Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Panasonic TCP65VT30 with VIP622, Paladia channel does not fit screen

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mikeyjf

mikeyjf

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:11 PM

I bought a new Panasonic TCP65VT30 which was delivered last Friday to replace Mits DLP that died.
Simple swap, put the new one where the old one was.
I noticed as I am scrolling around the Dish HD channels at how good or bad the channels looked.
When I got to Palladia channel I noticed a white line running the full height of the screen on the left side that I hadnt noticed up to that point on any other channels.
I jumped up to look at this white line close up and low and behold its 1/2" in from the edge of the plasma panel.
The strange thing is that the commercials come on and the image goes to full screen.
Then it jumps back to reveal this white pixel line when the program comes back on.
It does something similar at the top but periodically it fluctuates like its interference.
I alsi see that same interference at the top on HDNEt and HDnet movies.
This is the 3rd Panasonic plasma in the house, granted its the biggest but I have never seen that on any of the others.
Connections to all are with HDMI cables.
I'm curious if anyone has seen something similar.

Thanks all

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:21 PM

I don't normally watch Palladia, but I just checked on our 37" Sharp LCD in the bedroom and I've got a white edge on the left also. Seems to be a problem with Palladia. Man that channel is loud!

#3 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,960 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:25 PM

It's the same on DirecTV, too.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#4 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:33 PM

Xfinity cable has the white bar as well.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#5 OFFLINE   mikeyjf

mikeyjf

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:59 PM

Klang, you checked Palladia out when Iron Maiden concert was playing. That made me laugh.
I find it interesting that it comes over that way on all tv sat/cable suppliers
Does anyone see the interference across the top of the screen, that may only appear on a larger screen, not sure.
I have the 622 that is exhibiting this problem also connected to a Panny Plasma upstairs above the 65" and its connected via component and optical audio and the picture is perfect.
Not sure what to do about this.

#6 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:11 PM

Most TVs cut off a few lines on all sides of the picture (overscan) to eliminate the "noise" (for lack of a better term) that you're seeing. What aspect ratio format options does the new TV have? Usually you only will see that "noise" if it's set to a "dot-by-dot" (or something similar) setting (displays every single pixel in the transmission). Try looking for a "normal" setting.

#7 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:16 PM

Most TVs cut off a few lines on all sides of the picture (overscan) to eliminate the "noise" (for lack of a better term) that you're seeing. What aspect ratio format options does the new TV have? Usually you only will see that "noise" if it's set to a "dot-by-dot" (or something similar) setting (displays every single pixel in the transmission). Try looking for a "normal" setting.

I was thinking the same thing, if you have the choice between dot-by-dot or Full, or something else to that effect try the other settings.

#8 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 677 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:31 PM

thank viacom! they're so bad about such stuff!

#9 OFFLINE   mikeyjf

mikeyjf

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:34 AM

The new Panasonic is a 65" 16:9 aspect ratio.

#10 ONLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:47 AM

Almost every TV can be set to (simulate) overscan if it bugs you. Some content providers ASSume all sets naturally overscan like most did 30 years ago.

#11 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:15 AM

Looks like on that set under Picture Settings there is a section called Aspect Adjustments that allows you to fiddle with the overscan.

#12 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,416 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:25 AM

I have a TC-P65VT25 and the adjustments are Size 1 and Size 2. The settings are under "aspect adjustments" on the Picture menu. I highly recommend just accepting the noise, because you get a "correct" pixel for pixel match.
Great TV:)
Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" A.Einstein

#13 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,416 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:29 AM

Just remembered that there are two settings - one for an HD picture, and one for SD, and the settings should be reversed for the same effect on both HD and SD. ie: I want the full picture, noise and all, and my settings are Size 2 for HD and Size 1 for SD.
Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" A.Einstein

#14 OFFLINE   mikeyjf

mikeyjf

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:32 PM

got it, thanks everyone who helped.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...