Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

No info available in guide

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   packerfan31

packerfan31

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:36 PM

Has anyone experienced this. I keep getting no info available in guide. Then I would chat with custemer service and they would fix the problem and then a few weeks later it would happen again.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,519 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:49 PM

Do you often power down your receiver or do a lot of check switches?

The typical cause of this problem (aside from not subscribing to locals) is not letting the guide build up.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 557 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:15 PM

Has anyone experienced this. I keep getting no info available in guide. Then I would chat with custemer service and they would fix the problem and then a few weeks later it would happen again.

What receiver model do you have? A check switch test does force the guide info to redownload, but it shouldn't be happening all the time.

I've seen it before where a customer changed their nightly update time to an hour later and the problem stopped occurring.

Matthew "Speedy" Gonzales
Social Media

Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 11a-10p MT.  Off: Weds/Sat/Sun.

#4 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 394 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:09 PM

It's been said that it's a sign of a failing hard drive. However, I don't believe that to be 100 percent correct. My 508 has been doing that for years and if it was a failing hard drive it would have failed by now. In my experience, here are the three most common scenarios.

One, using too many screens without closing previous ones. What I mean is and this is only to convey the point and not the actual steps, lets say you are watching Live TV and bring up the Guide. From the Guide you go to Search. From the Search you go to Schedule. From Schedule you check a Timer. From a Timer you go back to Live. From Live you check the Guide. Now you only see the current Guide information supplied directly from the Satellite. Advancing past the 2 hour mark and the Guide information is no longer available.

Two, you make a lot of changes to timers, similar to item one. The timer screens and the way that the receiver updates by going back and forth. Sometimes the receiver will go back and it will land on a fake screen, because it has no path back to anything real. Sometimes the total amount of events listed for all timers exceeds the available memory and leaks into places it has no business being in, resulting in displaying past, none related, information or plain garbage. Later when the Guide is checked, the Guide information is no longer available.

Three, a failed Guide update. I update the guide manually, so when the Guide update finishes, it's lost. What I mean is that the receiver goes through all the motions -- 5 minute wait and the progression gauge reaching 100 percent, but the download failed. Or, the update takes too long and the receiver times out before the guide can be completely downloaded. In either case, the old Guide information is no longer available.

Typically to "fix" these you need to restart the receiver. By restart I mean powering "off" the receiver with the remote, wait a few seconds and then back on again or by holding down the power button on the receiver to do a soft reset. Which is probably the only thing that was necessary during your chat with customer service to "fix" the problem. The restart allows the receiver to acquaint itself with the Guide information again. It's a bug in the software and I listed it as one of the 30 annoying bugs with this receiver. It's been like that, well, for years. :mad:

Edited by Blowgun, 25 June 2011 - 10:39 PM.

spam firewall