Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP722 - L6.76 Software Experiences/Bugs Discuss

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,319 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:31 PM

Well apparently I got L6.76 last night on my 722. It appears this post was a waste of time:

What I'm saying is that the Preferences -> Guide Format screen isn't working correctly - As I said, the Banner option On vs. Off is making no difference. VERY frustrating. I want to turn that video window off!

Those choices were actually available before, although the screen looked different. I used to have it set for small font, no video window, and it was perfect.

How do I officially report a bug?

Also, we were informed that the modifications in this software update will roll out to all VIP models over the next few months!

Please, please tell engineering to not make that particular change in the other models. It's a really, really bad idea not to be able to turn the video window off. In fact its a really, really bad feature not to be able to turn that video window off when one is doing anything other than watching live TV, period. In my opinion, of course.

I have no idea what could possible have been gained in making it impossible to eliminate the video window and thereby reducing the number of channels visible from 10 to 7.

Is there something sacred for someone over in Dish Engineering about spoiling my recording programs for me while I switch to something else on the second receiver? Or was it to prevent me from seeing what's playing on my favorite 10 local stations in one screen?

Whatever it was, I'm sure it was about me!:D

Posted Image

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   V35_Pilot

V35_Pilot

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:33 AM

Is there something sacred for someone over in Dish Engineering about spoiling my recording programs for me while I switch to something else on the second receiver? Or was it to prevent me from seeing what's playing on my favorite 10 local stations in one screen?

Exactly. Turning on the receiver during a recording in progress and being forced to see it in all video windows all while scrambling to start the recording over again without seeing what is going on is my biggest complaint about this option being taken away.

It used to be that you could quickly pull up the guide and switch channels first, and then pull up the DVR menu (which also has the video in the upper right corner that cannot be disabled, MEH!) so as not to see what is happening at that moment during a recording in progress.

Definitely am very DISCOURAGED with this change.

#3 OFFLINE   Ray_Schwarz

Ray_Schwarz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:13 PM

Perhaps so we would not miss the Commercials ...

#4 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:04 PM

While I see everyone's point, and don't understand why DISH changed this, I would suggest just pressing PAUSE then do what you need to do, shouldn't have anything spoiled or anything especially if you just don't look at the video...

#5 OFFLINE   V35_Pilot

V35_Pilot

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:04 PM

While I see everyone's point, and don't understand why DISH changed this, I would suggest just pressing PAUSE then do what you need to do, shouldn't have anything spoiled or anything especially if you just don't look at the video...

The last time a company tried to dumb down its software to meet the lowest common denominator (which appears to be the case for this particular change), the tech world lambasted Microsoft for releasing Windows ME. :)
15 year Dish Network Customer

#6 OFFLINE   Sunnyatthebeach

Sunnyatthebeach

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:07 PM

When playing a recorded program and pushing the "back" button on the remote to back up 10 seconds, it sometimes backs up several minutes.

I also had this problem in L6.74, but not in L6.72.

#7 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:12 PM

Whatever it was, I'm sure it was about me!:D

:yesman:

#8 OFFLINE   kinglerch

kinglerch

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:22 AM

i just don't understand why they would change the format of the guide after so many years, without even an option to choose the old way if you liked it better before. it's like saying "you'll enjoy this new way so much, we're not even giving you the option to go back"...

btw, i hate it. why not fill the screen with a stock ticker too. i wanna see what's on the guide, that's why i pushed the guide button.

#9 OFFLINE   Tulsa1

Tulsa1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:59 AM

It seems to me the video window would have more value if it showed what
you have highlighted on the guide, like a preview.

#10 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:29 PM

That would require another tuner of some sort.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#11 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:01 PM

I was someplace where that is what it did, but I hated that actually. Because I want to browse and watch the show I am currently watching. Maybe you could give the option of which way it was to be done, but I am the kind who is always browsing and looking at other stuff and want my current show always to be playing in a window so I can do all that without missing something.

Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#12 OFFLINE   KevinRS

KevinRS

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:12 PM

The banner that can be turned off is apparently the advertisement at the bottom. I am not happy with there being no apparent way to hide HD channels, forced to see both, even on TV2 output where HD is impossible. I do see that KCAL 9 now has HD, which is added since I checked.
I've also seen the back button error for months on my 722, and also seen it on my sister's 722k. Skip forward one too many times to skip commercials, press back, and sometimes even see commercials, but they are the previous set of commercials up to 10 minutes before what you were watching.

Just went to purchase history (there should be nothing) and it crashed the reciever, waiting on it to reboot now, hopefully.

didn't start up, just cut power off to it for a couple minutes then will try again.

Maybe it's going to work now

Working now, was considering if Dish wanted me to buy a new reciever I might just cancel and do without TV for a while, Only currently 2-3 shows recording on DVR per week I watch, and one has season finale monday.

Edited by KevinRS, 17 June 2011 - 10:21 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   Klatu

Klatu

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:46 AM

New to posting on a forum....thought I would give it a try. I recently got the 6.76 update on my VIP722 receiver and noticed that it had the sound leveling audio output capability and it was defaulted to "on". I didn't see it anywhere on the discussions, so, maybe I missed it? Anyhow, thanks to all you guys over the years; it really helped me solve a bunch of problems easily and effectively.

#14 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:57 PM

Noticed something new and I am not happy about it. When changing channels, instead of just getting the info bar at the top of the screen there is now a large banner lower on the screen telling me about dishonline, I checked and I am pretty sure I have all the popup/enhancements/banner crap disabled. Anybody know how to get rid of it. L6.76-722 here.

Edited by olds403, 22 June 2011 - 05:05 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   kucharsk

kucharsk

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:56 AM

Noticed something new and I am not happy about it. When changing channels, instead of just getting the info bar at the top of the screen there is now a large banner lower on the screen telling me about dishonline, I checked and I am pretty sure I have all the popup/enhancements/banner crap disabled. Anybody know how to get rid of it. L6.76-722 here.

I've tried all options and it's like the ads on a TiVo box - you can't shut off the stupid banner ad at the bottom. :-(

#16 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:49 AM

New to posting on a forum....thought I would give it a try. I recently got the 6.76 update on my VIP722 receiver and noticed that it had the sound leveling audio output capability and it was defaulted to "on". I didn't see it anywhere on the discussions, so, maybe I missed it? Anyhow, thanks to all you guys over the years; it really helped me solve a bunch of problems easily and effectively.

Welcome! :welcome_s

#17 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:27 PM

When changing channels, instead of just getting the info bar at the top of the screen there is now a large banner lower on the screen telling me about dishonline, ...

That must be the popup that we saw added to a bunch of channels in this week's uplink activity. Does anyone not yet on L676 see the bottom banner when you change channels?
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#18 OFFLINE   jrseh

jrseh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:34 PM

Not seeing such a banner here on my 722, and I do have the L676 software load.

John

#19 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:50 PM

Try 360 and 364 for the dishonline banner.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#20 OFFLINE   Klatu

Klatu

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:40 PM

I think it's just the Platinum channels that have that annoying banner at the bottom. It may be the beginning of that type of advertising for all channels in the future, or, is Dish just letting us know that we can see this stuff on our computers?

In any case, it seems as if it adds about 2-3 seconds to the channel shift in Platinum.

spam firewall