Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Poll: Cable Type Audio Quality

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: (3' to 9') Which type audio cable do you use? Which produces the best audio? (61 member(s) have cast votes)

(3' to 9') Which type audio cable do you use? Which produces the best audio?

1. HDMI Cable (13 votes [21.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.31%

2. Digital Coaxial Audio Cable (6 votes [9.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.84%

3. Digital Optical Audio Cable (17 votes [27.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.87%

4. HDMI produces the best audio (4 votes [6.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.56%

5. Digital Coaxial produces the best audio (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Digital Optical produces the best audio (1 votes [1.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.64%

7. Digital Coaxial & Optical are equal (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Digital Coaxial & HDMI are equal (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Digital Optical & HDMI are equal (3 votes [4.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.92%

10. All three types are equal (17 votes [27.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.87%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:29 AM

Since various audio cables are used with DTV HD-DVR's a poll may be helpful.

Edited by 1953, 20 June 2011 - 06:57 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:30 AM

It is true that HDMI 1.3a can support audio formats that other cables can't but most people don't have the audio systems to support 7.1 lossless sound. Personally I use HDMI audio on 1 TV and optical audio cables on the other 2. The two with optical have surround sound systems and the HDMI audio TV has no such sound system. I am very impressed with what optical can still do and am not yet too worried about fully migrating to HDMI for audio just yet.

Kevin
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:53 AM

For DVR's, there's really no difference.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#4 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,323 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:04 AM

I use them all and honestly, I can't tell the difference. I know HDMI has the capability for higher quality (lossless) audio but I just can't hear the difference.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#5 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:07 AM

For DVR's, there's really no difference.

That seems to be the case with my 922. The 622 I had prior to the 922 did have some audio drop outs on HDMI that the optical did not. I vaguely recall several others had the problem back then. My 922 is currently HDMI only to my A/V with nary a problem.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#6 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:36 AM

That seems to be the case with my 922. The 622 I had prior to the 922 did have some audio drop outs on HDMI that the optical did not. I vaguely recall several others had the problem back then. My 922 is currently HDMI only to my A/V with nary a problem.

My Denon 987 had HDMI audio drop out with two 20-700's. With our brand new 24-500 we had multiple instances of total audio loss in the first two weeks. That is why I connected the HDMI directly to the HDTV and ran opital audio to the Denon AVR 987.

#7 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:36 PM

Assuming that you're using a digital audio format that all are capable of, then HDMI, optical, and coaxial will be idential; these interfaces just pass on numbers. The "quality" comes from the quality of the DAC (digital to analog converter) in the equipment you're using, and high-quality DACs are cheap and plentiful these days. No matter how the numbers reach the DAC, if the numbers are the same, the sound will be the same.

As several others have mentioned, HDMI supports higher-bitrate and even lossless multichannel audio formats that coaxial and optical do not, so if your source has those formats available, than HDMI has a real advantage over coaxial and optical.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#8 OFFLINE   Sackchamp56

Sackchamp56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:13 PM

Assuming that you're using a digital audio format that all are capable of, then HDMI, optical, and coaxial will be idential; these interfaces just pass on numbers. The "quality" comes from the quality of the DAC (digital to analog converter) in the equipment you're using, and high-quality DACs are cheap and plentiful these days. No matter how the numbers reach the DAC, if the numbers are the same, the sound will be the same.

As several others have mentioned, HDMI supports higher-bitrate and even lossless multichannel audio formats that coaxial and optical do not, so if your source has those formats available, than HDMI has a real advantage over coaxial and optical.

Exactly.

#9 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,724 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:09 AM

For a DVR or any device not capable of HD audio streams there simply is no difference. I use all 3 types of digital audio connections. I use HDMI primarily however as its just less wire to manage.

There is s definite improvement on the HD audio streams to my ear however YMMV:p

Don "it's all still a bit too complex for the average consumer" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#10 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:49 AM

Forgot to mention that I use HDMI on my Blu-Ray & HD-DVD for each formats superior audio. Even though I use an optical on my HD-DVR an digital coaxial would deliver equal quality.

No telling what the future holds for us. ;)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...