Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What's Up With This Board?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:23 PM

Maybe it's my imagination, but traffic seems waaaaayyyyyy down. I remember it being a lot busier here not too long ago. I know there are a couple of secret clubs here; maybe that's where people hang out. I'm sure a lot of people have been chased away for one reason or another, but it seems like there are only a handful of people posting recently.

I don't think it's a seasonal thing either since traffic on other boards is up. I keep hearing (seeing) reference to other boards but I'm not sure why. I'm aware of AVS and SatGuys but don't have any interest in those. Too many bullies at AVS and SatGuys seems too gaudy and overdecorated. Then there's the IP board recently spun off from here to which I ask --- Why? Why spilt the traffic off?

To be fair, I use the board options to block all of the DirecTV sections and a few others I have no interest in.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:17 AM

Maybe too much whining about signatures from the dbstalk app? ;)

#3 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:32 AM

Maybe it's my imagination, but traffic seems waaaaayyyyyy down. I remember it being a lot busier here not too long ago. I know there are a couple of secret clubs here; maybe that's where people hang out. I'm sure a lot of people have been chased away for one reason or another, but it seems like there are only a handful of people posting recently.

I don't think it's a seasonal thing either since traffic on other boards is up. I keep hearing (seeing) reference to other boards but I'm not sure why. I'm aware of AVS and SatGuys but don't have any interest in those. Too many bullies at AVS and SatGuys seems too gaudy and overdecorated. Then there's the IP board recently spun off from here to which I ask --- Why? Why spilt the traffic off?

To be fair, I use the board options to block all of the DirecTV sections and a few others I have no interest in.

I've relegated myself to reading more than posting lately due to incessant whining, trolling and brand bashing by a handful of members. Personally I think these types of posters have driven away the constructive participants.

Oh well. Work and family keep me busy enough.

#4 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:06 AM

Most of my posts were HD related. I finally realized I'm wasting my time posting. B*tching about the lack of basic HD doesn't help. You clearly point out the fact that DIRECTV is behind in basic HD. You then spend the next 10 posts fighting off the defenders of DIRECTV. It's just not worth it to me. As for the CE program, that has lost steam for me too. I can't think of one good reason why I need to help a multi billion dollar company for free, yet my rates continue to go up and the basic HD count stays the same. I still love DBSTALK.com! I'm just more of a reader now than a poster. As others pointed out, family comes first. I really down have time to live online anymore. Peace....

#5 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,717 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:17 AM

Are you saying posting is down or reading/visiting is down?

#6 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:20 AM

Boards have cycles. Right now there isn't much new with DirecTV or Dish at this moment. There are no major channel announcements, no new receivers, or no new technology being introduced, and there hasn't been in months. That limits things.

You want to see action? Wait until the HR34 is released. Then things will get busy.

In its place, we have nine pages on the AM21.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#7 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,537 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:32 AM

Good question. I actually think the overall level of discussion has improved over the past week or two, and the site is a much better "read", if you know what I mean. While I may not personally be posting as much, I'm spending more time than usual reading through other discussions I may not be involved in. Just me, tho. :P

Edited by Steve, 12 June 2011 - 05:16 AM.

/steve

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:33 AM

The traffic stats seem to be fairly level. I don't see a major dropoff in posting.

Roughly translated, I see the comment made as "I don't see much of interest lately" which is more of a personal viewpoint than a scientific one. There have been times on this and other (non satellite) boards where I would have made the same comment ... but checking statistics the board in question was stable or growing. Interests ebb and flow as well.

#9 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,667 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:34 AM

For many (not me unfortunately)....we've entered vacation season....so some dropoff is typical.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#10 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,974 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 01:24 PM

Boards have cycles. Right now there isn't much new with DirecTV or Dish at this moment.

You want to see action? Wait until the HR34 is released. Then things will get busy.

I think that is a lot of it as well.

Yep, they better get a bigger server. :)

#11 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 707 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:46 PM

Boards have cycles. Right now there isn't much new with DirecTV or Dish at this moment. There are no major channel announcements, no new receivers, or no new technology being introduced, and there hasn't been in months. That limits things.

Not to mention with the uncertainty of the NFL season, the wheeling and dealing hasn't commenced on NFL ST since CSR's can't really give deals when nothings being charged yet :lol:

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#12 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,176 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:50 PM

No New Features
No members hanging out.

JACK,

#13 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:05 AM

Pretty much what's been said above. It goes in cycles. When things are unsettled in the satellite world, people come here to find out what's going on. Right now things are quiet.

As far as the separate board for IPTV, that's not really a satellite type subject so splitting that off is no big deal. Now if we split Dish Network and DirecTV into separate boards, that would be an issue. :)

#14 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:34 AM

I've seen this place be deader, and certainly a lot busier. We're dependent on the providers to give us something to talk about. The biggest contributor on both the DIRECTV and Dish sides of the house is that honestly both software and hardware are much more stable. As a peer-assisting-peer group, our biggest traffic comes from those seeking our help.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#15 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:50 AM

As far as the separate board for IPTV, that's not really a satellite type subject so splitting that off is no big deal. Now if we split Dish Network and DirecTV into separate boards, that would be an issue. :)

Well, be that as it may, there are also some sections on OTA and other Tech and equipment areas here that aren't directly DBS related. I just REALLY don't like AVS and some of the people there (one in particular) and I was hoping for some more of that kind of traffic here. I was just getting into reading some of the IPTv stuff and Pbbbst it was gone (apologies to Gordie Tapp :sure: ).
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#16 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,736 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:53 PM

I figured it was summer and people spending more time outside. I'm sure things will pick up big time in the Fall. NFL (or talk of lack of), HR34, HDGUI on the DirecTV side. Don't know what Dish has in the works.

Until then, I'm good with helping people with problems.

#17 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:06 PM

they're posing this fall as a time for release XiP813/XiP110 ... sort of HR34/C30 setup

#18 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,249 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:11 AM

No posts last night cuz we were all watching the R debate on CNN -- NOT! :nono2:

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#19 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,537 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:31 AM

they're posing this fall as a time for release XiP813/XiP110 ... sort of HR34/C30 setup

Any details or speculation on the XiP813? I'm surprised there's no "anticipation thread" yet!
/steve

#20 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:41 AM

Any details or speculation on the XiP813? I'm surprised there's no "anticipation thread" yet!

After waiting for other receivers there is no guarantee that the year is right ... let alone the season. (Think new DirecTV Tivo.)

spam firewall