Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Padres/Fox Sports closing in on deal

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:52 PM

http://www.nctimes.c...9a07f83b50.html

The Padres are close to announcing a new TV deal that will net the club between $25-30 million a season, a sizable increase over what the team is receiving from Channel 4 San Diego, a source with knowledge of the situation said.
Several industry sources say the deal is with Fox, which will broadcast Padres games on a yet-to-be-determined station.
The deal will likely be for 20 years and it could be announced before the end of the month, the source said.
A Fox Sports San Diego Network is being discussed, but industry sources say Padres games could be placed on FSN-Prime Ticket at least at the start of the contract.
FSN-Prime Ticket broadcasts Los Angeles Dodgers games, but those games are blacked out in San Diego under Major League Baseball rules.

It's only tv!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   paco1986

paco1986

Icon

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:18 PM

http://www.nctimes.c...9a07f83b50.html

This was already posted in this thread: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=191624

#3 OFFLINE   paco1986

paco1986

Icon

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:15 PM

The latest rumor is that FSN is expected to announce the new Padres TV deal by the All Star Break in mid July.:)

#4 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:25 PM

they would have to create FSN san diego, If they put it on FS prime ticket to start, i wonder what happens when dodgers come on. MLB rules doesn't allow dodgers to broadcast in SD unless they change it.

#5 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,716 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:02 PM

Maybe PrimeTicket 2?
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#6 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,080 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:09 PM

they would have to create FSN san diego, If they put it on FS prime ticket to start, i wonder what happens when dodgers come on. MLB rules doesn't allow dodgers to broadcast in SD unless they change it.

They can always do a regional parttime channel like they do in Ohio and Wisconsin.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#7 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:32 PM

The Ducks and Clippers broadcast into San Diego through Prime Ticket, same with the Lakers and Kings on FS West (for now anyway). Both the Angels and Dodgers are blacked out in San Diego and Imperial Counties and the same with Padre games north of Camp Pendleton.

FS San Diego subfeed may happen on the interim, I doubt it would become permanent unless the Dodgers somehow remain with Fox Sports. But the signs are pointing to the Dodgers joining the Lakers/TWC venture. Frank McCourt pretty much had the same idea regarding separate RSNs for English and Spanish for L.A., then the fit hit the shan for him.

#8 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:35 PM

Or the padres could end up on the twc channel.. You never know, but I suspect they are after the dodgers first...

All we all have to hope for is McCourt is tossed to the sea in the next couple weeks so things can take shape over the rest of the year.

#9 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:22 PM

Or the padres could end up on the twc channel.. You never know, but I suspect they are after the dodgers first...

All we all have to hope for is McCourt is tossed to the sea in the next couple weeks so things can take shape over the rest of the year.

Or the Padres could end up with FOX, according to already posted rumors. No one knows what will happen with the Dodgers, so any talk of a deal with TWC is premature and baseless.

It would be nice if the Padres' games were shown throughout its territory, which includes a chunk of Phoenix and Tucson. Even Cox didn't show Padres games throughout the Padres market, even though it is the provider in those cities.

Edited by adkinsjm, 11 July 2011 - 01:10 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 03:58 PM

July 20 we will know if mccourt will remain in control or if MLB will have control over dodgers.

Let say this.

MLB takes dodgers, and then puts them up for sale. If and when a new owner is selected. Who would he want to have as the team's TV provider.

Also could Fox sports make the same offer to the new owner, Selig would approve because he would use it for the team and not own personal gain.

then again the new owner could select a different provider IE TWC.

i wonder if Fox would then offer Prime ticket or West fully to San Diego.

even though Kings still are on Fox, not sure how long they are on

#11 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:21 AM

Or the Padres could end up with FOX, according to already posted rumors. No one knows what will happen with the Dodgers, so any talk of a deal with TWC is premature and baseless.

It would be nice if the Padres' games were shown throughout its territory, which includes a chunk of Phoenix and Tucson. Even Cox didn't show Padres games throughout the Padres market, even though it is the provider in those cities.

Not at all baseless. It's no secret that twcwants a baseball team to share with the lakers, and the dodgers would be perfect.

And it also makes no difference who owns the team, I don't see any way twc doesn't bid on the dodgers once the exclusive window closes... And fox may not pony up... They sure where arrogant about the lakers negotiations, thinking they where the only ones who had a chance and that caused them to loose the lakers.

And twc can offer more than fox, unless fox is going to add another rsn for our market, and in Spanish, like twc...

#12 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:24 AM

[QUOTE=adkinsjm;2813561
It would be nice if the Padres' games were shown throughout its territory, which includes a chunk of Phoenix and Tucson. Even Cox didn't show Padres games throughout the Padres market, even though it is the provider in those cities.[/QUOTE]

I thought the Padres lost that territory when the DBacks was added to the NL.
It's only tv!

#13 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:35 PM

padres are also in the vegas area.

giants, a's, padres, angels, dodgers, dbacks 6 mlb teams are considered to be in vegas local market. with all that, mlb extra innings should be free.

#14 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:32 AM

Nope. Put in 85310 or 85345 in MLB.tv's blackout tool and you'll see. I don't know the exact boundaries, but a good chunk of of West Valley in Phoenix is in Padres territory.

#15 OFFLINE   Deja Vu U Monty

Deja Vu U Monty

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:15 PM

I live in Vegas. Went to the first Padre game ever so been around a lot. Here, not matter what they say, we get no D-Backs, No Giants, No A's and certainly no Cox-Padres be they on MLB, Comcast, Espn or whatever. It's subscribe to overpriced, really inferior Cox or you get no Padres. I knew that when I took the plunge to DTV. But I want the Mtn and the sports channels and Cox made no deals.

So it will be nice when the deal ends. However, if the Pads go to Prime Ticket in SD we still won't see them since this is Dodgerville. McCourt or not. No good unless there is a separate channel. Perhaps this is why there still has been no announcement from the Cheapskates, err Padres, on a new TV deal. If Cox does not pick up the new channel it will be a boondoggle for DTV for new subscriptions. Lucky dogs. At least they will get Sunday Ticket too. :hurah:

#16 OFFLINE   paco1986

paco1986

Icon

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 06:54 PM

I guess a minor update on the Padres TV deal: http://www.nctimes.c...866b033b58.html

SAN DIEGO - Channel 4 formally acknowledged Tuesday that it won't broadcast Padres games in 2012, and sources confirmed for the North County Times that the station has issued layoff notices to most of its employees involved in baseball programming.

#17 OFFLINE   hallrk

hallrk

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:19 AM

I wonder if FOX will retain Dick Enberg as the PBP announcer? I've always liked him and enjoy his broadcasts when I can catch them via MLBEI.

#18 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:21 AM

So will they be on Fox Sports West, Prime Ticket, or another new one starting up? If they are on West or Prime Ticket, since they are LA market RSNs, will those in LA be able to see the Padres games?

#19 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,418 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:41 AM

So will they be on Fox Sports West, Prime Ticket, or another new one starting up? If they are on West or Prime Ticket, since they are LA market RSNs, will those in LA be able to see the Padres games?

My semi-educated guess is that Fox will create a new part-time "Fox Sports San Diego" or "Prime Ticket San Diego" feed for Padres games, which would be a part-time channel on DirecTV and would preempt the regular feed of either channel on San Diego cable systems. So in L.A., you'd only get the Padres broadcasts with an MLB Extra Innings subscription, same as today.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#20 OFFLINE   paco1986

paco1986

Icon

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:42 PM

My semi-educated guess is that Fox will create a new part-time "Fox Sports San Diego" or "Prime Ticket San Diego" feed for Padres games, which would be a part-time channel on DirecTV and would preempt the regular feed of either channel on San Diego cable systems. So in L.A., you'd only get the Padres broadcasts with an MLB Extra Innings subscription, same as today.

Yep, since MLB is not like the NFL (L.A. being the Chargers secondary home TV market), you'll need MLB EI to watch the Padres in the L.A. market.

spam firewall