Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv Android App

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,411 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:55 PM

One other thing I noticed, the text and graphics do not scale to the Android tablets. So you get itty-bitty (sometimes off-center) graphics with tiny text.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   mcalistor

mcalistor

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:33 PM

Not sure if this has been discussed already...

I tried both this app and another paid app by justinj. Neither app lets me view a recording from a different receiver (i.e. whole home viewing). I have recordings on three different receivers and it seems like I'm never in front of the right TV to use these apps. Sticking with the free versions until it gets sorted out.

Otherwise, I think these apps are great. The one from justinj is only .99 right now but it doesn't look as good as the one from dfw.

One other thing, the free version from justinj has "currently on". I like that I can see what my kids are watching. Better yet, it's fun to switch the channels on them once in a while :)

#23 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:06 PM

The dfw app let's me watch whatever is on the playlist. I am not sure what it is that you can't watch.

#24 OFFLINE   Fluthy

Fluthy

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:29 AM

In the market for a tablet and have been leaning towards the Android tablets. Has their been any update on a DirecTV app for Android like the Ipad has?

#25 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,099 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:01 AM

In the market for a tablet and have been leaning towards the Android tablets. Has their been any update on a DirecTV app for Android like the Ipad has?

I use the Android version of the DirecTV app on the ASUS Transformer Android tablet - works very well. They did a pretty nice job with it, and its actually much faster that the Blackberry phone app I used to use...especially for ordering remote scheduling on DVRs.

There are actually 3 Android apps for DirecTV...1 is the remote scheduler app, another the remote control app, and the 3rd is the Sunday ticket mobile app.

https://market.andro...e=search_result

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#26 OFFLINE   rphillips187

rphillips187

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:26 PM

The DTV app is great and all but, as far as the Android version is concerned, it's still a leap behind the E* app. I'm looking forward to D* expanding it so I can view and edit my DVR playlist and TO DO list. The integrated remote control that E* has in their app is a nice touch too.

#27 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,106 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:32 PM

The DTV app is great and all but, as far as the Android version is concerned, it's still a leap behind the E* app. I'm looking forward to D* expanding it so I can view and edit my DVR playlist and TO DO list. The integrated remote control that E* has in their app is a nice touch too.

Have you looked at Wired DFW Software's Directv Remote Pro app?

#28 OFFLINE   rphillips187

rphillips187

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:16 PM

Have you looked at Wired DFW Software's Directv Remote Pro app?

I actually haven't as I'm not usually that trusting of third-party apps but I've heard good things about it. I may just check it out!

#29 OFFLINE   PolishPoet

PolishPoet

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:21 AM

What you're saying doesn't make any sense to me. Data is data, and wifi is going to be much faster than 3G in almost every case (VZW 4G LTE notwithstanding). I can see no circumstance where 3G would be required for any feature.

Unless maybe if someone home network is still on b (heaven help them), then even with the speeds on Verizon's 4G network the lag (distances involved - times as small as they may be) WIFI will be always be faster.

Edited by PolishPoet, 25 September 2011 - 09:27 AM.

HR24-200 / HDMI thru Mtsubishi DCS-1000 to Samsung 61A750 RPTV / Harmony 700 Remote / Optical to Denon Receiver

HR24-200 / HDMI to LG LCD MRV

#30 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:06 AM

dont expect this until they update the app for tablets. the fact that they still have just an iPad app and not one for Android is very poor. too many apple fanboys atop at DirecTV to realize that Android is overtaking market share from Apple in droves.

Dont give me the fragmentation reasoning for not having it right now as that doesn't cut it.

BUT, given the time frame for them to come out with a android DirecTV app after the Apple one it looks like 9mo. roughly is what we can expect to wait. Now I'm sure the fragmentation back then played a lil larger part into the decision to wait longer and it might be less time now but thats just what I'm going on to set expectations.
so with that said it looks like we might wait till Novemberish to see firstlook for it based on those rough estimations.

#31 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,907 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:46 AM

DIRECTV Android app updated:

https://market.andro...tv.dvrscheduler
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#32 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,411 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:40 AM

Odd, I cannot start a VOD download using the Android App. I'm getting the following message when I try to start the download.

DIRECTV Application encountered Technical Difficulty. Please Try again...

#33 OFFLINE   texz71

texz71

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:02 AM

Has anyone had any issues with the Android (or other PC type) remote apps not recognizing all DVR's on your network?

I have QTY 4 HR23's and they all see each other just fine. They all have unique NAMES set in Whole Home DVR. All have static IP addresses and manual Ports (with router set to properly forward ports) and all appear in Tversity and Win7 just fine...however 2 of the DVR's just do not get found (even with a manual search by IP address) by any of the Android apps. I've tried reseting up network parameters, rebooting, re-running Network Services, etc...and I just can not get them to be found.

I've tried all available Android Remote apps, and the same problem happens with all of them. I do have to say I prefer Cognitial Mobile's DirecTv Remote app.
Setup:
- QTY 4 HR23-700's w/ SWM-8
- QTY 2 Linksys WRT-54GS w/ DD-WRT v24 pre-SP2.

#34 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:05 AM

Has anyone had any issues with the Android (or other PC type) remote apps not recognizing all DVR's on your network?

I have QTY 4 HR23's and they all see each other just fine. They all have unique NAMES set in Whole Home DVR. All have static IP addresses and manual Ports (with router set to properly forward ports) and all appear in Tversity and Win7 just fine...however 2 of the DVR's just do not get found (even with a manual search by IP address) by any of the Android apps. I've tried reseting up network parameters, rebooting, re-running Network Services, etc...and I just can not get them to be found.

I've tried all available Android Remote apps, and the same problem happens with all of them. I do have to say I prefer Cognitial Mobile's DirecTv Remote app.

From the physical remote: Menu>parentals/fav/setup>settings>whole-home>external devices, make sure everything is set to allow (three options)

Do this to all DVR's but more specificly the two that aren't showing up on the app.

Then go to the app and manually search for the DVR's again.

Report back.... LOL kidding.

Edited by webby_s, 18 October 2011 - 07:11 AM.

SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16
HR34-700 -->52" Sharp Aquos LED
H25-100 -->32" Philips Master BD
HR21-100 -->19" Vizio LED Kitchen,
HR24-500 --> 50" Panasonic DLP
Hockey is not a sport in Minnesota, it is life.

#35 OFFLINE   MidgetMe

MidgetMe

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:50 AM

Personally I wonder (also hope) if perhaps they will look into bringing a version of the android app to use on Google TV, allowing for actual control of receivers like I believe the ipad has, rather simulated integration by way of IR code control. Show recording, DVR browsing and management... before the iPad app got that amazing update (no not the live tv update, I'm talking about in app DVR control, cause that blew my mind moreso than streaming tv) I'd been questioning if anyone other than DISH would have a method for DVR integration. I've had Google TV (Logitech Revue) since last December, and I've been waiting for two things. 1, Google TV app store. 2, DirecTV Google TV app. With no hints from Google or DirecTV on when my biggest wish might be granted for almost a year, I'd nearly given up hope and was thinking about maybe switching to Dish for the Google TV integration (Yes I know that's a sad statement on how big a Google fanboy I am, but I'm a huge sucker for a Home theater that allows for all devices to communicate to one another). To think Apple was where I found hope for Android and DirecTV.

Anyway, TLDR looking forward to the future of Android and DirecTV, whenever it may finally come around.

#36 OFFLINE   lincolnnellie

lincolnnellie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:09 PM

They really need to kick the android development into high gear. Market share is increasing in huge numbers every month. The kindle fire will be another game changer and people will no longer be able to ignore android tablets for ipad device consisting of a screen of apps.

#37 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 868 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:18 PM

They really need to kick the android development into high gear. Market share is increasing in huge numbers every month. The kindle fire will be another game changer and people will no longer be able to ignore android tablets for ipad device consisting of a screen of apps.

The Fire isn't running a tablet OS, its running Froyo or Gingerbread. The Fire will make Android fragmentation worse, as will the new Nook that BN is releasing tomorrow.

I would like to see DirecTV release a Honeycomb/ICS version of the iPad app as its one of the things that keeps me from ditching my iPad, but don't expect it to run on every Android "tablet".

#38 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,099 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:16 AM

The Fire isn't running a tablet OS, its running Froyo or Gingerbread. The Fire will make Android fragmentation worse, as will the new Nook that BN is releasing tomorrow.

I would like to see DirecTV release a Honeycomb/ICS version of the iPad app as its one of the things that keeps me from ditching my iPad, but don't expect it to run on every Android "tablet".

The Kindle Fire is running its own custom version of Gingerbread...and will be upgraded to ICE too supposedly, if rumors are correct.

Even if so, their version of the OS will always be unique to them, which is OK, since these are really fancy book readers, despite the marketing hype on them being more. Their size precludes them from being true "tablets", but they do well as readers.

The Android app is working just fine with the latest (v3.2.1) Android tablet firmware here.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#39 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:48 AM

fragmentation will not get worse with the kindle fire. Google mandates all manufacturers keep updates to their devices for 18mo now long as hardware can handle it. That being said they also said they think basically ever device that runs GB will be able to run ICS no problem.

ignoring anything before FroYo the fragmentation in android is not bad at all nor is it much worse than apples even. each new iOS dumps a previous iPhone basically from supporting it or supporting all its features.

One thing with ICS is the fact that all android apps are forward compatible and ICS brings all honeycomb API's to handsets. there is a good post on the android developers blog on how to make your tablet only apps able to be used on handsets and smaller screens. I for one hope that they take that article into account when making the android version. http://android-devel...r-handsets.html

reason i say that is I would love to see the iPad version allowed on handsets. With most android handsets being 4in screens or more there is enough real estate to make it useable and worth it in the long run.

#40 OFFLINE   PKevin

PKevin

• Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSouth East Mi.

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:59 AM

Wish they could have the android os working on the Nomad before Christmas, I'll be flying then and it would really help pass the time. My wife loves it on her ipad just need it on my Galaxy tablet.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...