Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Powered hub and no sling?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MadScientist

MadScientist

Godfather

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:40 PM

I need your help with my sling adapter. I have tried two USB powered hubs, and my sling still does not power up. The USB powered hubs have been 2.0 hubs. And still does not power the sling what am I doing wrong or what should I do? The sling is working if I plug it in the back or front of the 722K DVR. It will not turn on when in the hub.

Edited by MadScientist, 01 June 2011 - 01:53 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:02 PM

Plug it directly into the DVR and leave it?

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#3 OFFLINE   wafflejuice

wafflejuice

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:48 PM

I need your help with my sling adapter. I have tried two USB powered hubs, and my sling still does not power up. The USB powered hubs have been 2.0 hubs. And still does not power the sling what am I doing wrong or what should I do? The sling is working if I plug it in the back or front of the 722K DVR. It will not turn on when in the hub.

Some powered USB hubs are incompatible with the 722K, for instance I bought a GE 4-port USB 2.0 hub that didn't work as you described.

On another forum someone mentioned the D-Link DUB-H4 High Speed USB 2.0 4-Port Hub as working with their 722K so I bought one for mine and it works great to connect a Sling Adapter, Wi-Fi Adapter and EHD to the rear USB port. Others I'm sure can point out hubs they use that may cost less. Hope this helps.

#4 OFFLINE   MadScientist

MadScientist

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:32 PM

This is the last one I tried I got it from Amazon.com and it too did not work.

Edited by MadScientist, 02 June 2011 - 12:41 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   MadScientist

MadScientist

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:38 PM

What do you mean just plug it in? And leave it? That is what I did and it did not work? Should it not work when you power it on? Does the sling need time to know that there is power for it to use?

Plug it directly into the DVR and leave it?

#6 OFFLINE   kejebe

kejebe

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:53 PM

I use a cheap $14 non powered hub and it works just fine.. My external hard drive has it's own power source..

If the other USB items you want to connect to the hub aside from the Sling Adaptor have their own power source you don't need a powered hub.

Hope that help.

Kevin.

#7 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:16 PM

Do you have your lan adapter and your Sling adapter plugged in to your non powered hub?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#8 OFFLINE   kejebe

kejebe

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:26 PM

The only two devices I have connected to my non powered USB hub are my Sling Adapter and powered external hard drive.

My internet connection is via Ethernet to a Power Line Ethernet adapter.

#9 OFFLINE   MadScientist

MadScientist

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:32 PM

This is what I have: One powered USB hub (need one that works), One Sling adapter, One external harddrive (harddrive has its own power supple as what Dish Network calls for). Internet is hard wired.
Powered USB hub plugged into the back of the 722k, Sling plugged into the powered USB hub, Harddrive plugged into the USB hub.
That’s it, and sling does not turn on?

Ps. I want to thank everyone also for your help!

#10 OFFLINE   kejebe

kejebe

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:38 PM

I'm not sure I'm understanding what you saying..

Are you saying you need a POWERED USB hub that works? If so why do you think you need a powered USB hub?

From the setup your telling me you have you don't need a POWERED USB hub a non powered one will work just fine and will be cheaper.

Kevin.

#11 OFFLINE   MadScientist

MadScientist

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:55 PM

Dish Network says (Mary from Dish Network ) says that I need a powered USB hub v.2.0. I have tried three so far and no go. I have tried it non powered and no go. I just tried it again and no go (what I mean by no go is the sling red power light does not come on in any con fig!) If I plug the sling in the only USB in the back of the unit (722k) it works fine!

#12 OFFLINE   kejebe

kejebe

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:46 PM

Ahh, now I understand..

Well I can confirm that a non powered USB hub works 100% fine as long as all the other devices aside form the Sling Adapter have their own power sources.

You mentioned that you tried a non powered one as well. Is this the same powered one you have just without the power being fed to it or a completely different non powered hub? If it is the same powered hub with no power attached I'm not sure it would work seeing as the hub is designed to be used with power. Even if it does from what I gather based on other posts it sounds like the 722 has issues with certain powered hubs. So maybe even without the power connected to this hub whatever the problem the 722 has with these powered hubs is still there? Just an idea..

Kevin.

#13 OFFLINE   MadScientist

MadScientist

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:54 PM

The powered hub I used had no power going to it. When plugged in the back of the 722 the hub turned on, showing four green lights. I plugged the sling into one of them with the green lights on the hub, at which time I get on the screen telling me that the sling is installed enjoy, but no red light on the unit. I tried to connect to it and no go.

I am just about to give up!

#14 OFFLINE   kejebe

kejebe

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:00 PM

Well that is bizarre. If your getting the on screen message telling you it has been installed and no red light I'm not sure what would cause that..

I think it is safe to say that your powered hub is working or you wouldn't have received that on screen message.

Can you access your external hard drive via the powered hub? That would even further confirm the powered hub isn't the problem.

Maybe the red light just doesn't work on yours and it is more of a network issue rather than a connection issue.

Can you access your DVR via a computer?

Kevin.

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:20 PM

Connect your hub to PC and run a program UVCView.x86.exe (from MS site); click on your hub in left pane and c&p right pane's info here.

#16 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:42 AM

Just to be clear, the powered USB hubs you are trying have an external power supply plugged into a wall outlet?

#17 OFFLINE   MadScientist

MadScientist

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:26 AM

Hello all,
First I would like to thank everyone that has helped me in trying to get the sling to work with my powered hub. I also would like to thank dish network for having a great piece of hardware. But I have spent way to much time in trying to have my cake and eat it at the same time. It looks as the only way I can use the sling adapter is plugged directly into the back or the front of the 722k DVR. I tried three external powered USB hub and all three would not power the little red light on top of the sling. For this reason I give up! I will just have to unplug the sling when I need to use my external harddrive; or plug it in the front when I need to use both. I don’t know why this is not working.

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:47 AM

And again, if your 'powered' USB hub doesn't have EXTERNAL power adapter (5VDC and 2 A) you HAVE non-powered hub !

#19 OFFLINE   MadScientist

MadScientist

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:26 PM

And once more this was a powered...external powered...120volts powered hub that did not work

And again, if your 'powered' USB hub doesn't have EXTERNAL power adapter (5VDC and 2 A) you HAVE non-powered hub !

Edited by MadScientist, 13 June 2011 - 02:14 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:19 PM

I just use an old powered Belkin hub I bought years ago.

It has a "wall wart" style 5 volt power supply.
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

spam firewall