Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Pausing live TV and watching in another room

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bill Fletcher

Bill Fletcher

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:42 AM

Thinking about going back to Directv. I currently have a local fiber service that uses a central receiver for storage. The TV's hooked up to the other receivers can not pause live TV and have no buffers. The system only allows you to record two HD channels and two SD at a time. What I used to have with Directv was three HD DVRs.

I've seen those new commercials though that Directv has where you can pause live TV and watch in another room. Have they gone to a "central receiver" type system? Can you still get teh system the "old" way?

Thanks. Bill

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:50 AM

Thinking about going back to Directv. I currently have a local fiber service that uses a central receiver for storage. The TV's hooked up to the other receivers can not pause live TV and have no buffers. The system only allows you to record two HD channels and two SD at a time. What I used to have with Directv was three HD DVRs.

I've seen those new commercials though that Directv has where you can pause live TV and watch in another room. Have they gone to a "central receiver" type system? Can you still get teh system the "old" way?

Thanks. Bill

It's not "Live TV" you can pause and then resume in another room, it's recordings. Also, you don't actually pause in one room and resume in another, you stop in one room and resume in another.

All of the recordings on all of your HD DVR's, should you have more than one, are seen by all HD Receivers and HD DVR's in your household should you choose to sign up for "Whole Home DVR".

As for how many recordings you can have going at any time that's 2 per DVR regardless of the recordings being HD or SD. If you choose to have 3 HD DVR's in your setup you can record 6 things at once.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:07 PM

Whole connected Home
HDDVR can record two Different channels at the same time as well as Downloading a third from the internet-while watching a recorded show on the TV it is connected too.

HDDVR can only Stream one show to ONE HD RECEIVER at A time

The more HDDVR's you have the more Content you can record and or download you can stream to additional HD receivers.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#4 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,853 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:08 PM

There is the HR34 with RVU that's due out in the future that might have the pause live TV. It's a receiver with five tuners that transmit to clients in different rooms in your home.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#5 OFFLINE   Bill Fletcher

Bill Fletcher

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:50 PM

Cool! Thanks guys.

#6 OFFLINE   PersMD

PersMD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:04 PM

I can start a recording in one room, stop it and resume it in another room. But my home network (which is hard-wired ethernet) does not allow multiple simultaneous access to an individual HDDVR. for instance if I'm accessing a recording on the basement HDDVR from the Sun room, I am denied access to the basement HDDVR from the bedroom. A red circle with a white minus sign through it shows up next to the recordings which are denied access.

The HDDVRs don't act like true servers which would allow simultaneous access from multiple HDDVRs. But you can start a show in one room, and finish it in another. Even with a live show you can press record before leaving the first room, then pick up where you left off in the new room. And if you're less than 90 minutes into the live show, you'll have the whole show recorded.
I feel a lot more like I do now, than I did when I first got here!

#7 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:34 PM

I can start a recording in one room, stop it and resume it in another room. But my home network (which is hard-wired ethernet) does not allow multiple simultaneous access to an individual HDDVR. for instance if I'm accessing a recording on the basement HDDVR from the Sun room, I am denied access to the basement HDDVR from the bedroom. A red circle with a white minus sign through it shows up next to the recordings which are denied access.

The HDDVRs don't act like true servers which would allow simultaneous access from multiple HDDVRs. But you can start a show in one room, and finish it in another. Even with a live show you can press record before leaving the first room, then pick up where you left off in the new room. And if you're less than 90 minutes into the live show, you'll have the whole show recorded.

You have to actually hit Stop or Exit before you can watch in another room. Once you do that it is now accessable to all the other clients on your network.

As far as it being called a server, it is doing other network tasks. It only allows access to recordings to a single client. Besides, if not a server then what else would you call it. Server makes the most sense. :grin:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#8 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:39 PM

I can start a recording in one room, stop it and resume it in another room. But my home network (which is hard-wired ethernet) does not allow multiple simultaneous access to an individual HDDVR. for instance if I'm accessing a recording on the basement HDDVR from the Sun room, I am denied access to the basement HDDVR from the bedroom. A red circle o with a white minus sign through it shows up next to the recordings which are denied access.

And it's not a limitation due to you being hard-wired. As Mike stated, you can only stream to one remote receiver at a time from your serving DVR. As long as the DVR is streaming to a remote receiver, the red stop sign will appear next to any recordings on that DVR when viewed from another receiver/DVR.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#9 OFFLINE   PersMD

PersMD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:56 AM

And it's not a limitation due to you being hard-wired. As Mike stated, you can only stream to one remote receiver at a time from your serving DVR. As long as the DVR is streaming to a remote receiver, the red stop sign will appear next to any recordings on that DVR when viewed from another receiver/DVR.

- Merg

Yes, I understand that. I can even play a recording on the serving DVR, and simulutaneously view the same recording on a remote DVR at different places in the recording if desired. But it only allows one remote access to the serving DVRs playlist at a time. So that tells me that there is true "file" sharing to one remote at a time, but no multi threading (or whatever the proper terminology). It's not a big deal to me. I'm probably the only one in the house that takes a show with me when I go to another room...
I feel a lot more like I do now, than I did when I first got here!

spam firewall