Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Superstations

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CarolinaGuy79

CarolinaGuy79

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:56 AM

Does anyone here still subscribes to the Superstations and if so why? I get all the Superstations even though I get all my locals cause I like watching the news in other states, I mean I will watch WGN just for the Chicago news, so I was just woundering why everyone else has the Superstations if they do.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:58 AM

Does anyone here still subscribes to the Superstations and if so why? I get all the Superstations even though I get all my locals cause I like watching the news in other states, I mean I will watch WGN just for the Chicago news, so I was just woundering why everyone else has the Superstations if they do.

I used to when I was with E*. There is not a CW affiliate here. Heck back when I was with E* they were UPN and WB. I subbed to both of them. Dont forget that not all markets have a full compliment of locals.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#3 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:53 PM

I did - until the WB / UPN local affiliates were available on Dish. Since then - I haven't seen the need.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#4 OFFLINE   levibluewa

levibluewa

Icon

• Registered
  • 607 posts
  • LocationWA, OR, CA

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:21 PM

I use to, it was the reason I switched from Directv years ago. Dropped them last year because we weren't given the HD feed. If they ever offer us the HD feeds I would probably add them back.

#5 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:23 PM

Have had them since the first day they were available. Still watch for news and few programs they have that my locals do not. Worth the $7 for me.

#6 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:58 PM

For me the big reason to have them was conflict resolution. Having the shows available at an earlier or later time meant I didn't have to choose which to miss. Now that CW is in HD OTA here, I can record those shows on the 3rd tuner for the same effect so I no longer subscribe.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#7 OFFLINE   Ohioankev

Ohioankev

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:32 PM

I had the superstation package up until about two months ago. I do not watch My NetworkTV and WSBK (formerly UPN38) is basically just another syndication/independent station. I dropped the package and kept KWGN & KTLA for $4/month instead of the $7 for the package, saving myself $36 a year.

#8 OFFLINE   PeggyD

PeggyD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:49 PM

I got the whole package when I first got Dish Network in September, 1998, mostly because KTLA carried many Dodger games. I dropped them a few years later, but have since re-added just KTLA. I grew up in Southern California & still have a lot of family there, so I like to watch the LA news occasionally. And KTLA has the best Tournament of Roses Parade coverage.

#9 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:33 PM

At one point. could watch Red Sox, Rockies and Dodgers on them. If they were HD, I might consider them, without baseball or HD, not really worth it to me.

#10 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 826 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:00 AM

WGN often prempts CW programming for sports. Never sure when they'll get around to broadcasting the CW program - sometimes late at night, sometimes days later - so Superstations provide an alternative. Do watch some other programs on Superstations but that's probably the main use. The other is time shifting when we forget to set a DVR timer and catch the program later or when there are too many programs we want to watch at the same time to record them all.

#11 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Registered
  • 575 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:18 AM

I would subscribe to WPIX if it were offered in HD for the sake of my wife. Our CW affiliate in Jackson, MS, WRBJ, has marginal SD picture quality. Watching The Vampire Diaries is awful, as items in the darker scenes can't be seen. Viewing the same scene on their website looks normal.

As far as I know, there are no plans for WRBJ to go HD. They have even taken down their website and facebook presence. I suspect this was because they got tired of being asked when they're going to broadcast in HD. They brought the station online in 2006, so I don't know why they didn't just go ahead and make it HD initially. I think that the decision was pathetic and short-sighted by management.

#12 OFFLINE   PeggyD

PeggyD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:53 PM

At one point. could watch Red Sox, Rockies and Dodgers on them. If they were HD, I might consider them, without baseball or HD, not really worth it to me.

The Dodgers moved from KTLA & the Rockies from KWGN several years ago. I don't know about the Red Sox.

#13 OFFLINE   kc1ih

kc1ih

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:15 PM

The talk around Boston is that the MyTV network is going to WSBK.

#14 OFFLINE   Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis

Godfather

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:57 PM

I subscribe mostly to see the New York, LA, Boston, and Denver newscasts. (I work in news so I'm not quite a typical viewer. Also get ABC & FOX from San Francisco and New York on waivers through All American Direct.) Having them is kind of like taking a brief trip out of town by turning on the TV!

Even if you're not interested in out-of-town news, it's still nice to have the SuperStations since shows are on at different times than they are on your local stations. Then you have more options at any given time. It's a lot easier than DVR'ing every show you might possibly want to watch. And for those concerned about them being CW or MNT affiliates, CW is only on the air for 4 hours a day and MNT only 2 hours!

#15 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:30 PM

If you are in the spotbeam coverage area, WWOR is now available in HD to superstation subscribers. It isn't mapped down, so only available at 6307 from 61.5 satellite.

Unknown if it will stay available to superstation subs (who are in the spotbeam) or if it is a mistake. Also, someone pointed out it really should be at 6305, so it might move there eventually.

#16 OFFLINE   wbowery

wbowery

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:22 AM

We have had the Superstations for a long time. Mainly watch it of news from big cities around the country and to see old sitcoms. I check the Boston station in the fall for interesting ACC football games not on other channels.

#17 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:42 AM

If you are in the spotbeam coverage area, WWOR is now available in HD to superstation subscribers. It isn't mapped down, so only available at 6307 from 61.5 satellite.

Unknown if it will stay available to superstation subs (who are in the spotbeam) or if it is a mistake. Also, someone pointed out it really should be at 6305, so it might move there eventually.

It is now available in HD to the NYC local subscribers (just like WPIX. 63xx are for NYC locals only). I would not expect it be made available to Superstation subscribers.

#18 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:49 AM

It is now available in HD to the NYC local subscribers (just like WPIX. 63xx are for NYC locals only). I would not expect it be made available to Superstation subscribers.

But it is. :)

#19 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:02 AM

But it is. :)

In HD?

#20 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:41 PM

Yes in HD. If you are in the spotbeam coverage for NY, channel 6307 is available in HD if you get WWOR as a superstation. It is not at 238 with the SD version, only at 6307.
I am not in the NY DMA, I do not get WWOR as a network channel, the only way I get WWOR is via superstations. They turned HD on yesterday.
But it is not on CONUS, so you have to be within the spotbeam range to get it. I am in Eastern Ct and get a signal from the spotbeam. I would not get it in Florida if I was at that home, too far from the spotbeam.

Edited by tampa8, 17 June 2011 - 01:45 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...