Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sources: 48 percent share for players

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:12 PM

Proposed CBA Details

Details of a proposed collective bargaining agreement being pitched to NFL owners Tuesday, according to sources:

• Players get 48 percent of "all revenue," without extra $1-billion-plus off top that previously had been requested by owners.

• Players' share will never dip below 46.5 percent, under new formula being negotiated.

• Teams required to spend minimum 90-93 percent of the salary cap.

• Rookie wage scale part of deal but still being "tweaked."

• 18-game regular season designated only as negotiable item and at no point is mandated in deal.

New 16-game Thursday night TV package beginning in 2012.

• Owners still will get some expense credits that will allow funding for new stadiums.

• Retirees to benefit from improved health care, pension benefits as revenue projected to double to $18 million by 2016.

http://sports.espn.g...ce=NFLHeadlines

IMO there goes the value of Sunday Ticket if that happens....
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,961 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:17 PM

http://sports.espn.g...ce=NFLHeadlines

IMO there goes the value of Sunday Ticket if that happens....

8 more free games throws away ST's value? I highly disagree.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:38 PM

Does anyone find it odd that there is a collective bargaining agreement for a union that doesn't exist? :scratchin

(Yeah, I understand the politics of this, but it just seems "wrong" in some respects .. Regardless, I'm all for an end to the current situation).
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:49 PM

Does anyone find it odd that there is a collective bargaining agreement for a union that doesn't exist? :scratchin

(Yeah, I understand the politics of this, but it just seems "wrong" in some respects .. Regardless, I'm all for an end to the current situation).

If they don't get a deal done -THE NFL-Will lose it's anti-trust Status--SO a deal will be done no matter at what cost.

With 8 more games on thursday--Sunday ticket is done for me- maybe others wish to pony up-but I'm done.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#5 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:01 PM

Oh I'll still pony up I'm just saying that with Sunday Night, Monday Night, Thursday Night and Saturday Night (Starting Thanksgiving) it's just a bit diluted IMO.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:13 PM

That's what I keep thinking... The union supposedly disbanded, and yet their Union Rep keeps showing up to negotiations... It seems to me that legally speaking, it would be hard to argue they disbanded the NFLPA if the same union rep keeps being responsible for negotiating!

That said...

I'm curious on a couple of things.

I wondered... if they were getting 60% before, but not on the first billion... how much do the lose on that portion dropping to 48% and does 48% of the billion make up for that loss? IF not, then that would seem to be a sticking point in the negotiations.

I'm personally ok with 16 games... I don't need 18 games, and I understand why many players don't want them. I would say, though, that IF they go 18, then they need to cut the pre-season games in half... IF they don't go 18, then they need to stop requiring people to purchase pre-season tickets in order to be eligible for regular season packages.

I also would like to see a rookie scale... BUT I wish they would take care of proven veterans. In the olden days of sports, nobody was paid well... then there came a time where they started to pay people well... but the dynamic is all screwed up.

You know, as a player, you will be cut as soon as you can't perform OR a new rookie comes aboard who can... and at the same time it is hard to argue you are worth mega-millions when you haven't proven it on the field.

I wish NFL teams would look at their player salaries properly...

1. Rookie wage scale to ensure they get something for coming into the league, and higher draft picks can get more than lower draft picks.

2. Performance based raises where your salary isn't a bonus because you achieve goals, but rather IF you perform on the field, you get paid more the next season.

3. Ultimately super-stars who have performed in the past but weren't paid much those early years... get paid back in their later years where performance is down.

Stop looking at it like "we can't pay the old guy not to play" and look at it like "we got a deal those first 5 years, so now we are paying you what you really earned back then."

Also they need to beef up the retirement medical packages, and include retroactively the older already-retired players who have problems.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...