Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will D12MP-500 work on Dish Network Dish?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   plinc

plinc

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:10 PM

I switched from Dish Network to Direct TV. I have a D12MP-500 receiver at my cabin hooked up on my old RV round Direct TV dish from 10 years ago (working fine, but sitting on a tripod on the deck). My cabin still has the round Dish Network dish on it. Can I just re-aim that dish and hook my D12 to it, or do I have to swap out the LNB for the one on my Direct TV dish (assuming the actual dish configuration is identical)??
Thanks,
Paul

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:24 PM

If it's an older Dish Network dish then you may be able to repoint it at 101 for DirecTV. What LNB is on the dish you want to repoint?
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   plinc

plinc

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:37 PM

It is a newer dual lnb, was still working two months ago. dont know the model number.

We had it installed for two + years. I am too old to climb up and work on it much, so
was hoping to get my grandson up there and just move the dish??

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:00 AM

Dish has 3 generations of LNBs. A DirecTV receiver will only work with the oldest type (aka "Legacy") LNBs, and only if they are separate. Any LNB pack with more than one LNB will have an integrated switch that is not compatible with DirecTV.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#5 OFFLINE   plinc

plinc

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:52 PM

Thanks for the help. My Dish Network dish is definitely a later (dual lnb) dish, so guess I will have to talk my grandson into climbing up a ladder.
I did get far enough up to read 119w on one side of the lnb, but it definitely has two round units in a wide frame.
I only have one regular (non HD) receiver up here, so may just swap the lnb out of the dish I have on the tripod (currently looking at 101), and hook it up to one of the cables coming in to the cabin.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...