Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What does DIRECTV's Protection Plan cover?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:22 PM

And the dish realignment after roof replacement seems hit or miss. Some people say it was covered and others have said they got charged the $50...

That is clearly NOT covered, nor is anything caused by a customer modification (customer messed with the dish, moved a receiver to another room, got a new TV and can't hook up the receiver to it right, etc.). The PP expressly does not cover customer-caused issues.

Sure, a CSR may occasionally waive the fee, but there should be no expectation of this happening. DirecTV isn't responsible for you removing your dish to re-roof your house. The $50 service fee should be considered a part of the cost of the new roof.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,237 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:34 PM

That is clearly NOT covered, nor is anything caused by a customer modification (customer messed with the dish, moved a receiver to another room, got a new TV and can't hook up the receiver to it right, etc.). The PP expressly does not cover customer-caused issues.

Sure, a CSR may occasionally waive the fee, but there should be no expectation of this happening. DirecTV isn't responsible for you removing your dish to re-roof your house. The $50 service fee should be considered a part of the cost of the new roof.

Yup. When I had my roof replaced at my old house due to hail damage, I had the insurance agent account for the cost of the reinstallation of the dish in my claim.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#23 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:34 AM

If you have the PP and an HD-DVR needs replacement will they send a tech out to swap them out if you request it?
T

#24 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:14 AM

If you have the PP and an HD-DVR needs replacement will they send a tech out to swap them out if you request it?

They did for me just last week on two receivers, both HR21-700's.

Both had failed within a two week time frame. When I called I requested HR24's. Of course your miles may vary... but in my case I got a truck roll the next morning with two brand new HR24's.

I swear by the protection plan myself.
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#25 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,517 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:24 AM

In my case I didn't have to request a tech being sent out. My HR22-100 bought the farm shortly after the 0x4a6 update (again, not saying update was the cause, just a starting point for a series of problems). DirecTV sent me a replacement HR22-100. 48 hours after installation same problems returned. They sent out a tech who swapped out the LNB, Switch, and DVR with a HR24-500. Protection Plan covered everything.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#26 OFFLINE   RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv

Icon

• Registered
  • 632 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:24 AM

I think it is very hit or miss. When I had my house resided, my dish, which is mounted on the side of the house, was taken down by the contractor and re installed that day. Despite being very careful to mark things and making sure the mount was plumb, etc, the readings on other than the 101 sat were very low. At the time I did not have the PP. When I called D* to ask for someone to come out the CSR gave me two choices: 1) they would send someone "when they had the time" and I would have to pay $75 for the service call, or 2) I could sign up for the PP and they would have someone there the next day and not charge me. I chose option #2, and someone was here at 8 am the next morning.

Now maybe he was trying to make me buy the PP and maybe that gives a CSR some bennies, but he certainly made it sound like any time in needed my dish re aligned for WHATEVER reason, they would have some there to fix it at no charge.

SMK

#27 OFFLINE   txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:31 AM

Had my roof replaced this year. Dish reallignment was not covered by the Protection plan. I lucked out though in that the installer was very careful removing and putting back the dish. I was able to call back and cancel my reallignment appointment and get my $50 back.

#28 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:22 AM

They did for me just last week on two receivers, both HR21-700's.

Both had failed within a two week time frame. When I called I requested HR24's. Of course your miles may vary... but in my case I got a truck roll the next morning with two brand new HR24's.

I swear by the protection plan myself.

I may go ahead and sign up. I had a tech out yesterday and he was outstanding he checked my system out from A to Z. Also it seems that while there are no guarantees the odds of getting a HR24 if you have a problem are better dealing with a tech vs whatever they ship, plus the quick service the PP provides.
T

#29 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:21 AM

Had my roof replaced this year. Dish reallignment was not covered by the Protection plan. I lucked out though in that the installer was very careful removing and putting back the dish. I was able to call back and cancel my reallignment appointment and get my $50 back.

different senario here, roof replaced, dish was out of alignment, I called they had me read off the numbers for the alignment, dispatched a tech at no charge.

spam firewall