 PM

No way do you separate Boston and Montreal.

Yep, and no way do you separate Detroit and Chicago.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#16 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:57 PM

Red Wings fans and the team want the team east so they don't have so many 10PM start times. Bettman said last year if they had to move someone east, it would be Detroit or Columbus; he said they were the only two teams in eastern time zone playing in the west and because both teams had requested a move to the east if a spot opened up.

#17 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,836 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:37 PM

But Nashville only about 200 miles northwest of Atlanta.

Edited by Drucifer, 05 June 2011 - 11:33 PM.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#18 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,609 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 05 June 2011 - 09:23 PM

What's that mean for the 'Yotes?

#19 OFFLINE   tenpins

tenpins

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 05 June 2011 - 09:27 PM

Every Western Conference team would like to see Detroit go to the East. Unfortunately they realize that seeing the Red Wings every 3rd year (current scheduling) will cost them $'s in the end. IMHO its about attendance and the loyal following of the Red Wings do not live in the Eastern time zone other than the state of Michigan/ surrounding area. Other than the teams they have beat to win the Stanley Cup; not many Eastern teams hate the Wings. Western conference teams would love to have the cushy travel schedules that the east enjoys.

#20 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:27 PM

Every Western Conference team would like to see Detroit go to the East. Unfortunately they realize that seeing the Red Wings every 3rd year (current scheduling) will cost them $'s in the end. IMHO its about attendance and the loyal following of the Red Wings do not live in the Eastern time zone other than the state of Michigan/ surrounding area. Other than the teams they have beat to win the Stanley Cup; not many Eastern teams hate the Wings. Western conference teams would love to have the cushy travel schedules that the east enjoys.

I'm a loyal Wings fan and I live in the east, as do two other displaced Michiganders on my street. I also saw Detroit play in Tampa and Atlanta this season. The Red Wing fans were a significant part of the crowd in both cities. I think Detroit has fans in all time zones.

So if it is about attendance and money, then Detroit should definitely move east. The eastern arenas have more seats than the western ones. It doesn't matter if Detroit, Nashville or Columbus is moved east; still more seats in the east. So following your argument, Detroit, which had the largest road attendance of all teams, has the potential to draw more fans in the east thereby increasing the gate for the NHL. Also Detroit's TV revenues are lower right because the majority of their away games happen at 10 or 10:30PM. Get them in the east and their TV revenues could also increase.

But moving Detroit east will cause a domino effect within the eastern conferences. As RasputinAXP said previously, moving Nashville to the SE will be a one-for-one with Atlanta/Winnipeg.

Of course if Phoenix is sold next season, they could be moving and that will change all of this. And who knows what is going to happen to Florida by the end of next year. Might be a totally different picture within the NHL this time next year.

spam firewall