Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Interactive Beam Footprint Library

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:09 PM

Hey gct;

Briefly, is there a similar code for the D9s spotbeam labels? Like what does "BB11" for the Los Angeles SB mean? Its been so long I can't really locate anything in the FCC filings for it.

I realize in the HD era not many are particularly interested in the Ku band birds for SD 101 these days, but I would like to know anyhow for my technical notes here.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:47 AM

DIRECTV KU (FSS) @45W

These are the proposed Beam Pattern Footprints for new forthcoming KU_45W satellite for DIRECTV-Latin America's Brazil Regional Market.

EDIT:  Updated 11/8/2013

Beam Footprint: Directv_KU_45W_T1H_Brazil

Beam Footprint: Directv_KU_45W_T2H_Brazil

Beam Footprint: Directv_KU_45W_T2V_Brazil

Beam Footprint: Directv_KU_45W_TXV_Brazil

Edited by Gary Toma, 08 November 2013 - 08:17 PM.

#23 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:56 PM

HoTat,

As I recall, BB is "broad beam", an older term that differentiated from "narrow beam" (now more commonly referred to as a 'spot beam'). The "N", "NATL" and CONUS are all synonymous.

But I have had to run for help for "DL-A", "CB20", "DL4" and "TX1" type entries. I'm waiting for Doctor J or spears61 to weigh in.
:)

Here's the response I just got from spears61:

There is no prescribed naming convention. Each manufacturer seems to use whatever they want and then change them randomly (probably when the old engineers retire). With that said,

DL as a prefix probably just indicates 'DownLink'
T as a prefix would be 'transmit' (downlink again)

Typically, they use either Transmit or Emission (T or E) in the ITU database field for downlink transmission.

#24 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:26 PM

What software do you need to Open and View these Files?
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#25 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,965 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:48 PM

What software do you need to Open and View these Files?

The very 1st post clearly states:

Viewing this data requires the Google Earth application. The free application is available at
http://www.google.co...rth/download/ge

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#26 OFFLINE   levibluewa

levibluewa

Icon

• Registered
  • 604 posts
  • LocationWA, OR, CA

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:36 PM

I'm assuming that the color rings indicate the dish size needed in order to access the signal...did I miss the posting that shows the color legend.

#27 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,424 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:03 PM

I'm assuming that the color rings indicate the dish size needed in order to access the signal...did I miss the posting that shows the color legend.

spears61 is the spotbeam expert.
the old document did have a legend for the rings.
I cannot find my original notes but reviewing the data i believe the center point is 0dB gain or the predicted EIRP of the beam in question.

the rings are power losses from the center
White = -2 dB
Blue = -4 dB
Green = -6 dB
Pink =-8 dB
Yellow = -10 db
Orange = -15 dB
Red = -20 dB

This does correlate with the size reflector/ dish needed for adequate reception but is not indicative of specific size needed.

My "ballpark" guesstimates are that inside the Pink ring is adequate for standard slimline dish reception.
Outside or approaching Red ring may push the limits of the DTVAH 1.2 Meter dish.

Maybe others can give exact dB conversions /explanations.

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#28 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:01 PM

Sorry to be responding so late.

With the new interactive displays, zoom in and watch closely. You'll see the isobars are all labeled with the signal strength they represent. The labels indicate signal strength in dBw; that's yet another topic.

For our purposes, the signal is really 'usable' out to approximately a signal level of 50 dBw, which is usually a pink or white band. (But always, always, check the isobar label.)

A big caveat: the charts are very accurate, but assume the satellite is transmitting at full power. However, adjusting the signal power is one way the broadcaster can control the beam. In addition, many other factors can impact the decision of how much power to use.

There is nothing wrong with Doctor J's memory!!

:)

#29 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:47 AM

These sites can give more insight.
Assume center point 59 to 60 dBw and rings reduce as above.

http://www.kvh.com/P...ision-Maps.aspx

http://www.sadoun.co...n/Dish-Size.htm

KA reception may need 1 or 2 "steps" up in size to prevent serious "minor" weather problems.

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#30 OFFLINE   spear61

spear61

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:21 AM

spears61 is the spotbeam expert.
the old document did have a legend for the rings.
I cannot find my original notes but reviewing the data i believe the center point is 0dB gain or the predicted EIRP of the beam in question.

Doctor j

Each satellite is unique in that the Maximum dBw strength at the center point will vary. And each filing may have different ranges. But, in general, the filings are for 0, -2,-4,-6,-8, -10,-15, and -20

Remember, a 3dBw change reflects a factor of 2, either double or 1/2 signal strength and you are working with logrithmic data so you either add or subtract to calculate totals ; ie a change of 6 is equal to a change by a factor of 4 for absolute signal strength.

You will find the dBw level somewhere on each isodBw bar east or west of the center point. The macro runs thru the data points and places the digital data point at the first location within +/- 2 degrees latitude of the center point as it increments thru the lat/long points for each curve.

I prefer to use the left side panal to open the index. The center point, and all curves are labeled by both color, name, and dBw number in that panal (all done automatically by the Google Earth guys).

Mix and match satellites, beams, and dBw levels by toggle to get a view of you area.

Remember. A standard Directv antenna probably will have solid reception for anything above 50 dBw.

#31 OFFLINE   gwade

gwade

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:09 PM

Trying to understand the maps and getting a bit confused. I'm in the South San Francisco Bay Area, but I see two D3 spot beam maps: one for San Francisco (D12 A2BD) and one for San Jose (D12 A3BA). I'm certainly closer to San Jose (a few miles) than San Francisco. What Spot Beam would I be receiving HD locals from then?

Only reason I'm asking is because the San Jose spot beam seems to be pointed farther east with a pretty strong signal in Lake Tahoe...not that that particular piece of information is germane to the question. :)

The San Francisco spot beam is clearly farther west, with a very weak (if not receivable) signal in Tahoe.

Thoughts from you experts out there?

#32 OFFLINE   kshealy

kshealy

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:23 PM

I looked at the DC spot beam and there are multiple ovals. Can you tell me what each one represents?

I will be traveling to Blacksburg which is inside the the 2nd inner oval. Does that mean I can get local channels from DC?

Attached Thumbnails

• GoogleEarth_Image.jpg

#33 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:06 PM

I looked at the DC spot beam and there are multiple ovals. Can you tell me what each one represents?

I will be traveling to Blacksburg which is inside the the 2nd inner oval. Does that mean I can get local channels from DC?

Please go back and read posts #27 through #30. These posts are all explaining that the isobars (colored concentric rings) are indicating signal strength. The color and the dBw signal level notation will tell you what the relative signal level will be.

#34 OFFLINE   caseyf5

caseyf5

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts
  • LocationBethpage, NY 11714

Posted 30 September 2011 - 06:01 AM

Hello gct,

This is the only problem on the total of all the lists that I found.

D12 @103W
SATELLITE DIRECTV D12 @103W
Beam Footprint: D9S_RB05_Chicago
Bad Request and additional error 404

http://www.camera3.o...05_Chicago.kmz%

#35 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 08:35 PM

casey,

I corrected the error in the D9S_RB05_Chicago link.

Is there error with D12 @103 that needs to be corrected also?

Thanks!
gct

Hello gct,

This is the only problem on the total of all the lists that I found.

D12 @103W
SATELLITE DIRECTV D12 @103W
Beam Footprint: D9S_RB05_Chicago
Bad Request and additional error 404

http://www.camera3.o...05_Chicago.kmz%

#36 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:12 PM

The data for El Paso is interesting. I was out there for a couple of months. When I returned to Tucson, I was getting 90% siginal. I'm now in Phoenix and I can still get a 50% signal out here. The maps show it a dead signal before it crosses the Arizona border.

#37 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:54 PM

The data for El Paso is interesting. I was out there for a couple of months. When I returned to Tucson, I was getting 90% siginal. I'm now in Phoenix and I can still get a 50% signal out here. The maps show it a dead signal before it crosses the Arizona border.

The maps show the signal strength isobar as spears 61 explained above.
This represents the likely signal from 2 or 3 TPN's on that beam.
If you are seeing signal on a certain transponder, may be from another beam.

Put them all on a map and see the overlap.

The actual output of any transponder is adjustable and subject to change.
What is happening at this moment can only be measured by those in the beam and reporting variations.

It is a logrithmic scale of wide variability.
The digital tuner has an ON or OFF threshold.

Doctor j

#38 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:05 PM

You also may be looking at the wrong map.
The "El Paso" map in post #8 above references the BSS band on D-12 not currently known to be active.

As per :
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=195415

El Paso is on D-11 Beam A3B9
There is no "map" per se but extrapolate D10-12 Beam A3B9 (Tucson) 200 or so miles to the NE and you have the facts as I know them.

This suggest Tucson would be along the yellow isobar and "borderline".
Phoenix would be along the orange to red isobar and not likely to be "available"

Doctor j

Edited by doctor j, 24 October 2011 - 02:11 PM.
sp.

#39 OFFLINE   goober22

goober22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSunny Flori-Duh!

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:17 PM

Where do I find Mobile, AL/Pensacola/FT Walton, FL.? I do not see them.

Resident Jenius!

DirecTV = HR20-700x2, HR20-100x2, R22-100+AM21Nx2, All Networked, R15-500x1 (not activated), D12-300x2, Zinwell WB616, OTA=17, WOW (Knology) Cable = Internet & Phone Only,  Hitachi 65S700 65", Sanyo 50" Plasma x2, Hisense 42" LCD, Scepter 40" LCD, Vizio 26" LCD, Hiteker 32" LCD,  Sony 7.1 Receiver, Sony 7.1 Speaker System

#40 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:41 PM

Where do I find Mobile, AL/Pensacola/FT Walton, FL.? I do not see them.

Mobile, NET 639 MKT 128 is on D-11 Beam A2B7

Again no exact beam map , but use D-10_12 Beam A2B7 (New Orleans) map and shift about 200 miles directly NE.
Centers about Biloxi! :)

Doctor j

Protected By... spam firewall...And...