Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Overheating?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:53 AM

Anyone else out there having overheating problems since the 0x4a6 software update? I've had it twice. The first time when I turned on the TV I got the message my box was at 144 degrees and the max safe temp was 140 so it was going to cool down. This morning when I tried to turn on the system it wouldn't come on at all. I eventually had to do a RBR to get it to start up and the same message and results came back on the screen. The unit is in an enclosed cabinet and has been for over two years with no previous problems!

Just wondering if this could be a system software problem or if my receiver is actually getting ready to go out. I have an HR23-700. Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,537 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:16 AM

Anyone else out there having overheating problems since the 0x4a6 software update? I've had it twice. The first time when I turned on the TV I got the message my box was at 144 degrees and the max safe temp was 140 so it was going to cool down. This morning when I tried to turn on the system it wouldn't come on at all. I eventually had to do a RBR to get it to start up and the same message and results came back on the screen. The unit is in an enclosed cabinet and has been for over two years with no previous problems!

Just wondering if this could be a system software problem or if my receiver is actually getting ready to go out. I have an HR23-700. Thanks.

HR22-100 owner. Operating temps on my receiver have always been in the mid to high nineties even after the 0x4a6 update. Sounds like your receiver may have a problem. Give DirecTV a call and ask to speak with a technician (not a CSR) and explain your situation.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:24 AM

I haven't heard of any other temp issues with the current NR. You should probably call DirecTV on this one.

BTW, I’m moving this to the HD DVR/Receiver forum.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#4 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:39 AM

I had the same issue with one of my HR24 boxes a few weeks back. D* replaced it very quickly. :)

#5 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,212 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:15 AM

My HR20 temperature reading is now 127 degrees, up from 120 a couple months ago. It sits on an open platform. Only problem I've noticed is losing TV Apps twice in the last two weeks. A reset fixed that the first time. Haven't tried to fix that again yet.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#6 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:27 AM

Over heating is often tied to a hard driven the verge of giving out. I would call DTV for a replacement.

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:30 AM

I haven't heard anything else about overheating in this firmware. It's possible your drive is just getting ready to fail.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:26 PM

Add one of these:

http://www.amazon.co...&pf_rd_i=507846

With one of these:

http://www.amazon.co...&pf_rd_i=507846

And Increase your Drive space--plug and play :D
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#9 OFFLINE   cking2020

cking2020

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:39 PM

I had the same issue on my HR24 a day after SW update. Seems like the fan was no longer working. Got a replacement in about 2 days. I was able use it until replaced by blowing an external fan on the receiver. This gave me a couple of days to watch some recorded shows, and make sure I knew what I would need to setup to record on the new receiver when received.

#10 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:40 PM

I've already got a 2TB that I swapped out with the original HD that came with the unit. Maybe it's going bad? I'm not very technical so could you please tell me what the Thermaltake will do and how to use it? Thanks again.

#11 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:56 PM

I've already got a 2TB that I swapped out with the original HD that came with the unit. Maybe it's going bad? I'm not very technical so could you please tell me what the Thermaltake will do and how to use it? Thanks again.

Instead of a housing for the disk-it's a slot you jam the disk into and connect it to your PC -Usb or estata cable to your DVR,
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#12 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:09 PM

Thanks West. Just ordered a new HD (just in case) and the Thermaltake.

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:52 AM

Thanks West. Just ordered a new HD (just in case) and the Thermaltake.

I think the Thermaltake docking station is the best solution for an external HDD at the moment. Easy to install, the only thing you have to worry about is putting the HDD in the correct way. With a WD drive the label on the drive will be facing you and you will be able to read the label. If you use a Seagate drive (mistake, don't do that) the label will be facing you and be upside down.

Don't "jam" the HDD into the slot. Look into the TT, just put your finger on the flap and push down and you'll see the way it should go in. If you put it in the wrong way, you might damage the connectors. And put it in gently, you'll feel it fit into the connectors.

Rich

#14 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:21 AM

"Jam" Meant place it gently in the slot-Just like measure twice,Cut once and then beat to fit :D
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#15 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:51 PM

"Jam" Meant place it gently in the slot-Just like measure twice,Cut once and then beat to fit :D

Thing is it's a polarized device and the HDD can only be fitted in in one direction. I found that out the hard way.

Rich

#16 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:18 PM

Thanks guys. I only ordered the 1TB WD drive. I've had a 2TB for quite awhile now and I've never had it above about 15% full so I figured I'd save a buck and be more sensible! I know there are plenty here that tape all kinds of sporting events and in that case I guess the 2TB would be a better fit. Appreciate all the help.

#17 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:24 PM

Just thought of one more thing. Having my AM21 hooked up to the HR23 isn't going to effect the ability to hook up the Thermaltake is it? I know, I've already admitted I'm technically challenged! LOL. As always, thanks again.

#18 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:30 PM

They coexist just fien.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#19 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:44 PM

Nope, the AM21 hooks up over USB, the hard drives have to use the eSATA port.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#20 ONLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,498 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:37 PM

..., just put your finger on the flap and push down and you'll see the way it should go in. If you put it in the wrong way, you might damage the connectors. And put it in gently, you'll feel it fit into the connectors.

Rich

That's what she said.:)

Amazon has nice prices on the Thermaltake, with one slot and two slot models available.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

spam firewall