Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Delay/white screen when changing channels

hopper

• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,867 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:00 AM

FWIW, the problem for me only exists with a HR23 that's hooked up to my home theater through a Yamaha receiver and a Panasonic plasma.

A HR20-700 that runs my kitchen system, and which is hooked up straight to the TV, doesn't exhibit the problem, nor does a H23 in my bedroom. All connections are HDMI.

Carl, same here, my HR20-700 seems fine, while my HR24-200 is slower.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   mthompso105

mthompso105

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:06 AM

I can tell you what worked for me (so far, it's been 2 days now), a double reboot. To be exact I reset (from menu) and within a minute of it coming back up I reset again. That clears out guide data and maybe some other stuff. Now I am back to normal sluggishness.
HTH,
Mike

#53 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:10 AM

+1 here too. HR23-700

The worst is this:

Type in channel 2-2-9-enter.

Then, it is so sluggish, it changes to channel 2, then channel 2 again, and then to channel 9. Not fun.

After following this thread for several days and trying to correlate what people are saying with what I see happening with my DVRs, I think that there are actually a few different issues that people are talking about. Perhaps, they are related. Perhaps, not. I really don't know.

First, there is the issue of the long delay that seems to come with the first channel change after the DVR has been powered up. That is the delay that can last for up to 30 seconds. For my DVRs, this behavior started after the last software update. Perhaps, that is coincidence. I have no idea whether or not that is the case.

After that first channel change following powering up the DVR, many further channel changes will happen in a normal amount of time, but there are occasional further channel changes that can take from about 6 to 12 seconds. These seem to happen randomly. Again, I have no idea whether these random shorter delays are related to the especially long delay with the first channel change after powering up. Like with the first change delay, these random later delays started on my DVRs after the last software update.

Then, there is also the issue explained in the post that I quoted above. With this issue, entering a channel, such as the 2-4-5, might result in the tuner only recognizing the 2 and tuning to channel 2. Then, a few seconds later, it might try to tune to channel 4 or to channel 45. This behavior seems to occur randomly, and it might last for a few minutes. I doubt that this issue is related to the first 2 because I've seen this issue randomly appearing for over a year.

In the case of my DVRs, at least, doing things like rebooting and clearing out the VRAM may have led to some marginal improvement with the overall sluggishness of response performance, but nothing that I've tried has changed in any way that long first channel change delay.

Edited by lesz, 24 June 2011 - 07:23 AM.

#54 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,867 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:12 AM

I can tell you what worked for me (so far, it's been 2 days now), a double reboot. To be exact I reset (from menu) and within a minute of it coming back up I reset again. That clears out guide data and maybe some other stuff. Now I am back to normal sluggishness.
HTH,
Mike

See how long that lasts and report back.

#55 OFFLINE   mthompso105

mthompso105

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:18 AM

Maybe I was not clear, I did the double reset from the menu 2 days ago (ok, 46 hrs ago) and so far so good.

#56 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:29 AM

Maybe I was not clear, I did the double reset from the menu 2 days ago (ok, 46 hrs ago) and so far so good.

the guide still may not be fully populated, would see how it is after 4-5 days.
if so this may be a solution.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#57 OFFLINE   ScottP

ScottP

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:33 AM

I think this may have hit on the problem: some corrupt guide data may have been sent. This morning, when I turned on my HR24, it of course was blank for awhile. Then when I changed the channel, it was blank again. I pulled up the info banner and it contained the new channel and program name, but still had the description of the previous channel's program. That sounds like guide data corruption to me. It also helps explain why everybody seems to have started having problems at about the same time. I'm going to do the double reboot when I get home.

#58 OFFLINE   jediphish

jediphish

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:34 AM

I'm having the same "very slow" issue with my lone Directv HD-DVR (HR21-100) connected directly to my TV via HDMI and operated with the Directv remote in IR mode. Channel changes are taking forever - the light on the front panel doesn't register when I've pressed a remote button when this "sluggishness" happens, and I end up pressing several commands trying to get it to work. Eventually the receiver responds and it then goes through most of the remote buttons sent, adding to the delay.

This only started happening about 3 or 4 days ago.

I know there is something up with the receiver or the software. It's not my remote, it's not "normal" sluggishness.

my receiver reset itself 2 nights ago (after the sluggishness began) due to a brief power outage, so it's already been "reset" once and that did nothing to change the situation. Why the need for a "double" reboot?

#59 OFFLINE   Deftones

Deftones

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:34 AM

I thought I was the only one having this problem, too. I had a delay the other day when I changed the channel where it took 15 seconds to display the channel.

#60 OFFLINE   ScottP

ScottP

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:50 AM

Why the need for a "double" reboot?

The double reboot clears the guide data and starts reloading it again.

#61 OFFLINE   jediphish

jediphish

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:59 AM

Just to be clear - does a "double reboot" involve anything specific? Must it be done once from the menu and then a RBR after? Is there a time limitation in between where if you wait too long, it's not considered a "second" reboot?

#62 OFFLINE   ScottP

ScottP

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:44 AM

Just to be clear - does a "double reboot" involve anything specific? Must it be done once from the menu and then a RBR after? Is there a time limitation in between where if you wait too long, it's not considered a "second" reboot?

I don't think it matters how you reset: red button, menu, or unplugging. Just reset, wait for picture and audio to return, and then reset again. I think twice in 30 minutes will reset guide data.

#63 OFFLINE   Skyboss

Skyboss

Icon

• Registered
  • 591 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:11 PM

I am seeing this on my HR24, but the screen is black instead of white.

Ditto. Its been a week now and its starting to tick me off. Gonna try the double re-boot.
List is getting short….FMC HD, ID HD, Sundance HD, and Encore HD Channels.

#64 OFFLINE   skihoodoo

skihoodoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:05 PM

I just got a call from directv
the call i got said there engineering department is aware of the problem and has ruled out it being customer hardware they are looking at a possible sat/signal problem

#65 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:24 PM

My intent was to be patient and to wait for some official word from DIRECTV as to a solution to the channel change delay issue; however, this evening, even after the first channel change, subsequent channel changes were also frustratingly slow, and navigating through the guide also was accompanied by response delays.

So, I figured that I might as well give the double restart a try. After doing so, things are clearly better. I have no idea whether the fix is temporary or whether the problems will reappear within some short period of time, but, for now, performance is much better than it had been before the two restarts.

#66 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:19 AM

My intent was to be patient and to wait for some official word from DIRECTV as to a solution to the channel change delay issue; however, this evening, even after the first channel change, subsequent channel changes were also frustratingly slow, and navigating through the guide also was accompanied by response delays.

So, I figured that I might as well give the double restart a try. After doing so, things are clearly better. I have no idea whether the fix is temporary or whether the problems will reappear within some short period of time, but, for now, performance is much better than it had been before the two restarts.

This is a follow up to my post above. While, after the double restart there was clearly an improvement in the delays, by the next morning, the delays were back to basically the same level that they were at before the double restart. Thus, in the case of my DVRs, at least, any improvement from doing the double restart was quite temporary.

#67 OFFLINE   mthompso105

mthompso105

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:31 AM

That is too bad, my double reset was 71 hrs ago and it is still much improved for me. I'm just happy my wife no longer notices the delay....

#68 OFFLINE   SIENGTOM

SIENGTOM

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:51 AM

Greeting folks! mthompso105, I'm going to follow your lead and perform the double reset. We have had this issue with our 21 as well. I'll report back. Thank you to everyone for helping us know that "we are not alone"!!!

#69 OFFLINE   alhurricane

alhurricane

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:56 PM

My HR 22 is atrociously slow on basically any remote request... changing channels, scrolling through the guide, etc. This is obviously a DirecTV problem given the number of complaints. When will we hear word on a resolution for the matter?

#70 OFFLINE   mohmike

mohmike

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:13 PM

Same problem here. HR24
Reset twice and cleared NVRAM.

We'll see what happens

#71 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:17 PM

I was just thinking, it's been a while since DirecTV broke something in the stream that screwed up almost everyone's DVRs. Good thing they fixed that!

#72 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:31 PM

:lol:

You make me wistful for the early days of the HR20, or remember the time there was bad guide data and everyone's DVR was as slow as molasses for a day? They had to centrally reboot every DVR in the country that afternoon to load in new guide data. When did that happen? Wasn't that a couple of years ago?

Ah, the good old days...

:rolleyes:
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#73 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:02 PM

You make me wistful for the early days of the HR20, or remember the time there was bad guide data and everyone's DVR was as slow as molasses for a day? They had to centrally reboot every DVR in the country that afternoon to load in new guide data. When did that happen? Wasn't that a couple of years ago?

There have been incidents since then where everyone's DVR just locked up, again needing a central reboot.

#74 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 390 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:06 PM

Having the same problem with my HR21. Attempting double reboot now.

#75 OFFLINE   SIENGTOM

SIENGTOM

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:30 PM

Performed the double reset. Seems it didn't resolve the issue. At first appeared good but as time went on the issues returned. I sure hope those code crunchers slapped a little mayo on their "bit sandwiches" before the took their first byte! We could sure use some relief out here.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...