Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA and subchannels

wireless

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Joke

Joke

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:26 AM

Hi,

I'm about to switch to DirecTV from U-verse.

I've seen some threads discussing the fact that the DirecTV HD receivers can integrate in the OTA signals for local channels (and the subchannels, too, I believe), and the HD DVR can even record the OTA versions of the channels.

That seems like pretty cool functionality.

I live in Houston, and I'll be ordering 3 HD receivers (one an HD DVR) and paying for the HD service, so I wouldn't really need the integrated OTA since DirecTV has HD versions of all my locals.
But it still seems like a cool toy to have; I presume the picture quality is better (OTA typically is), and I doubt DirecTV provides the subchannels via satellite.

So my question is, can I get that OTA integration turned on for my setup, even though HD locals are available via satellite?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:32 AM

Yes, you can. If you get a HR-20 700 or HR-20 100 then they already have an OTA port in the back of the receiver. All other receivers, including your basic HD receivers (H series) can receive OTA locals with an AM21. Can't remember how much they are but just call DirecTV or go to their website and log into your account to order one or however many you want.
Go Big Red!!!

#3 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,552 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:35 AM

For OTA you'll need the HR20 DVR as they have the OTA tuner built in. For the other models you'll need the AM21 add-on tuner. And yes, the DVR can record the OTA channels and their guide is incorporated into the system. However, you are at the mercy of DirecTV as to whether all sub-channels are included in the guide.

I have both OTA locals and DirecTV locals in my guide.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#4 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:04 PM

The HR24/AM21 combo is vastly superior to the HR20 when it comes to OTA. The multipath issues common with HR20's can be very frustrating to say the least.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,273 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:51 PM

Rest assured that new subscribers have very little chance of getting an HR20.

DIRECTV's AM21 solution works well with most of their receivers except the HR24-500.

It is important to know that if you have a station that likes to change, add or remove subchannels a lot, there will be serious problems with the database driven OTA tuning model that DIRECTV uses. If the channel isn't listed in the guide that DIRECTV provides, the DIRECTV tuner WILL NOT tune it.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 ONLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,806 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:53 PM

Am21 is $50 from Directv. They have been known to discount it.

#7 OFFLINE   Joke

Joke

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:50 PM

Thank you everyone for the info.

Sounds cool and easy implement. But on the down side, $50 a box seems a little steep. Guess I'll wait and see how I feel about the picture quality on the satellite version of the locals.

#8 OFFLINE   Garyunc

Garyunc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:55 PM

Sounds cool and easy implement. But on the down side, $50 a box seems a little steep. Guess I'll wait and see how I feel about the picture quality on the satellite version of the locals.

I would try to get them included in your new deal.
DirecTV customer since 1995

#9 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:08 PM

Probably won't happen. As far as I know they cannot order an AM21 for you until you have a H2x or HR2x receiver active on your account.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#10 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,265 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:20 PM

In my experience, I haven't been able to tell the difference in picture quality between OTA and Sat delivered locals. The only difference I can tell is that FF and RW are a little smoother with OTA because of the way those channels are encoded.

As for pricing... I got mine on eBay for about $40.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#11 ONLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,806 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:56 PM

SAT and OTA are virtually identical. I can't tell them apart. I just get to watch things two seconds sooner with OTA.

You can mess with people that way. Watch a sporting event on OTA, talk on the phone with someone watching the same thing on SAT and you can even predict with 100% accuracy the end of a play or shot. They go nuts on the other end. :D

#12 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,940 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:46 PM

Rest assured that new subscribers have very little chance of getting an HR20.

DIRECTV's AM21 solution works well with most of their receivers except the HR24-500.

It is important to know that if you have a station that likes to change, add or remove subchannels a lot, there will be serious problems with the database driven OTA tuning model that DIRECTV uses. If the channel isn't listed in the guide that DIRECTV provides, the DIRECTV tuner WILL NOT tune it.

I realize that you don't have one so don't know why you claim this. My HR24-500/AM21 works just fine.

#13 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:01 AM

keep in mind that you won't get all the subchannels - only the ones DirecTV allows you to see based on their guide information (or lack, thereof).

#14 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,552 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:22 AM

You can always plug the antenna into the TV to ensure you get all local sub-channels.

In my area, DirecTV doesn't offer two of the sub-channels for our PBS.

My TV also receives two of the PBS audio sub-channels.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#15 OFFLINE   kovach

kovach

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:43 AM

Yeah, that sounds minor, but there's at least 3 subchannels in my area that have been live since sometime last year that I'm still not able to get through the AM21 because DirecTV hasn't updated their database yet. Frustrating. Of course I can get them if running the antenna directly into my TV.

#16 OFFLINE   nusatman

nusatman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:18 PM

Does anyone know if and when Directv is planning on making more of the sub-channels available? Seems to me, that whomever comes up with that first, may have a bit of an advantage over other providers...just saying...

#17 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

keep in mind that you won't get all the subchannels - only the ones DirecTV allows you to see based on their guide information (or lack, thereof).

I seem to recall the HR34 will pick up everything it scans, unlike earlier database driven models. Of course Dish works the same way, picking up everything it scans.

#18 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

^^^
Right now, the answer is never... I'd just like, for example, 14-4 - Normal Programming, but we get nothing.

#19 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

If I get an am21 can I use it for just one subchannel and get the main and rest of my locals off the bird? why doesn't the am21 work with an hr24-500? I think both of my hr24's are that one or one is a 500 and the other a 100.

#20 ONLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,485 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

If I get an am21 can I use it for just one subchannel and get the main and rest of my locals off the bird? why doesn't the am21 work with an hr24-500? I think both of my hr24's are that one or one is a 500 and the other a 100.

Yes, and yes. Adding an AM21 does not take away any of the local channels that you already get via DirecTV satellite. You can edit which off-air channels appear in the Guide to include either your satellite-delivered locals, off-air locals, or both.

The AM21 does work with the HR24. It works with all HD Receivers and DVRs, including the new HR34 Home Media Center DVR. It does not work with H20 or HR20 because those already have integrated off-air tuners.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

spam firewall