Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Best Remote Control?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:41 AM

No doubt about it, the Harmony One is an excellent remote.

So is the Harmony 300i(controls 4 items,USB internet programmable. ) and for $29.99 from Target or WalMart it's a winner.:)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:43 AM

I love my Harmony. My wife is happy and all is good. There is a reason they named them Harmony remotes

AMEN!.+1.;):D

#23 OFFLINE   apinkel

apinkel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:54 AM

I had a JP1 remote back in the day. You can do about anything with them and for very little cash, plus they tend to have great battery life since most of them don't have an lcd to drive.

However, I've switched to harmony remotes simply because I think they are easier for the end-user to use since most of the remotes have dedicated buttons for activies and an lcd screen for the less often used buttons.

I've got a Harmony 670 but if I were going to buy one now it would probably be the 650 (around $70 on amazon). If you've got the cash the Harmony one is a great remote... I set one up for a friend. It's nice.

#24 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:44 PM

So is the Harmony 300i(controls 4 items,USB internet programmable. ) and for $29.99 from Target or WalMart it's a winner.:)

I generally like harmony, but I have to disagree about the 300. It's a much less powerful remote than ones half that price. It can only do one activity and no macros. Your average $15 remote can do practically unlimited activities (macros). Unless you have a very simple system (tv and sat or cable box only), it's best to avoid the 300. Many used and refurbished harmonys can be found for a similar price and are much more powerful.

#25 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:24 AM

I generally like harmony, but I have to disagree about the 300. It's a much less powerful remote than ones half that price. It can only do one activity and no macros. Your average $15 remote can do practically unlimited activities (macros). Unless you have a very simple system (tv and sat or cable box only), it's best to avoid the 300. Many used and refurbished harmonys can be found for a similar price and are much more powerful.

Interesting as I for years have bought the average $15. remote and always found out it would not work for all of the commands,so I felt like I just wasted my money( plus there is a bunch of those in my desk that I sell at yard sales).

I don't care what remote anyone gets,but they should definitely get one that's internet upgrade capable and teach able like a Harmony.These $200. remote controls to me are a waste of money,but if you have the funds,to each his own.As I have not found any problems yet with my Harmony 300i especially the price($29.99) and it is the first Harmony remote I have ever tried.All I can report is,it works for me.:)

P.S. I also like to be able to turn on(and off) my HDTV,722k,and Polk Soundbar with Wireless Subwoofer with the pressing down of one button,Watch TV.:D

#26 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:38 PM

Cheap remotes that do volume punch thru and a few macros are pretty common. True many don't have a complete function set, but $15 one-for-all remotes are unique on the low end of the market in that they can be programmed to control absolutely every function of every device with individual function codes. They can also be programmed from a computer, and do volume punch thru, turn everything on with the press of a button, and all that other stuff the 300 does. The difference is the cheap remote can do 2 or more macros. The 300 can only do one. I'm glad you're happy, but if you add a disc player or other device, you won't be able to add a "watch DVD" activity or any other activity for that matter.

For example, my $15 remote (for which I actually paid $1 on clearance) runs circles around harmony. I have over 30 macros in addition to "watch tv". One is a 9 step macro to toggle captions on my 722k. That's impossible on even the top-of-the-line $250 harmony 900. I've added functions that aren't in the harmony database, like discrete PIP side-by-side. I also have 12 devices on my cheap remote, which is impossible on the 300.

Even after the OP got a JP1 programming cable for his remote, his macros are now running faster than any harmony could ever run them (around 10 per second, depending on the complexity of the protocol), and his remote cost $0.

So all I'm saying is the 300 has some limitations like the single macro thing that some may want to watch out for, and that cheaper remotes can be quite capable. Some have many capabilities that not many people are aware of. I hope this thread can open their eyes a little.

#27 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:31 PM

Hmmm... I use my 722k Dish remote model 20.0 IR to control TV, Sony surround sound and 722k. 4 button pushes turns everything on (AUX, TV, POWER, SAT).
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#28 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 03:41 PM

That's three too (not to) many button pushes than (not then) some folks are willing to do.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#29 OFFLINE   apinkel

apinkel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:24 AM

The JP1 compatible remotes (mfrd by Universal Electronics Inc.) are incredibly powerful remotes given their low prices. I could do everything on a $15 remote I bought at radio shack that I can do on my Harmony. Some of them also have really nice in hand feel with incredible battery life. I'd recommend them above something like the harmony 300.

My only real complaint with the JP1 remotes was the fact that there was no LCD screen that displayed the name of the special functions I'd programmed into various hard buttons on the remote (like there is on the better harmony remotes). I knew what all the buttons did on my JP1 remote because I programmed them but if someone else picked up the remote I would have to tell them what macros were programmed to what keys.

Edited by apinkel, 18 July 2011 - 08:41 AM.

#30 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:03 AM

Hmmm... I use my 722k Dish remote model 20.0 IR to control TV, Sony surround sound and 722k. 4 button pushes turns everything on (AUX, TV, POWER, SAT).

Yes I still keep my 20.0 available because the buttons are larger than the Harmony 300i that to me is a plus.So it all comes down to how I feel today,1 button press,or 4?.;):D

spam firewall