Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Finally updating my Dad's Directv system!

hr24

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:09 PM

I'm home with the family for a few weeks, so it's time for an upgrade!

Current setup.

HR10-250- tivo in the living room(1 tuner active)

HR20-100 in theater room. We need OTA in the middle of ND. The locals they offer don't include PBS or FOX and the 3 they do carry are from Bismark, 100 miles away.
All of this is still connected by the old combiner/splitters.

Dad called retention and they gave him a HD DVR to replace the tivo, SWiM upgrade with whole home install, and a wireless internet kit and an AM21 tuner , and a 2 month upgrade to premiere all for no charge. (aside from a 2 year commitment, of course) He never threatened to leave, just simply asking what would be involved in upgrading. They were throwing offers at him without even asking.

I haven't been keeping up on current deals, but I told him he'd be crazy to pass it up! He also has an ipad, so I can't wait to show him the app!
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:10 PM

Good deal, take it.

#3 OFFLINE   BosFan

BosFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts
  • LocationAltoona, WI

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:52 AM

I agree good deal, but be careful on the AM21, been seeing a number of posts here they have been unavailable as they switch over to the AM21n

Living room: Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30, HR23-700, Sony BDP-N460, Yamaha HTR-6140, Harmony 700
Family room: Vizio SV421XVT, HR24-500, Sony PlayStation 3, Yamaha R-7, Harmony 700
Bedroom: Vizio VA26L, HR21-200
SL-3, DECA, Whole-Home DVR, DTV since 4/09

Life isn’t like a box of chocolates…it’s more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your *** tomorrow.
---Author Unknown

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,338 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:10 AM

We need OTA in the middle of ND.

When you live in East Jesus, you pretty much have to take what you can get. Only Wyoming has worse OTA availability.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,004 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:03 AM

So do you really want OTA locals from Minot or Fargo/Grand Forks?
How far do you have to go before you live in the right area to get the locals you want from DirecTV?

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#6 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:12 PM

I agree good deal, but be careful on the AM21, been seeing a number of posts here they have been unavailable as they switch over to the AM21n

As far as I know they are readily available now. There really isn't any difference between the AM21 and AM21n so he shouldn't care which version he gets.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#7 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:06 AM

So do you really want OTA locals from Minot or Fargo/Grand Forks?
How far do you have to go before you live in the right area to get the locals you want from DirecTV?

In this market, Minot, Bismark, Williston and Dickinson are considered 1 DMA. So they provide only the Bismark feed. Those 4 cities form a square that covers the entire western half of the state.

They never did offer SD locals, and only offered the big 3 in the last few months...which is strange, because ABC & FOX are owned ny the same company here.

So no PBS or FOX at all, but as I said, who wanys tuheir local news and weather from 100 miles away anyway? i get a great signal from antenna, and since OTA is built into the HR20, i just need an AM21 for whichever box they decide to give me.

I get 4 subchannels...heck, even the local CBS affiliate has local news in HD, which is no small feat in this town;. While attending high school here in the late '80s, I worked for the local NBC affiliate. Equipment was not exactly state-of-the-art!
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hr24

spam firewall