Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Delay/white screen when changing channels

hopper

• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

#41 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,084 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:54 PM

Here is the behavior for all my devices:

- Hit the power button on remote
- DVR/receiver powers on
- Channel was tuned to say 360 (Fox News)
- channel info is displayed
- channel is displayed immediately
- channel info times out
- Using remote I enter 501 (HBO)
- Screen blanks
- After about ten seconds info bar appears with correct info
- Info bar times out after some number of seconds
- Screen is still black
- wait ... nothing will happen for at least 90 seconds (that is the longest i've waited)
- At this point i usually hit the channel up or down button, and the next channel will appear immediately
- I can then go back to 501 and the channel appears as expected
- From this point on I have no issues until I "power off" the DVR/receiver (hit the power button on the remote)

Sounds about right for what I'm seeing, too.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   A_Bear

A_Bear

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:41 PM

this is actually a known issue that we have, when i find what i am looking for i will post the temp. resolution that we have

#43 OFFLINE   Boobie1998

Boobie1998

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:16 PM

Just to clarify - Is the sluggishness even after the initial channel change or is it most/every channel change?

My HR24-100 is ridiculously slow on the first change, but is fine after that. I cleared the VRAM and reset it yesterday and today was a little better.

For me it's on most/every channel. I've reset 3 times today already. :-(

#44 OFFLINE   A_Bear

A_Bear

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:33 PM

Sorry, i dont have anything tonight, ill find it tomorrow for you guys, we were just busy tonight and no downtime to post :nono:

#45 OFFLINE   BigRedFan

BigRedFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:37 PM

Same for me on all my DVR receivers.... I've been turning off the power on the receivers thinking it was a re-boot that was needed, but it keeps happening---- long long blank screens when inputting channel changes....

If I hadn't come here I'd be still turning the power on and off trying to get this fixed.... Definitely a problem they need to fix soon or their CSR's will be very busy handling tons of service calls on this....

Thanks much to the thread starter for saving our sanity !....

#46 OFFLINE   Boobie1998

Boobie1998

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:04 PM

Sorry, i dont have anything tonight, ill find it tomorrow for you guys, we were just busy tonight and no downtime to post :nono:

I understand and thank you for keeping us posted on what the problem is and hopefully how to fix it.

#47 OFFLINE   Cagpop

Cagpop

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:25 PM

Same sluggishness here.

#48 OFFLINE   rvernier

rvernier

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:00 AM

+1 here too. HR23-700

The worst is this:

Type in channel 2-2-9-enter.

Then, it is so sluggish, it changes to channel 2, then channel 2 again, and then to channel 9. Not fun.

#49 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 907 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:25 AM

Yep channel changes are slower than Oprah getting up from a Thanksgiving dinner table. :(

#50 OFFLINE   QuickDrop

QuickDrop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:24 AM

+1 here too. HR23-700

The worst is this:

Then, it is so sluggish, it changes to channel 2, then channel 2 again, and then to channel 9. Not fun.

I'm having similar problems. It comes and goes. Everything will work fine and then there is a twenty minute period that makes it nearly impossible to switch between channels effectively. If there is something I really want to watch "live," I now switch there five minutes early just to be sure I can watch it from the start.

#51 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,770 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:00 AM

FWIW, the problem for me only exists with a HR23 that's hooked up to my home theater through a Yamaha receiver and a Panasonic plasma.

A HR20-700 that runs my kitchen system, and which is hooked up straight to the TV, doesn't exhibit the problem, nor does a H23 in my bedroom. All connections are HDMI.

Carl, same here, my HR20-700 seems fine, while my HR24-200 is slower.

#52 OFFLINE   mthompso105

mthompso105

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:06 AM

I can tell you what worked for me (so far, it's been 2 days now), a double reboot. To be exact I reset (from menu) and within a minute of it coming back up I reset again. That clears out guide data and maybe some other stuff. Now I am back to normal sluggishness.
HTH,
Mike

#53 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:10 AM

+1 here too. HR23-700

The worst is this:

After following this thread for several days and trying to correlate what people are saying with what I see happening with my DVRs, I think that there are actually a few different issues that people are talking about. Perhaps, they are related. Perhaps, not. I really don't know.

First, there is the issue of the long delay that seems to come with the first channel change after the DVR has been powered up. That is the delay that can last for up to 30 seconds. For my DVRs, this behavior started after the last software update. Perhaps, that is coincidence. I have no idea whether or not that is the case.

After that first channel change following powering up the DVR, many further channel changes will happen in a normal amount of time, but there are occasional further channel changes that can take from about 6 to 12 seconds. These seem to happen randomly. Again, I have no idea whether these random shorter delays are related to the especially long delay with the first channel change after powering up. Like with the first change delay, these random later delays started on my DVRs after the last software update.

Then, there is also the issue explained in the post that I quoted above. With this issue, entering a channel, such as the 2-4-5, might result in the tuner only recognizing the 2 and tuning to channel 2. Then, a few seconds later, it might try to tune to channel 4 or to channel 45. This behavior seems to occur randomly, and it might last for a few minutes. I doubt that this issue is related to the first 2 because I've seen this issue randomly appearing for over a year.

In the case of my DVRs, at least, doing things like rebooting and clearing out the VRAM may have led to some marginal improvement with the overall sluggishness of response performance, but nothing that I've tried has changed in any way that long first channel change delay.

Edited by lesz, 24 June 2011 - 07:23 AM.

#54 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,770 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:12 AM

I can tell you what worked for me (so far, it's been 2 days now), a double reboot. To be exact I reset (from menu) and within a minute of it coming back up I reset again. That clears out guide data and maybe some other stuff. Now I am back to normal sluggishness.
HTH,
Mike

See how long that lasts and report back.

#55 OFFLINE   mthompso105

mthompso105

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:18 AM

Maybe I was not clear, I did the double reset from the menu 2 days ago (ok, 46 hrs ago) and so far so good.

#56 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:29 AM

Maybe I was not clear, I did the double reset from the menu 2 days ago (ok, 46 hrs ago) and so far so good.

the guide still may not be fully populated, would see how it is after 4-5 days.
if so this may be a solution.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#57 OFFLINE   ScottP

ScottP

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:33 AM

I think this may have hit on the problem: some corrupt guide data may have been sent. This morning, when I turned on my HR24, it of course was blank for awhile. Then when I changed the channel, it was blank again. I pulled up the info banner and it contained the new channel and program name, but still had the description of the previous channel's program. That sounds like guide data corruption to me. It also helps explain why everybody seems to have started having problems at about the same time. I'm going to do the double reboot when I get home.

#58 OFFLINE   jediphish

jediphish

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:34 AM

I'm having the same "very slow" issue with my lone Directv HD-DVR (HR21-100) connected directly to my TV via HDMI and operated with the Directv remote in IR mode. Channel changes are taking forever - the light on the front panel doesn't register when I've pressed a remote button when this "sluggishness" happens, and I end up pressing several commands trying to get it to work. Eventually the receiver responds and it then goes through most of the remote buttons sent, adding to the delay.

This only started happening about 3 or 4 days ago.

I know there is something up with the receiver or the software. It's not my remote, it's not "normal" sluggishness.

my receiver reset itself 2 nights ago (after the sluggishness began) due to a brief power outage, so it's already been "reset" once and that did nothing to change the situation. Why the need for a "double" reboot?

#59 OFFLINE   Deftones

Deftones

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:34 AM

I thought I was the only one having this problem, too. I had a delay the other day when I changed the channel where it took 15 seconds to display the channel.

#60 OFFLINE   ScottP

ScottP

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:50 AM

Why the need for a "double" reboot?

The double reboot clears the guide data and starts reloading it again.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...