Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

All my receivers are excruciatingly slow.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
346 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:39 AM

I've got 2 HR20s, an HR21 and an HR22. In the last week they are all taking 5 to 10 seconds to change channels. Could there be something going on with the switch causing them to need extra time to sort out channel location?
When news breaks...we fix it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:47 AM

I have a HR24-100 that's been horribly slow on the 1st channel change after turning it on...after that, it's fine. Do yours stay slow?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:58 AM

Try restarting them through the menus if you have not done so already.

I restart all 3 of mine virtually every weekend.

There is also a vram flash clear. go to channel 1, wait for channel to tune in, then hit, red, red, blue, blue, yellow, green. You should see a message on the screen that its cleared.

#4 OFFLINE   jal

jal

Icon

• Registered
  • 761 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:03 AM

Watching Directv has become a real pain. It takes 3 or 4 attempts just to get the receiver to tune to the correct channel. And, constantly having to clear the Vram and resetting the receiver is not a good solution to the problem. Anyone know what is really causing these issues?

#5 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:16 AM

My App has been "loading", with a 301, for the past 3 weeks. Have did the menu reset several times, plus restarting the modem a couple of times. Anyone know whats going on with this, or what I am doing wrong to fix it (HR24-500 & HR22-200 with MRV)??

#6 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:20 AM

My App has been "loading", with a 301, for the past 3 weeks. Have did the menu reset several times, plus restarting the modem a couple of times. Anyone know whats going on with this, or what I am doing wrong to fix it (HR24-500 & HR22-200 with MRV)??

When you run a system test on your receiver do all systems pass?
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#7 OFFLINE   Clemsole

Clemsole

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:21 AM

All of D* unites are slow and a pain in the ass. They would rather add items like the info bar garbage, wich also made them slower, that get some good programers and make them run at a good speed.

#8 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:50 AM

All of D* unites are slow and a pain in the ass. They would rather add items like the info bar garbage, wich also made them slower, that get some good programers and make them run at a good speed.

I gotta disagree with you a bit. My HR21-100 is very slow...painfully so at times, but my HR24, H24, and H25 are blindingly fast. I think that saying they’re all slow is a unfair as these three are anything but.

With that said, my HR21-100 and HR23 are very slow. I didn’t think the HR21 was that slow until I started using the HR24/H24 for everyday viewing. I now find it very difficult to operate the HR21 because I’m so used to the responsiveness of the faster receivers.

Who knows, maybe they’re working on speeding them up? :grin:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,504 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:04 AM

Watching Directv has become a real pain. It takes 3 or 4 attempts just to get the receiver to tune to the correct channel. And, constantly having to clear the Vram and resetting the receiver is not a good solution to the problem. Anyone know what is really causing these issues?

Do you use the DirecTV remote?

I think a lot of us can't wait until October and the new speedy GUI.

#10 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,907 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:25 AM

Does the problem persist when you change channels manually or just when using the remote? If it's just when using the remote check to see if the batteries need replacing. Also, clean the lense on the remote sensor on your receiver and the lense on the remote. If problem persists your receiver's remote sensor may be failing.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#11 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:44 AM

Be care full what you wish for :(

Rephrase to "hoping for the best" :lol:

Gee, every 3 month's a new software download is sent out and the site lights up with the "newest Download ate my D* box and now my cat is sterile" :lol:

Please Help :hurah:
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#12 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:45 AM

Be care full what you wish for :(

Rephrase to "hoping for the best" :lol:

Gee, every 3 month's a new software download is sent out and the site lights up with the "newest Download ate my D* box and now my cat is sterile" :lol:

Please Help :hurah:

The CEO has publicly said that the new user inferface is MUCH faster. Folks that have had a chance to actually see the new UI also have said that it's much faster. Here's hoping that what they're seeing actually translates to a faster UI once it does roll out in October.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#13 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:03 PM

The CEO has publicly said that the new user inferface is MUCH faster. Folks that have had a chance to actually see the new UI also have said that it's much faster. Here's hoping that what they're seeing actually translates to a faster UI once it does roll out in October.

Yeah! and no other CEO has ever over stated a Fact looking for more investment money $$ :lol:

MY COMMENT was be care full what you wish for you just may get it.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#14 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:37 PM

But, how will a faster user interface affect channel changing?
When news breaks...we fix it.

#15 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:39 PM

Yes, all systems do pass.

#16 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,504 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:07 PM

But, how will a faster user interface affect channel changing?

Channel changing can be a multitude of factors such as resolution changes or the remote. I never quite understood why my Harmony was faster entering numbers than the DirecTV remote until I saw how to disable the code being sent.

But I think the GUI will improve speed overall and ease a lot of the issues.

#17 OFFLINE   whatliesbeyond

whatliesbeyond

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:55 PM

I have a HR24-100 that's been horribly slow on the 1st channel change after turning it on...after that, it's fine. Do yours stay slow?

Something is definitely up here, since a number of people all around the country are experiencing this odd behavior on 1st channel change of the day. I think it might have to do with how satellite feeds are used by Directv during perceived "down" times (for the first time ever, my strength readings are now different on the two tuners for 103 at the time the problem arises, even though the cables, etc., are fine, and signal strength is good for 99, 110, 119).

Could this have something to do with the POV push, since the receiver might not want to interrupt a movie being pushed to the receiver until it reaches a certain point, or has otherwise completed some housecleaning on the hard drive so it can resume the download later?

I'm assuming the software tells the receiver it's okay to download, etc., when a number of hours have passed since the receiver last received input from the customer (i.e., overnight). But after the customer starts using the receiver again to change channels, etc., the receiver "lets go" of the 2nd sat feed (thereby speeding up channel changes) until the process starts all over that night.

#18 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,311 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:09 PM

The speedup I'd like to see is in the date the new GUI is implemented.
If it's working fast for the CEO right now why should we have to wait four months to see it ourselves? :confused:
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#19 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:23 PM

The speedup I'd like to see is in the date the new GUI is implemented.
If it's working fast for the CEO right now why should we have to wait four months to see it ourselves? :confused:

Guess they're still testing it.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#20 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:41 PM

I am seeing a tremendous slow down on 3 HR 20-700 boxes. I can literally wait up to 30 seconds for the process of typing in a number, waiting for the box to respond and actually viewing the channel. This is particualarly bad late at night. Haven't seen much of a problem on my HR24-500.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...