Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV Service Suspended, can I reactivate for one day?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   flashburn

flashburn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:35 PM

I currently have my DirecTV service suspended. Is it possible just to reactivate my service for a day or two, and then suspend it again? I kind of want to reactivate in order to watch the Le Mans race this weekend.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,653 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:22 PM

I doubt it. I think the minimum is probably 30-days. But you can't continually suspend your account, either. Have you called to ask them?
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:24 PM

As far as I know you can only suspend you account once in any 12 month period for a maximum of 6 months. So if you take it off suspension you will have to keep it active until 1 year from when you originally put it on suspension. For example if you suspended in March and unsuspended this weekend you would have to keep your service active until next March before you could susped it again.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#4 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:27 PM

As far as I know you can only suspend you account once in any 12 month period for a maximum of 6 months. So if you take it off suspension you will have to keep it active until 1 year from when you originally put it on suspension. For example if you suspended in March and unsuspended this weekend you would have to keep your service active until next March before you could susped it again.

They will waiver the six months if more time is needed. They did it for me when I closed on my house two years ago.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#5 OFFLINE   flashburn

flashburn

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:29 PM

Ah, okay, thanks guys. I figured there would have to be some sort of restriction on it. I was only planning on reactivating for NHL playoffs if my team makes it in. I guess that wouldn't really work either, since I'd only need it for like 2 months max. I guess I'll go ahead and just cancel my service outright then, seems pointless to just keep it suspended.

#6 OFFLINE   flashburn

flashburn

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:29 PM

They will waiver the six months if more time is needed. They did it for me when I closed on my house two years ago.

Okay, that was what I was told initially, I can just keep suspending every six months.

#7 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:34 PM

Okay, that was what I was told initially, I can just keep suspending every six months.

Not what I said. Policy is one suspention in a twelve month period up to six months long. They will waiver the six month rule if more time is needed. You can only suspend service once in a twelve month period. Not every six months.

#8 OFFLINE   flashburn

flashburn

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:40 PM

Not what I said. Policy is one suspention in a twelve month period up to six months long. They will waiver the six month rule if more time is needed. You can only suspend service once in a twelve month period. Not every six months.

Miscommunication, I understand what you are saying. They told me if I'm not ready to reactivate after six months I can just have them put it on hold again for another six months.

#9 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:42 PM

This is why I left that part out, didn't want to make it more confusing:D.

What MysteryMan is saying is sometimes they will allow you to extend the 6 month suspension for a longer period of time. For example allow you to suspend for a total of 8 months if you are moving, remodelling, etc.

I don't think they waiver much on only allowing one suspension per year. Otherwise people would just call up and suspend all the time rather than keeping the service. Have service for 2 months, suspend for a month, keep it for 3 months, suspend for 4 months, etc. They don't want to bother with people trying to do that.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#10 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:56 PM

What MysteryMan is saying is sometimes they will allow you to extend the 6 month suspension for a longer period of time. For example allow you to suspend for a total of 8 months if you are moving, remodelling, etc.

I don't think they waiver much on only allowing one suspension per year. Otherwise people would just call up and suspend all the time rather than keeping the service. Have service for 2 months, suspend for a month, keep it for 3 months, suspend for 4 months, etc. They don't want to bother with people trying to do that.

You are correct. I was granted a waiver and given additional time on my suspended service due to long closing on my house (8 months).

#11 OFFLINE   nottellingyou

nottellingyou

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:46 PM

This is correct. They will sometimes (depending on representative) extend for a short period, but you have to bear in mind that whatever amount of time that you account is suspended, it also suspends your agreement. So if you suspend your acct for 6 months it will add 6 months to your agreement end date, increasing your early cancellation fee if that is what you decide to do.

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,116 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:16 AM

I don't think the fee is actually increased, it just doesn't go down.

#13 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:27 PM

I know someone who only activates his account for the NFL season. He tells them its their summer home and they are suspending service while they are up north. He's been doing it for about the past 10 years and has had no problem doing this.
HR34-700, HR22-100

Protected By... spam firewall...And...