Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Downgrading 722k -> 612 to save $7 / month

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Vasanth B

Vasanth B

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:44 AM

I decided that with new season True Blood coming and the requisite HBO-crack charge of $16 / month, that my current bill which is already over $100 (AT 250, HD-4-life, VIP922 primary, 722k secondary and associated lease & DVR fees) would simply be too expensive.

I realized that we hardly ever use PIP on the 2nd TV which is on our upstairs home theater projector. I also believe the 2nd TV output is increasingly useless in this age of every TV in the house going HD. I talked to the CSRs on chat and committed 24 months again which is not a big deal since we were already under contract for the 922 upgrade and only extends us 6 months farther. Going to a 612 saves us $7 a month and I can still record 2 satellite shows + 1 OTA. I see now that I'm giving up on the ability to get the free w/rebate Sling Adapter offer but we already have that with the 922 so I'm not losing out. The $17 2nd HDDuo fee is simply too high.

I bought the OTA module for the 722K so I'll just sell that on eBay and there is no charge for the tech visit. I don't know why I didn't think of doing this originally a few months ago when I ordered the 722k.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:05 AM

Well, you proposed it right; perhaps switching to Netflix with a small box (Roku ?) would reduce your bill too ?

#3 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:06 AM

I never cared for the 612 I had, it was just too buggy. Perhaps in the year plus since then they have ironed out the problems. I dropped my second 722 for a 211K with an EHD attached to make it work like a DVR. Saves $10 that way.

#4 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 02:31 PM

The 612's have become a very good receiver. They had problems earlier on, but overall all mine have been great. Exchanged one for rebooting, replacement and other two are fine.

#5 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 471 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:52 PM

The 612's have become a very good receiver. They had problems earlier on, but overall all mine have been great. Exchanged one for rebooting, replacement and other two are fine.

I had the same exact experience with the same results.

#6 OFFLINE   Vasanth B

Vasanth B

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:33 AM

Well, you proposed it right; perhaps switching to Netflix with a small box (Roku ?) would reduce your bill too ?

We have Netflix on both of our TVs through the Blu-ray players. We have to many series and shows we watch so Dish will have us for a least a few more years. :P

#7 OFFLINE   Vasanth B

Vasanth B

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:36 AM

I dropped my second 722 for a 211K with an EHD attached to make it work like a DVR. Saves $10 that way.

Wow didn't know this was an option. Does this provide equivalent functionality to the 612? I use Dish Online alot with the DVRs to setup up timers. Is this supported?

Edited by Vasanth B, 16 June 2011 - 10:24 AM.
Added relevant quote

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:41 AM

612 has two sat tuners while 211 - one; not sure about DOnline feature - not using it for 211 DVR.

#9 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,371 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 12 June 2011 - 01:24 PM

OK. They have the 612 working pretty well compared to when I first got mine. I use mine mostly to supplement my 722's recording capability - it gives me 4 satellite tuners to record from.

With that said, I still encounter troubles when recording 2 HD streams while watching a recorded HD stream. IMHO the difference between the 612 and the 722 is similar to the difference between two computers:
  • One with a single core processor on a motherboard with built-in video and 2GB of shared RAM and a 5400 rpm hard drive - the 612.
  • One with a dual core processor on a motherboard with a separate video card using its own video processor supported by its own 512 mb of RAM and 4GB of RAM and a 7200 rpm hard drive - the 722.
They both work. But they "feel" different based on performance under certain circumstances. My 612 when recording two HD streams "feels" like it is always operating at maximum with no room for any deviation in input. Unfortunately, some deviation occurs occasionally.

Just one person's opinion based on three years living with both boxes.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#10 OFFLINE   Vasanth B

Vasanth B

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:28 AM

OK...
...They both work. But they "feel" different based on performance under certain circumstances. My 612 when recording two HD streams "feels" like it is always operating at maximum with no room for any deviation in input. Unfortunately, some deviation occurs occasionally.

Just one person's opinion based on three years living with both boxes.

Interesting. Well considering we have the 922 primary, it's a worthwhile downgrade to save the $7. The Dish tech is coming this afternoon in fact. I'll be interested to see the responsiveness of the unit. That being said, it's going to be our "backup timer" unit in case something happens to the recordings and timers on our 922. I'll post back here with my 612 experiences.

spam firewall