Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Best Remote Control?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MikeHorrocks

MikeHorrocks

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:36 AM

I have the VIP722. The remote controls provided do not have a master power on capability to turn on my audio, TV and the 722. I am currently using an Atlas 5 remote, to obtain the master power sequencing, but, it does not have the 30 second skip/forward feature. My wife is used to a simple remote, so I did not want to jump into some of these more complex Harmony remotes. Does anyone have an easy solution to get all of the features of the Dish provided remote plus a master power on feature? If I have to go to another remote, what is the simplest one out there? Thanks in advance,
Mike

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 07:39 PM

You can easily add any command under the sun to your atlas, including 30 sec skip. Press CBL, hold setup for 2 blinks, press 994, tap setup then 00172, press skip fwd (2 blinks for success). Repeat using 00204 and the skip back button for skip back. I can post any other codes you may want, like discrete on and off.

#3 OFFLINE   drjfjr

drjfjr

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 07:40 PM

I love my Harmony. My wife is happy and all is good. There is a reason they named them Harmony remotes

#4 OFFLINE   saberfly

saberfly

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:20 PM

I have the 722K remotes with learning function. They work great. Mine is set up to turn on surround receiver, tv, 722, and DVD. The learn is VERY easy.

#5 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:21 PM

As you can see from my signature, I have JP1 remotes like your atlas as well as harmony. I love harmony as well, but you can get most of the functionality of a harmony from your atlas, especially if you buy an interface cable for it. Then you can program your atlas from a PC just like harmony, including activity macros, redefine the keyboard, add delays, new devices, etc. The only thing missing is the LCD for additional functions. We address that problem in the JP1 world by adding the ability to assign up to 5 functions per button per device mode.

#6 OFFLINE   MikeHorrocks

MikeHorrocks

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:58 AM

I have the 722K remotes with learning function. They work great. Mine is set up to turn on surround receiver, tv, 722, and DVD. The learn is VERY easy.

Please expand on your reply. Do your components all turn on and off with the push of one button? If so, please provide details on how you did it. Thanks.

#7 OFFLINE   MikeHorrocks

MikeHorrocks

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:15 AM

You can easily add any command under the sun to your atlas, including 30 sec skip. Press CBL, hold setup for 2 blinks, press 994, tap setup then 00172, press skip fwd (2 blinks for success). Repeat using 00204 and the skip back button for skip back. I can post any other codes you may want, like discrete on and off.

I used the Music button and it works great. Thanks.

getattachment.do.gif

Edited by MikeHorrocks, 13 June 2011 - 07:22 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:30 AM

You're welcome. I'm sure saberfly can control all his components fine with the Dish remote. But you are correct that the Dish remote cannot do macros.

There's another trick you can use on your atlas. You can assign a second function to the same button. So you could put skip back on shift-Music. So pressing Music would skip forward, and pressing setup-Music (where setup acts as a shift key) would skip back. To do that, follow the same programming steps as before, but tap setup then Music instead of just pressing Music.

#9 OFFLINE   MikeHorrocks

MikeHorrocks

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:11 AM

mdavej, the only remaining thing I would like to change on my Atlas 5 remote is the master power sequencing time. It takes too long to complete. As a result, my wife sometimes puts the remote down before the last component is turned off. Is there any way to shorten the time between component power cycling on the master power? Thanks.

#10 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:01 PM

You can't really change the timing without a JP1 cable. But you can remove unwanted commands. First clear the master power macro by holding setup for 2 blinks, 995, master power, hold setup for 2 blinks. Now program it so it only includes tv, cbl and aud. Hold setup for 2 blinks, 995, master power, tv, power, cbl, power, aud, power, cbl, hold setup for 2 blinks.

I prefer to have only a master power off macro plus several activity macros. For example, I put "watch tv" on shift-A which contains tv discrete on, dish discrete on, audio discrete on, DVR input on TV and DVR input on receiver. If I move and miss something, I can just run it again. Since I use discretes, nothing will toggle back off. My master off macro is on another button and consists only of tv off, dish off and audio off. If you want to do something like that, post your tv and receiver models so I can give you the correct codes.

If you get a JP1 cable you can put macros on the device keys (or shifted device keys) and run your macros extremely fast (0.007 seconds per command). See the JP1 Wiki for details.

#11 OFFLINE   MikeHorrocks

MikeHorrocks

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:12 PM

If I get a JP1 cable (by the way, where is the best place to purchase?) can I reprogram my Master Power button for faster turn on and off or do I need to use another button?

#12 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:18 PM

No doubt about it, the Harmony One is an excellent remote.

#13 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:42 PM

If I get a JP1 cable (by the way, where is the best place to purchase?) can I reprogram my Master Power button for faster turn on and off or do I need to use another button?

I think you can use the master power button, but I'll test later today to make sure. I should have an Atlas 5 lying around somewhere. Tommy Tyler's cables are the best by far, but the most expensive. Cheaper ones are available from DIYGadget if you have a serial port. There are a couple of different types, all of which are incompatible with each other. You need a "JP1.3" cable. Please follow THIS procedure for signature blink back and post the results so I can be certain. Going by the picture, your signature is probably 1025, 3000, 3032 or 3033. The 3xxx series have twice the memory of the older 1025.

#14 OFFLINE   MikeHorrocks

MikeHorrocks

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:41 PM

I think you can use the master power button, but I'll test later today to make sure. I should have an Atlas 5 lying around somewhere. Tommy Tyler's cables are the best by far, but the most expensive. Cheaper ones are available from DIYGadget if you have a serial port. There are a couple of different types, all of which are incompatible with each other. You need a "JP1.3" cable. Please follow THIS procedure for signature blink back and post the results so I can be certain. Going by the picture, your signature is probably 1025, 3000, 3032 or 3033. The 3xxx series have twice the memory of the older 1025.

Signature blink back is 3033

#15 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:55 PM

OK, I tested my atlas. With a cable I can put any macro I want on the power button, but it only executes in CBL mode (same behavior as without the cable). It executes at about 2/3 of a sec per command (normal speed). Loading the OS with fast macros (in the wiki that's called an "extender"), I can also put any macro on the power button. In that case they can execute in whatever mode I choose and at around 12 commands per second. That accounts for a quarter second delay between commands for normal speed and 0.007 sec between commands for fast speed.

If you get a cable, you need the JP1.3 version.

Edited by mdavej, 13 June 2011 - 08:08 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   MikeHorrocks

MikeHorrocks

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:05 PM

OK, I tested my atlas. With a cable I can put any macro I want on the power button, but it only executes in CBL mode (same behavior as without the cable). It executes at about 2/3 of a sec per command (normal speed). Loading the OS with fast macros (in the wiki that's called an "extender"), I can also put any macro on the power button. In that case they can execute in whatever mode I choose and at around 12 commands per second. That accounts for a quarter second delay between commands for normal speed and 0.007 sec between commands for fast speed.

You definitely need a JP1.3 cable.

I am not sure I fully understand. I am ordering a JP1.3 cable. I think you are saying that I have to change the macro OS and then I can get what I want.

#17 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:15 PM

Yes, that's correct. But it's no big deal. We've written some code that takes over the remote's OS to give you fast macro capability (and lots of other cool features). I run it on all my remotes. You can always easily revert back at any time. Otherwise your macros will run at normal speed. In any case, the cable will give you the ability to fully program your remote from a computer. When you get the cable, post over at the forums at hifi-remote.com and we'll walk you through the whole process.

#18 OFFLINE   MikeHorrocks

MikeHorrocks

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:59 PM

Yes, that's correct. But it's no big deal. We've written some code that takes over the remote's OS to give you fast macro capability (and lots of other cool features). I run it on all my remotes. You can always easily revert back at any time. Otherwise your macros will run at normal speed. In any case, the cable will give you the ability to fully program your remote from a computer. When you get the cable, post over at the forums at hifi-remote.com and we'll walk you through the whole process.

Thanks, will do.

#19 OFFLINE   saberfly

saberfly

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:07 PM

Please expand on your reply. Do your components all turn on and off with the push of one button? If so, please provide details on how you did it. Thanks.

No im sorry i didnt see that. It dosent have macro function.

#20 OFFLINE   MikeHorrocks

MikeHorrocks

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:39 PM

I put a note in the hfi-remote forum under new user. I got the cable today. Thanks.

spam firewall