Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Interactive Beam Footprint Library Update 4/17/2015

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#151 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:04 PM

The Ku-76 SkyM Beam Footprints have been updated with two additional beams from subsequent filings.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#152 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 05:14 PM

SATELLITE  Directv KU-79 @79W   /   SKY-Mexico-1

This is the First of two forthcoming satellites for DIRECTV-SKY-Mexico

Beam Footprint: MTH Mexico

Beam Footprint: MTV Mexico

Beam Footprint: USTH Conus

Beam Footprint: USTV Conus

**  Update 5/2/2015 Information Below from Spear61:

The original and the also most recent database files for Ku79 are also provided. 

Be aware: there are two space stations assigned to this one physical satellite.

Beam Footprint: TBL_Mexico

Beam Footprint: TBR_Mexico

Original KU79 Database: SchedS

Latest 1505 KU79 Database:  SchedS

Edited by Gary Toma, 04 May 2015 - 09:39 PM.
update 4/21/2015

#153 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,715 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 April 2015 - 02:48 PM

SATELLITE Directv KU-79 @79W / SKY-Mexico-1

This is the First of two forthcoming satellites for DIRECTV-SKY-Mexico

Beam Footprint: FSS_Conus
Beam Footprint: FSS_Mexico

*edit* 4/20/15 - Yes, there is a problem with the Mexico file which needs to be fixed - give me a few minutes, please...

Hey Gary:

Where did you get these downlink beams for KU-79W?

As I recently posted in the KU-79W (SKYM-1) thread, the d/l beams for this satellite should be four. Which I think the abbreviations are for;

TKV - "Transmit, Ku band, Vertical pol." to cover the service area designated "MEX+", which entails Mexico, Central America, and parts of the Caribbean.

TKH - "Transmit, Ku band, Horiz. pol." for the MEX+ service area as well.

TBR - "Transmit, BSS band (i.e. RDBS band), Right circular pol." to cover the area of Mexico only. Thus designated as "MEX"

TBL - "Transmit, BSS band, Left circular pol. RDBS for the MEX area only as well.

See the Schedule S here: http://licensing.fcc...ing_key=-256089

And note GXT files 3, 4, 7, and 8 from the same link as well.

Edited by HoTat2, 21 April 2015 - 07:57 PM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#154 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,715 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:07 PM

SATELLITE DIRECTV KU76 @76W

Beam Footprint: Mexico_TXH

Beam Footprint: Mexico_TXV

Beam Footprint: Mexico_TBL

Beam Footprint: Mexico_TKH

Update:  4/17/2015                 As always -- thanks to spear61 for his time and effort!

Hey Gary (me again :) )

Just checked the latest FCC filings for KU-76W d/l beams (perhaps to be also called "SKYM-2?")

They're the same beams and service areas as KU-79W ....

TKV, TKH, TBR, and TBL

See the Schedule S here: http://licensing.fcc...ing_key=-272886

As well as GXT files 3, 4, 7, and 8.

#155 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:34 PM

Hey Gary:

Where did you get these downlink beams for KU-79W? ....

Post #152 has just been updated with data from spear61 received tonight.  The earlier two beams posted simply did not repeat the H and V beam footprints, which duplicate each other - that is why we now have four beams instead of the earlier two beams.

I recognize that this data does not agree with the reading of the Schedule S information you have been referencing.

We may need to try to induce spear61 to come chat with us.

#156 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,715 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:03 AM

Ok Gary;

May have to wait for spear61 to clarify this, because something is confused here....

For why would KU-79W have CONUS beams?

None of the GXT files at the link are contour plots for CONUS beams and the RDBS beam plots listed there are not shown in spear61's submissions.

For reference:

KU-79W Ku band payload, uplink frequencies 14.0-14.5 GHz on satellite receive beams RKV and RKH from the USMEX service area. Downlink 11.7-12.2 GHz on satellite transmit beams TKV and TKH to the MEX+ service area.

RDBS band payload, uplink 24.750-25.250 GHz on satellite receive beams RBR and RBL from the MEX service area. Downlink 17.3-17.8 GHz on satellite transmit beams TBR and TBL to the MEX service area.

Service Area IDs ...

USMEX = Southern US, Mexico, C.A., and parts of the Caribbean.
MEX+ = Mexico, C.A., and parts of the Caribbean.
MEX = Mexico

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

#157 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:44 PM

Here is a response from spear61 this afternoon regarding our KU79W conundrum discussion.

While I would love to have a long, descriptive text to share, I am still quite happy that spear61 took the time to respond to some of these most recent posts.

His input:

The beams are a direct extraction from the FCC mod Schedule S database file.  I do not like to use the GXT files since they frequently contain errors.

By definition, any beam designed to cover the 48 contiguous states with a standard antenna is Conus.  Conus Plus adds the other two states.  When the beams are generated, I look at them to see what criteria they fit.  The filing summary (cover page) describes it as a KU satellite so that is how I labeled the satellite

The BSS 17/24 Mhz beam patterns cover the entire 48 states and meet the Conus definition, no matter how they chose to describe it in the narrative.

#158 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,050 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 26 April 2015 - 01:37 PM

Sure enough, the original filing for S2861 shows the beam covering the US and says it will be used for HD and 3D (lol) programming. I guess most of us assumed this was a Mexico/LA only satellite and didn't have anything to do with the US. It just doesn't make sense to me that they'd add another location using a standalone FSS dish! Maybe it is just the way the license was offered, but they don't plan to actually use it for customers in the US? Can't see them needing the bandwidth, at least not after they drop MPEG2.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL, 3xSWM16; 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#159 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,715 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 07:09 PM

I just have to believe though that the Schedule S database is wrong here.

KU-79W or SKYM-1 is for the SKY Mexico service covering Mexico (obviously), Central America, and parts of the Caribbean. Not the US with the exception of the satellite's linear receive beams covering parts of the southern US to allow DIRECTV to uplink from sites like the CBC to transmit programming to it.

The GXT files, though perhaps error ridden as spear61 says, and the PDF version of the Schedule S nevertheless appear to be correct and approximately match the downlink service beams IS16 is now providing at 79W for the interim until KU-79W arrives.

#160 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:49 PM

An update on the KU79 Beam Footprint Maps for 5/2/2015 from spear61:

His notes:

attached are two mexico BSS 17/24 beams maps

also attached are the two database files for 79W

You may might want to dig around in the ku filings.  Not sure what that Conus thing was/is.   Either it is a fss beam for US,  a mistake in attachment or they have a  capability they are choosing not to describe at this time.  The explanation will be found in the transformer frequency fields associated with the beam.

Ignore any warnings for missing links, it will open to proper the file.  Then build yourself a query for what you are looking for.

#161 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,050 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:46 PM

or they have a  capability they are choosing not to describe at this time.

That's another possibility - maybe the satellite has the ability to do CONUS so it can be put to other uses someday, similar to how D15 includes Ku capability even though that can't be used from 103. While Directv doesn't use FSS in CONUS, other providers do so they could sell/lease the satellite if its Mexican beams at 79W were taken over by future satellites.

#162 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,715 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:35 AM

That's another possibility - maybe the satellite has the ability to do CONUS so it can be put to other uses someday, similar to how D15 includes Ku capability even though that can't be used from 103. While Directv doesn't use FSS in CONUS, other providers do so they could sell/lease the satellite if its Mexican beams at 79W were taken over by future satellites.

But can DIRECTV legally do that?

Choose not to reveal a capability like that as part of the application filings for a satellie's authorization to the FCC?

Isn't DIRECTV supposed to use the customary "... SKYM-1 satellite also has a CONUS+ beam payload, but DIRECTV does not seek an authorization for it's use at this time" type language in the LOA request like with D15's Ku DBS band payload?

#163 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,050 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:01 AM

But can DIRECTV legally do that?

Choose not to reveal a capability like that as part of the application filings for a satellie's authorization to the FCC?

Isn't DIRECTV supposed to use the customary "... SKYM-1 satellite also has a CONUS+ beam payload, but DIRECTV does not seek an authorization for it's use at this time" type language in the LOA request like with D15's Ku DBS band payload?

I don't see any reason why Directv would have to use that language here just because they did with D15. Just like some requests to move satellites around leave out the Spaceways because they didn't have to move

Either way Directv has to get a LOA to use a certain frequency band from a certain slot. Since they'll want to be able to test that payload they can't keep it a secret, they'd have to tell the FCC what they plan to test and choose a slot where they'd be allowed to test FSS to CONUS.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...