Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will Sling work if the other TV is on?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dale001

dale001

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:05 PM

Thinking about getting Sling with my 722K.

Is it true that the Sling experience won't work if the other TV (blue light on the DVR) that is a part of the the same DVR is on a channel?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:45 PM

It is my experience that the Sling adapter takes over TV2.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#3 OFFLINE   dale001

dale001

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:05 PM

I'm sure I overlooked that asterisk in the Dish/Sling literature because that's an important point to consider.

In a household that does use TV2, it certainly pays to know that--and thank you for the info.

#4 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:45 PM

That has been my experience as well with DISH Sling Adapter. It might be worth looking at a regular Slingbox. It might behave differently, BUT I don't have one, so I cannot speak from personal experience,

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,542 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:35 PM

Worth keeping in mind...

I know people view this as a limitation... but consider... the only alternative would be allowing a remote viewer to take over the TV2 viewing from the local user.

So imagine you are sitting at home watching TV2... and then you lose control of it to your wife or kid who is away from home and decides to Sling at that moment!

Even if you had an external slingbox... you'd still be facing the same problem. Either the second TV needs to not be in use OR you'd have a system that allows a remote viewer to hijack control from a local viewer.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#6 OFFLINE   dale001

dale001

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:22 AM

good points.

I still think this has to be pointed out in the company literature so that homeowners realize the limitation--but like I said, I may have missed it, so thanks to all for replying.

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,542 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:37 PM

good points.

I still think this has to be pointed out in the company literature so that homeowners realize the limitation--but like I said, I may have missed it, so thanks to all for replying.

I agree.

It's very obvious once you sit and think about it... but it isn't intuitive to everyone, and I think it would be a good idea if the full functionality was explained a little better up front.

#8 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:26 PM

I have to say that technically speaking the Sling Adapter is pretty cool. Practically speaking, I'm not really impressed given the obvious limitations. When I was traveling extensively, and my wife was the only one watching TV at home, it would have been very useful. These days it's just something to tinker with during the day when my lovely wife wife is at work supporting me and my toys. :)
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#9 OFFLINE   mfabel

mfabel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:58 AM

How does the sling adapter / receiver know if TV2 is turned on? Isn't there always a signal being sent to TV2, whether or not the TV is turned on?

#10 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:36 AM

It doesn't.

#11 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,542 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:59 PM

How does the sling adapter / receiver know if TV2 is turned on? Isn't there always a signal being sent to TV2, whether or not the TV is turned on?

It doesn't.

Technically speaking, the receiver doesn't know if TV1 or TV1 (the actual TV) is turned on or not... so it takes its cues elsewhere...

Depending on mode:

1. In single mode: IF a recording is in progress on the 2nd tuner, you should not be able to Sling because the receiver knows that tuner is already in use.

2. In dual mode: A recording in progress on the 2nd tuner still prevents... but also, you have the ability to wake the TV2 location with the 2nd remote. IF you have awakened tuner 2 with the 2nd remote, then the receiver assumes it is being watched whether you actually are or not.

#12 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:08 PM

Technically speaking, the receiver doesn't know if TV1 or TV1 (the actual TV) is turned on or not... so it takes its cues elsewhere...

Depending on mode:

1. In single mode: IF a recording is in progress on the 2nd tuner, you should not be able to Sling because the receiver knows that tuner is already in use.

I just did that. What's on my laptop is the program that's recording on TV2.

#13 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,542 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:05 PM

I just did that. What's on my laptop is the program that's recording on TV2.

Would it let you change channels?

I'm surprised. I guess it is ok to allow you to sling if it doesn't let you abort the recording or change the channel... but that would mean the sling session is limited to you watching what is being recorded.

I would have thought it would just give the "TV2 is in use" error and stop you. Either I'm wrong, or you've uncovered a glitch.

#14 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:16 PM

I'll do a little more checking. I did notice the other day when I "slinged" to TV2 when a recording was in progress that it started another recording on the same channel which I thought was a no-no. I ended up with a one hour recording and a 43 minute recording from the same channel. Today it did not start another recording.

#15 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,542 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:25 PM

I don't run in dual mode... but I'll have to play around a bit with my 922 and see how it behaves. I typically don't try to sling when I know TV2 is in use by a recording because usually it is a recording I don't want to miss!

So I'll have to schedule something... then try and Sling and see what it does.

spam firewall