Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Interactive Beam Footprint Library

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:47 PM

Thanks doctor... As a kid, the trick was seeing what kind of distant signals I could get on AM. Could barely hear anything, but I always checked at the top of the hour for call signs. Now, I see those signal strengths on spot beams and wonder where there headed to. Can't do anything with the signal, but it's interesting just the same.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   atlopie

atlopie

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:35 PM

DrJ I see you are a relatively close neighbor. Have you had any experience with the spotbeam for the Bham area outside the state lines? I didn't find the information for our beam in gct's posts. I have a service address in the Bham area but I am currently traveling in the New Orleans/Baton Rouge area. I have signals at or near 100 on the 101 and 90's on all others except 99s. At least one TP on 99s is near 100 but the 21 TP that serves the HD Bham stations is at 0. I did get as high as 33 on the 22 TP for a short while and the DVR picked up a recording from the PBS station on the 22 TP about midnight on a clear weather night. The signal on the 22 TP seems to be only late at night. Is there any chance more alignment tweaking would improve my chances of recieving my Bham locals? I realize I am probably asking for a miracle here but the fact I found PBS and The CW gives me hope. I contacted D* CS and blew their mind with my complicated question. I was offered a form to recieve East Coast DNS :confused:. I am using a SL3 dish and HR24-200.

#43 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:33 PM

From the DIRECTV filing of 12/5/2011:

Description: DIRECTV Enterprises, LLC hereby requests authorization to operate DIRECTV 1R, a satellite in the Direct Broadcast Service, at the 109.8 W.L. orbital location.

Thanks to spears61, we also now have the beam footprint associated with this requested move of D1R from 72.5 W to 109.8 W.

#44 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,052 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:36 PM

From the DIRECTV filing of 12/5/2011:

Description: DIRECTV Enterprises, LLC hereby requests authorization to operate DIRECTV 1R, a satellite in the Direct Broadcast Service, at the 109.8 W.L. orbital location.

I just posted the same info in the "Sixto Report" thread myself. :)

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#45 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:47 PM

SATELLITE D1R @109.8 W

Beam Footprint: D1R_DL_Conus

This is the beam footprint accompanying the DIRECTV filing on 12/5/2011, to move Satellite D1R from 72.5 W to 109.8 W.

#46 OFFLINE   BooneDocks

BooneDocks

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:01 PM

Wow, I think I have finally found what I have been looking for. About 8 months ago I started living full time in an RV and I travel about the country. I have a Winegard slimline traveler HD auto sat dish on the roof with Directv HD service. I haven't applied for DNS as I don't really want to pay the extra monthly cost. So far, I have had success with calling DTV and having them change my service address, but I spent six weeks in Myrtle Beach and 4 months in one location of Florida. I am under the impression that DTV won't change my locals too often but I haven't gotten a good line on just how often I can or can't change them. I view these maps as a way of selecting service address location that will keep me within the footprint of spot beams that generally correspond to my travels. For example, I plan to slowly travel this spring/summer up the east coast and into the Canadian Maritimes. It looks to me that if I first chose DC it would cover me from about NC up through NY. And then if I gave a Boston service address, I would be good for NY on up into Canada.

Do I have this all correct?

#47 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:31 PM

All of the Beam Footprints for D14 are now available. See Post #13 for the complete list.

This is all brand new data and has never been published before. Please provide feedback for any problems or questions you have.

Edited by gct, 25 May 2012 - 06:48 PM.

#48 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:53 AM

Data looks good.
There is a Question about 2 Panama City Beams , they are exact copies and thus one suspects a duplication error omission of another close by.

The west spots are somewhat larger ie Salt Lake City, Amarillo, Oklahoma City, Portland OR, Reno.
I can see a redristribution if these become available.

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#49 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,302 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:59 AM

Data looks good.
There is a Question about 2 Panama City Beams , they are exact copies and thus one suspects a duplication error omission of another close by.

The west spots are somewhat larger ie Salt Lake City, Amarillo, Oklahoma City, Portland OR, Reno.
I can see a redristribution if these become available.

Doctor j

I noticed that also. It looks like some rural customers may get their HD local channels back, albeit they'll have to wait a year and a half.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#50 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:48 PM

Data looks good.
There is a Question about 2 Panama City Beams , they are exact copies and thus one suspects a duplication error omission of another close by.......

Doctor j

A quote from Spear61 - Those 2 beams (B06 and B08) are identical, with the center in the Panama City area. I went back to the data files and checked the raw data and confirmed I had I had not duplicated some other beam. So, either Directv made a data submission duplication error or, indeed, there are two identical beams.....

Edited by gct, 26 May 2012 - 07:47 PM.

#51 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

gct, can you have maybe spears61 check on the issue of the PR spotbeam in my post here?

http://www.dbstalk.c...532#post3022532

#52 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

Here is a spears61 response to us before I could even contact him.

HoTat2 - is this making good sense to you?

From spear61:

I dug around a little bit in the schedule S file and extracted the data on this excel sheet. (see attached) You can separate the two tables and do a sort by column on the bigger table to get a good idea of how they can use it. Remember, a frequency range can not be used twice on any spot beam simultaneously. You can see how they can load up an area. It also explains Panama City (no duplicate frequency).

Attached Files

Edited by gct, 26 May 2012 - 07:47 PM.

#53 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:31 PM

From spears61:

I dug around a little bit in the schedule S file and extracted the data on this excel sheet. (see attached) You can separate the two tables and do a sort by column on the bigger table to get a good idea of how they can use it. Remember, a frequency range can not be used twice on any spot beam simultaneously. You can see how they can load up an area. It also explains Panama City (no duplicate frequency).

Extracting the data to the excel sheet certainly makes viewing and managing the data easier, thanks to spears61 for that.

But I still don't see how this answers the two apparent spotbeams listed for Puerto Rico, "B23" and "B24."

Assuming there is an answer to be had from this database of course. :)

#54 OFFLINE   spear61

spear61

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:05 PM

Extracting the data to the excel sheet certainly makes viewing and managing the data easier, thanks to spears61 for that.

But I still don't see how this answers the two apparent spotbeams listed for Puerto Rico, "B23" and "B24."

From the data tables:
B24 is 19770 Right
B23 is 19730 Left

So b24 must be the "R" in the LR label for b23 and shares the same beam footprint. It is common practice in the filing to only publish one footprint when right and left polarity do not change the footprint.

#55 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:59 PM

Things are a bit MORE confusing.

Trying to assimilate all of the data ( by the way 2 additional files are available on the FCC site about D-14. The Schedule S tech file and another Schedule S/ Beam Access file which seems to "Protected')

There are 43 spot beams on the standard US 48 State geography, with one also for Alaska.
2 spots are labled for Puerto Rico and appear as if 2 TPN's (B-23 and B-24)will be used for HD LIL's to Puerto Rico (they are in the TPN 1-8 "spot" range)

The retransmitted CONUS TPN's #'s 9 thru 24 appear to be redirected thru Beam B-23 and B-24 also for Puerto Rico, and a separate Antenna C01 (TPN's 9 thu 24) for Hawaii. Alaska is covered by a "lobe" on the NATIONAL beam.
No specific spots for Hawaii. There is a spot for Alaska A-21 with one additional TPN for Alaska HD LIL's.

The Schedule S Tech Report shows a total of 92 TPN's. 76 Spots and 16 CONUS. However the 16 CONUS are redirected to PR and HI. Does that mean they are using 124 TWTA's??

Confusing, Yes. But that's what the data says.

Doctor j

Edited by doctor j, 25 May 2012 - 03:01 PM.
correction

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#56 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

From spears61:

But this data makes Panama City spots even more confusing.
Spots B06 and B08 are 2 TPN per Spot beams. That give 4 TPN's to that area which is fairly small and couldn't be more than 2 DMA's (Panama City, FL and Dothan, AL). Beam is too small to cover Albany, GA or Tallahassee, FL or Mobile, AL/Pensacola, FL.

Doctor j

#57 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:49 PM

... There are 43 spot beams on the standard US 48 State geography, with one also for Alaska.
2 spots are labled for Puerto Rico and appear as if 2 TPN's (B-23 and B-24)will be used for HD LIL's to Puerto Rico (they are in the TPN 1-8 "spot" range)

That's the way I'm reading the data as two separate spotbeams for Puerto Rico. B23 for even numbered redirected nationals and 1 even SB transponder and B24 for odd numbered redirected nationals and 1 odd numbered SB transponder. Yet spear61's list has this data resulting in only one PR beam B23LR, carrying both even/odd national and SB transponders.

... The retransmitted CONUS TPN's #'s 9 thru 24 appear to be redirected thru Beam B-23 and B-24 also for Puerto Rico, and a separate Antenna C01 (TPN's 9 thu 24) for Hawaii. Alaska is covered by a "lobe" on the NATIONAL beam.
No specific spots for Hawaii. There is a spot for Alaska A-21 with one additional TPN for Alaska HD LIL's.

Same interpretation here.

... The Schedule S Tech Report shows a total of 92 TPN's. 76 Spots and 16 CONUS. However the 16 CONUS are redirected to PR and HI. Does that mean they are using 124 TWTA's??

Confusing, Yes. But that's what the data says.

I imagine D14 will use a similar if not exact TWTA arrangement for both the P.R. and HI. spotbeam that D10, 11, and 12 use for the redirected nationals on their Hawaiian spotbeam. They somehow apportion the 14 or 16 redirected national transponders over four active TWTAs (with four others as spares).

Whether that means 3-4 national transponders are assigned to each TWTA or some other I don't know. But obviously less TWTAs are necessary since the higher PFD of a SB largely compensates for having multiple transponders share 1 TWTA as opposed to the two parallel 130w TWTAs needed for each national transponder on the CONUS beam.

Edited by HoTat2, 25 May 2012 - 05:01 PM.

#58 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:53 PM

Spots B06 and B08 are 2 TPN per Spot beams. That give 4 TPN's to that area which is fairly small and couldn't be more than 2 DMA's (Panama City, FL and Dothan, AL). Beam is too small to cover Albany, GA or Tallahassee, FL or Mobile, AL/Pensacola, FL.

Doctor j

I'm reading 3 SB transponders each for A06 and A08 in the database, for a total of six. :confused:

#59 OFFLINE   spear61

spear61

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

That's the way I'm reading the data as two separate spotbeams for Puerto Rico. B23 for even numbered redirected nationals and 1 even SB transponder and B24 for odd numbered redirected nationals and 1 odd numbered SB transponder. Yet spear61's list has this data resulting in only one PR beam B23LR, carrying both even/odd national and SB transponders.

You are mixing terms. In this filing, the term beam was used for both beam and coverage maps but they put a L or R marker at the end of the beam name when identifying a beam "map". A beam "map" may be served by any number of transponders and polarities, depending on design, ie; a conus satellite with all transponders on one beam "map".

So, for Puerto Rico, there is only one beam "map", B23RL, which shows the coverage area and contours for whatever transponders and polarities are associated with coverage of that area.

#60 OFFLINE   spear61

spear61

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

Doctor j

I would not be surprised to see a correction issued. It sure looks like they may have inadvertently duplicated a gxt file when compiling the data for submission.

spam firewall