Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

3D Channels

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,428 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:12 AM

Do we have a list of 3D friendly AV receivers here? I'll be upgrading my Yamaha soon.

Not a list, but my Denon 1611 is working well with my Panasonic VT25.
Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" A.Einstein

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Dr_J

Dr_J

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:30 AM

Thanks for the responses. I upgraded my setup a month and a half ago with a small audiovisual company, and the downside is that I've lost control of everything. All the wires are tightly bound with cable ties, and the expensive, sophisticated universal remote has been programmed to turn the TV and other components on/off and run everything through the receiver. Bypassing the existing wiring with separate HDMI and digital audio wires sounds simple enough, but I just know I'm going to lose some functionality, particularly with the universal remote. Is it worth potentially disrupting a stable, uniform setup and have to add supplemantary wires and an additional remote control to watch a single 3D channel that only broadcasts intermittently when I can watch the same programming in sparkling 2D HD? Nope.

I did some research and found these threads on the DirecTV forums:

http://forums.direct...PostID=10812331

http://forums.direct...rtalPageId=1002

They're all about the incompatibility of these receivers to decode 720p side-by-side (SbS) 3D, which is not industry-standard. They also say that DirecTV could issue a firmware update to convert 720p SbS to industry-standard 1080i SbS and make the channel compatible with all receivers and TV's. If there is a firmware update, great. If not, I'm not going to lose sleep over ESPN 3D.

#23 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,027 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:30 AM

Do we have a list of 3D friendly AV receivers here? I'll be upgrading my Yamaha soon.

Not that I know of, Denon AVR-891 works fine for me.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#24 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:40 AM

Denon AR-1911 works great here.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#25 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:41 AM

Yes. Pioneer Elite VSX-31.

http://www.pioneerel...eceivers/VSX-31

Doesn't work with 720

Here's the thing....don't go swapping it out just yet. Have some faith and just "trust me" on this one for a little while....a few months.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#26 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:07 AM

I just finally broke down and got an onkyo NR609 and it seems to handle the 3D fine.

My TV is Samsung PN51D550

I got rid of a lot of clutter by going to all HDMI cables and getting rid of all that optical / coax audio I had running. I figured since DTV is stopping to include optical audio on its newer boxes, I would be forced to upgrade sooner or later.

EDIT:

After going back and checking, I don't think I viewed any content yet on ESPN. I assumed the tennis match I watched was ESPN, but it wasn't after going back and looking at the guide.

Edited by ffemtreed, 18 July 2011 - 06:38 AM.

#27 OFFLINE   premier1guy

premier1guy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:07 PM

I just got the SHARP 60" 3D - Model No: LC60LE835U
And it seems to work with ESPN 3D just fine (off DirecTV).

What a stunning set! The image is remarkable.

#28 OFFLINE   Dr_J

Dr_J

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:58 AM

Doesn't work with 720

Here's the thing....don't go swapping it out just yet. Have some faith and just "trust me" on this one for a little while....a few months.

Okey dokey, thanks! :)

#29 OFFLINE   RichYak

RichYak

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:03 PM

I have the same problem with my Pioneer VSX-1020 AVR. I had planned on re-routing my cables as suggested however....

...Here's the thing....don't go swapping it out just yet. Have some faith and just "trust me" on this one for a little while....a few months.

... I believe I will wait now.

#30 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:32 PM

Doesn't work with 720

:D:hurah::hurah::hurah::hurah::hurah::D
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#31 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:35 PM

Doesn't work with 720

I totally trust you. I run my HDMI through a pioneer 1020. Are you saying that my non-working ESPN 3D might start working in a few months?

Edited by itzme, 19 July 2011 - 10:10 AM.

#32 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:12 AM

Doesn't work with 720

Satracer, can you please clarify a bit about waiting a few months? Are you talking to us Pioneer (model 1020) AVR owners who can't get ESPN3D?

Does this have anything to do with that?

#33 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:31 PM

Now this is just a theory, I have no idea if I am right, or if this is what SR is talking about.

I believe ESPN is in the process of upgrading their equipment to support 1080p broadcast. While I doubt that DirecTV or anyone else will actually carry their channels in 1080p, this upgrade may make it possible for ESPN to change their 3D channel over to 1080i, which would then take care of your problem.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#34 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:38 PM

Now this is just a theory, I have no idea if I am right, or if this is what SR is talking about.

I believe ESPN is in the process of upgrading their equipment to support 1080p broadcast. While I doubt that DirecTV or anyone else will actually carry their channels in 1080p, this upgrade may make it possible for ESPN to change their 3D channel over to 1080i, which would then take care of your problem.

Well I appreciate your theory- it helps to keep me optimistic. On a related note, I saw Sixto's post that ESPN 3D was transitioning next week to a full time channel. I was hoping that would also bring about our fix, but it doesn't sound like there will be any linkage between that and the AVR issue.

#35 OFFLINE   Bigwayne13

Bigwayne13

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:12 AM

Anyone else have ESPN 3d disappear from the guide. It was there last night, and this morning its gone. :confused:

#36 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,696 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:39 AM

Anyone else have ESPN 3d disappear from the guide. It was there last night, and this morning its gone. :confused:

Same here - and I just started looking into what I need for my Mitsubishi to get 3D. I was curious as to what is coming up for programming.

I found this at the ESPN site: http://espn.go.com/3d/schedule.html

D* might be moving the channel?

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#37 OFFLINE   Dr_J

Dr_J

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:35 PM

Gone from my guide, too. Maybe it will be reincarnated in a form that supports 1080i broadcasts and older "3D ready" receivers like mine.

#38 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:21 PM

Gone from my guide, too. Maybe it will be reincarnated in a form that supports 1080i broadcasts and older "3D ready" receivers like mine.

I was hoping that too, but Sixto believes the bandwidth has already been allocated. I think that means we'd see more bw if it was going to be 1080i. But that could always happen later.

#39 OFFLINE   keithmerr

keithmerr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:21 PM

espn 3d gone from my guide also. called support and they said that my dish needed realigning. support folks were jerks and accused me of not having my tv set up correctly. well, the other 3d channels work but the tec still thinks my cables are incorrect.

#40 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,021 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:33 PM

espn 3d gone from my guide also. called support and they said that my dish needed realigning. support folks were jerks and accused me of not having my tv set up correctly. well, the other 3d channels work but the tec still thinks my cables are incorrect.

It's going full time tomorrow, so hopefully it'll be back.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...