Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Coaxial A/B Switch

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:50 AM

I bought a Samsung UN22D5000 two days ago to replace a Samsung LNT1953H TV/Computer monitor. The older one has two F connectors for coaxial cable, but the newer one has only one. Because I like to have both an over the air antenna and DISH network, I need twin coaxial cables. I bought a cheap Philips A/B this weekend and found it to be very lossy. Some much so that when I connected either cable by itself everything was fine, but simply adding that switch and a short 3 foot run of RG-6 the over the air channels pixelate. I suppose it could be the patch cable or the switch. At any rate I am know wondering if all A/B switches are created equally, or if some are more lossy than others. And, if that is the case, what are some better switches that won't lose as much signal?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,890 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:58 PM

Perhaps OTA/dish splitter would work for you, no need to push buttons ...

#3 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:20 PM

That is a good point. By any chance do you have a part number or URL?

#4 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:16 AM

I believe something like THIS is what P Smith is talking about.

#5 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:13 PM

The real solution is to connect only the antenna to the coax port on the TV, and to use line-level patch cables to connect the Dish receiver to the TV. I'm going to assume that you have a standard-def receiver, and if so, you'll need some composite video/stereo audio cables, like this:

http://columbiaisa.a...osite_video.jpe

These will give you better picture and audio quality than coax can.

If you actually have an HD receiver, then you'd be better off with an HDMI cable, or a set of component video cables:

Posted Image
HDMI - digital HD video and digital audio, including surround sound, all in one cable.

Posted Image
Component (red, green, blue for video, white and red for stereo audio)

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#6 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:25 PM

Now that I've actually read the original post, why, Jim148, would you feed such a terrible signal to such a nice new HDTV? The proper solution would be to upgrade to an HD receiver with integrated OTA and connect that via HDMI to your new TV. The last 211k I got was only $50 and looks fantastic on a small screen like yours and has OTA built in. It's also a DVR with no monthly fee if you add your own hard drive. You can nickel and dime and get $20 worth of cables/splitters/diplexers and still end up with a crappy looking, complicated setup, or get a proper receiver for a little more. I don't know your current setup, but Sling is another, possibly free solution.

#7 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:30 PM

I am sorry that I didn't explain this in more detail in my original post. I have a Panasonic 42" plasma that is my primary TV1 for my 722k. I also run coaxial cable throughout the home for viewing through the 722k. While I guess I could go with cables like that throughout the house, I have just stuck with RF6, since that is what the DISH Network installer used originally for TV2. In the case of this specific TV, I actually use it primarily as a computer monitor, but I also watch TV at the same time through the PIP (Picture In Picture) function. On the Samsung LNT1953H, the PIP will only work when the main screen in selected through VGA for the computer and the PIP is viewing through the internal NTSC tuner. (I point that out because just last night I added a new video card to another computer in the house that is also connected to a Samsung LNT1953H. I tried the PIP function, but no go. I then realized that when the computer is connected via HDMI, the PIP function will not work.)

On my newest Samsung UN22D5000, the ATSC tuner will work in the PIP mode when the computer is connected through a VGA cable. Now I just have to find out if that function will also work when the computer is connected through either DVI and/or HDMI!

#8 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:26 AM

So if I understand your setup correctly, your intent is to watch Dish and OTA on your computer monitor which just happens to be a TV. Then the free Sling adapter connected to your 722k will give you access to everything on your DVR, including OTA. No need to settle for SD, and no need for additional cables or tuner cards. That's how I view my Sat content from my 722k on any computer anywhere in the world. Just call Dish and they will give you an adapter for free.

Edited by mdavej, 16 June 2011 - 12:16 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:49 PM

So if I understand your setup correctly, your intent is to watch Dish and OTA on your computer monitor which just happens to be a TV. Then the free Sling adapter connected to your 722k will give you access to everything on your DVR, including OTA. No need to settle for SD, and no need for additional cables or tuner cards. That's how I view my Sat content from my 722k on any computer anywhere in the world. Just call Dish and they will give you an adapter for free.

Actually, I do have a DISH Sling adapter, but mine wasn't free. I bought mine last fall before that deal was offered. The rest would be fine, except that I live with three others in the house. Both of my sons and my wife also watch DISH, thus the reason for having the option for both DISH and Over The Air. Probably the vast majority of the time I will tune in Cable Channel 73 for TV 1 content or Cable Channel 93 for TV2 content. However, there are times when my wife is watching something on TV 1 and my sons are watching TV 2, but neither are programs that interest me. Thus my desire to still have over the air. The other issue with using DISH Sling Adapter is only one device at a time can connect to that. For example, I have an Android phone and when use DISH Remote Access it preempts other viewers of TV2 content.

The other route I may go eventually is moving the Samsung UN22D5000 upstairs and connecting it to the newest and fastest computer in the house. I may also buy a second Samsung UN22D5000 and run dual monitors in that room. I just added a video card two night ago, which would allow me to run two monitors. Then I can connect the over the air coaxial cable to one and the DISH coaxial to the other and not even need an A/B switch. Again, the majority of the time I would simply be watching through the 722k receiver, but since the Samsung UN22D5000 allows ATSC on the PIP function, if I am watching a local channel I would prefer to watch it via the tuner rather than the DISH 722k.

Edited by Jim148, 16 June 2011 - 01:54 PM.
Details

Protected By... spam firewall...And...