Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Bad Weather Observation

wireless range

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BarkingGhost

BarkingGhost

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:03 AM

No, not talking about rain fade!

Yesterday evening was a particular stormy event with a lot of cloud-cloud lightning (more than cloud-ground) and at one point I had none of the TVs or DirecTV equipment on.

No signs of a brown/black out, but at one point all of the DirecTV equipment came on by themselves. And this isn't the first time I've observed this happening.

I have to an H23 and two HR21's and they all do this for some odd reason. Ideas?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:07 AM

Yesterday evening was a particular stormy event with a lot of cloud-cloud lightning (more than cloud-ground) and at one point I had none of the TVs or DirecTV equipment on.

No signs of a brown/black out, but at one point all of the DirecTV equipment came on by themselves. And this isn't the first time I've observed this happening.

I have to an H23 and two HR21's and they all do this for some odd reason. Ideas?

You had some sort of a power surge. The DirecTV equipment can be very sensitive to power fluctuations. So even if the power flickered for a brief second, that could be enough to affect your receviers.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,410 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:21 AM

Your best option when something like that happens is to unplug everything. Each one of those hits takes a portion of blue smoke out of the bottle.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   gilviv

gilviv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 358 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:25 AM

Wouldn't a UPS take care of this problem? It has worked out well for my 2 units.

DirecTV since July 2006, WholeHome & HDDVR Service
Slimline5 SWM-LNB Dish to:
3x HR24/100s #1 w/AM21N via HDMI to LG 42LH90/240hz Full LED, #2 w/AM21N & #3 both via HDMI to 2-LG 32LK330/60hz LCDs
1x HR23/700 via HDMI> Sharp 26" LCD

#5 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:27 AM

I have UPSs on both of my units.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#6 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:19 PM

UPS-Tales care of OVER VOLATGE and under VOLATGE-When the first power goes out turn the system off till the storm passes.

No Surge protector will take that into factor
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#7 OFFLINE   BarkingGhost

BarkingGhost

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:23 PM

I guess the sub-brownout was enough to reboot the receivers, but then why didn't they go back into standby mode? Next time it happens I'll pop the TV on and see if it indeed lose power.

BTW, I had this happen in the past with a pair of identically built computers, and both sporting Logitech MX Revolution mice. All but one computer in my home has motherboards from the same manufacturer, and configured for power-on via CTRL+1 (wake on mouse is disabled). Yet, these two computers (and not the other four) came on.

Ghosts in the lightning?

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,410 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:48 PM

UPS-Tales care of OVER VOLATGE and under VOLATGE-When the first power goes out turn the system off till the storm passes.

Turning a DIRECTV receiver "off" offers no protection at all. You need to unplug it.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,410 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:50 PM

Wouldn't a UPS take care of this problem?

Minor voltage fluctuations, yes. Nearby ground strikes, no.

#10 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:30 AM

Turning a DIRECTV receiver "off" offers no protection at all. You need to unplug it.

That's the reason it's on a UPS-

un-needed action(when connected to the ups) the ups shuts down when the battery runs out.

Waiting for a correction :nono:
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#11 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:31 AM

Might be an electric charge in the air triggering the "on" circuitry.

There can be a high electrical potential around thunderstorms. If the lightning were going to ground, the voltage would not have as much of a chance to build up.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#12 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:37 AM

All of my AV equipment is powered through a Monster HT Power Center. Here in North Texas we experience every type of storm be it rain, hail, tornado, high winds, snow, sky to sky and sky to ground lighting. The Monster HT Power Center (and other reputable brands) will power down your hardware fast but in a manner that prevents them fom being damaged. These units are designed to absorb the hit yet shield the connected gear including coax, phoe and cat 5. Another great attribute is if the center detects a power fault and turns off all hardware safely. Once the event is over it safely restores power in appropriate sequence. If a direct hit occurs an alarm sounds. That indicates the unit has protected the hardware but now itself must be replaced. Most high end units such as my Monster HT has a free replacement policy.

The Monster HT Power Center is not a UPS.

Edited by 1953, 17 June 2011 - 07:49 AM.

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,410 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:52 AM

A UPS will not protect you from a ground strike. It cannot shut off fast enough and lightning voltages will arc across any kind of mechanical switch (and most electronic switches). They offer more protection than a surge suppressor, but they can't stop a train.

#14 OFFLINE   tnflyboy

tnflyboy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:14 AM

The only way to really protect the Directv receiver would be to unlug them from the wall, remove the phone and coax cables and move it away from any windows..... So I ask, is anyone really going to do all this? That is why we have home insurance and the DirecTv protection plan.
I have all of mine on UPS' (as well as my network equipment and main PC) and they do just fine. We had a storm two nights ago and lightning was striking all over the place here in Northern Georgia. Cool thing was the power went out for a few minutes but we were able to keep watching the weather.

#15 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:05 PM

I guess the sub-brownout was enough to reboot the receivers, but then why didn't they go back into standby mode?...

If you think about it, under what scenario does it make sense that if a STB reboots, that it would then go into standby? If a reboot is initiated by a customer or by a customer with help from a CSR/tech, it would be counter-intuitive for it to go into standby once it was booted up, as it would appear to still not be working. Since any reboot, even those unattended and due to a power surge typically clears problems by setting the STB to an initialized state where the past is deleted and all it knows about its state is that it came up happy, it has no earthly idea whether the intent was for it to be in standby or not, so since in the majority of cases it would be desired to have it up and out of standby, that is how it comes up, by design.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#16 OFFLINE   admdata

admdata

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:45 AM

If you think about it, under what scenario does it make sense that if a STB reboots, that it would then go into standby? If a reboot is initiated by a customer or by a customer with help from a CSR/tech, it would be counter-intuitive for it to go into standby once it was booted up, as it would appear to still not be working. Since any reboot, even those unattended and due to a power surge typically clears problems by setting the STB to an initialized state where the past is deleted and all it knows about its state is that it came up happy, it has no earthly idea whether the intent was for it to be in standby or not, so since in the majority of cases it would be desired to have it up and out of standby, that is how it comes up, by design.

That isn't 100% true, example I have 2 d11 recivers (yes I know it isn't a dvr), if I unplug it in the standby mode, leave it off for say 30 secs and plug it back in the reciver will boot up and go into the standby mode after it runs though all of the booting screens and downloads it tiny 3 day program guide from the sat.

Just something that I have notice from a-typical use.
Account closed by Directv on 7/7/2011
All leased equipment returned

On 7/8/2011 Directv charges me for 2 receivers one DVR at ($175.00) and a Standard STB for ($45.00), good grief!!

Note: Directv did reverse the equipment charges

spam firewall