Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New SWM dish setup question

whole home dvr

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lowmover

lowmover

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:43 PM

I just purchased a new Directv SWM dish for my friends house. It came with the green 4 way swm splitter, the power supply and the complete dish setup. The head unit has the green SWM sticker and has one coaxial out. He has two receivers a HR-22 and a R-16. I took down his old round dish that he used to have which worked fine for SD but he added HD to his package and bought this dish. Here is the problem. I installed the new dish with the tilt, elavation, and azmith settings that I use on my Slimline, we live close to each other. I was able to get a signal of 97 to 100 on the 110* satellite on all three transponders. I was also able to get three of the 101* transponders 27,29, and 30 into the 95 range. Also, about half of the SWM transponders were in the 95 range. All other satellites and transponders are on 0. No matter how much I move the satellite in any way the only signals I can pick up are the ones listed. At first I thought it was a tree problem so I moved the dish to a new part of the house with with a clear view to the sky and I am seeing the same results in both locations. So I took his power supply and LNB head to my house and installed it on my SWM dish as a direct replacement. All my receivers worked just fine and all the satellites had the same signal as with my original LNB head. His house has some old RG-59 coaxial so I replaced it all with RG-6 with no luck. So my question is what could make this happen besides the environment, like trees. I really don't think it is the trees and I don't think it is the satellite positioning. Thanks for any comments.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:48 PM

I was able to get a signal of 97 to 100 on the 110* satellite on all three transponders. I was also able to get three of the 101* transponders 27,29, and 30 into the 95 range.

If you were really pointed at the 110 as your center, then these readings are what you'll get.
What the receiver shows for 110, is really coming from 119, and the "three" showing from 101, are really coming off the only three at 110.
Move the dish east about 10 degrees.
A.K.A VOS

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: whole home dvr

Protected By... spam firewall...And...