Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

storm issue I think

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HDTAXMAN

HDTAXMAN

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:56 AM

Atlanta had a nasty storm yesterday..I arrived home from out of town around midnight..a couple of my breakers had been tripped so I reset them..went to turn on TV..I have two HD receivers..one said "weak or no signal" and the other said something similar to "check signal cables"...I reset both boxes but could not get channel lineup or anything other than the blue screen with those messages..I am not sure if this is a DTV issue or if I need to check HDMI cables on both TV's or a combination of both..satellite dish still on roof and no branches or etc appear to have hit it..just wondering if the power flick may have caused the problem..since reset did not work, would my next bet be to disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cables to TV? Since I am getting the wek or no signal message, I am assuming I cannot check the transponder strength from my TV to see if viable? If these don't work, anyone know of a good tech for the Sandy Springs, Ga area :grin:..

Thanks..

Dale

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:01 AM

Could be a couple of things. Is this a swm setup? If so, try unplugging and repluggin the swm power inserter/power supply.

If that doesn't correct the problem, then it could be that the dish moved or the lnb has been blown out. In either of these later senarios, you should schedual a service call.

#3 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:04 AM

Since I am getting the wek or no signal message, I am assuming I cannot check the transponder strength from my TV to see if viable?

The signal strength screens should still work. If there is no signal, you would see 0's in all of the transponders. Problem could just be the dish was bumped or moved by the wind, and needs to be adjusted.

:)

#4 OFFLINE   HDTAXMAN

HDTAXMAN

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:06 AM

When I get home I will try that..I do have a SWM in the basement..did not want to get on the roof at 1:00 this morning :) so I will check the cables on the dish later this pm, check the SWM connections in the basement and reset the HDMI connections as well and see what happens.

Thanks

#5 OFFLINE   adamson

adamson

Godfather

• Registered
  • 518 posts
  • LocationN Central Florida

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:22 AM

Similar situation here and has been fixed, never have I had a lightning strike before but now I have.

R22 hdmi out fried

HR24 ethernet port fried

modem/router fried ports

103 odd dead signal/multiswitch took hit

1 of my two HR24's took the hit ok as did a H24

Directv tech was happy for prior troubleshooting and I received a new HR24 and multiswitch. Lightning strike was 6/18 and all fixed Monday 6/20.

#6 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:34 AM

"Weak or no signal" on a blue screen is a message from the TV and probably so is "check signal cables". Most likely the power interruption caused the TVs to go into their default startup mode and the default is set to a different input from the one that is connected to the DirecTV boxes.
Of course it's also possible that a lightning strike fried the HDMI board on the TVs, or the DirecTV boxes, or both.

#7 OFFLINE   HDTAXMAN

HDTAXMAN

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:50 AM

Thanks for that..I talked to the TV repair guy I use and he provided me a contact person locally that said the same thing..From what I gather, I simply need to confirm the input on the TV HDMI 1, 2, 3 etc. and then make sure it is set to the proper input for DTV? Or is the suggestion to also make sure that the DTV remote is set for the satellite and not TV itself? If I recall, there is a swith inthe middle of the remote at the top that could possibly need to be reset? They were on DTV this morning, but if I need to reset when I get home, not an issue.

Thanks for the comments..been helpful..a really good site..

#8 OFFLINE   tvengineerbill

tvengineerbill

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:11 AM

We had golf ball size hail in North Texas night before last. I re pointed my dish and I'm getting great signal on 101 (93+) but 99c sucks (20's and 30's). There are a couple nice dents in the dish. Oh well, it's probably time for a new one.

#9 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:04 PM

Thanks for that..I talked to the TV repair guy I use and he provided me a contact person locally that said the same thing..From what I gather, I simply need to confirm the input on the TV HDMI 1, 2, 3 etc. and then make sure it is set to the proper input for DTV? Or is the suggestion to also make sure that the DTV remote is set for the satellite and not TV itself? If I recall, there is a swith inthe middle of the remote at the top that could possibly need to be reset? They were on DTV this morning, but if I need to reset when I get home, not an issue.

Thanks for the comments..been helpful..a really good site..

Yes, just start by making sure (using the TV remote) that the TV is set to the proper input for DirecTV. Then, while you have the TV remote to hand, find the place in the TV menu where you can change the defaults so next time you lose power the TV will come back up on the correct input.
You should not need to do anything with the DirecTv remotes, once you have the TV on the correct input everything should work as before.

#10 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:16 PM

A couple of breakers tripped, is a sign of a lightning strike, really close.
Been there, that's how I know.

Lost a multiswitch, and a receiver due to it a number of years ago.

Hope you have the protection plan.

#11 OFFLINE   HDTAXMAN

HDTAXMAN

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:45 AM

Thanks for all the input yesterday. Had a local satellit guy come out and take a look..turns out it was a lightning strike, not direct but a tree near the house was hit and it arc to the dish..it actually tripped three breakers in the electrical box..turns out I had to replace the LNB as it was fried and the multiswitch as it was fired..cost about $75 to do that but needed to do so to see exactly the extent..replaced those two then began the task of seeing what else was at issue..turns out that 3 of the 4 D11's I have were killed off, the 4th okay since it was not being used and not hooked up..I also have a HR20 and HR21..both hooked to surge protectors..the surge protectors both tripped as well..the HR20, both B Band converters gone, tuner 1 shot, tuner 2 seems to work, but can't get anything through HDMI, had to hood up to component to see that much, so it is shot..HR21 works through component hookup, not HDMI..it appears to be the HDMI on the boxn ot the TV as a blu ray player I have works on the same HDMI input on the TV..that itself would not be an issue since there are three HDMI inputs on TV anyway..but the way, I see it I got 5 out of 6 boxes needing replacement..and nope, i did not have the protection plan, but DTV was pretty good about it..all my boxes are a few years old..I pay $6 a month for 12 month and I get all the new boxes, remotes, etc. at no cost..If I cancel within 12 months, I get hit for full cost of the new equipment..don't have a problem with this considering it is after the fact situation...Protection Plan rep was really nice guy, made sure that we covered all the units, types, etc. and we will see if that carries to the service tech coming out Monday with the new units..I also lost 2 TV's completely, a pump on my pool that was running and not sure what else went out..serves me right for goin gout of twon to a conference when a storm was brewing..anyway, I will say I was pretty pleased with DTV customer service yesterday..will follow up after the tech call on Monday..everyone have a great weekend..and stay away from the lightning..it puts a dent in the wallet :)

#12 OFFLINE   HDTAXMAN

HDTAXMAN

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:22 AM

DTV technician visits are always interesting..tech came out yeterday am around 10..call scheduled for between 8 am and 12 noon..he called first thing and was pretty much on time..had a work order showing I was due to have 3 standards and 2 HD DVRS replaced..I spent an hour and a half on phone with the Protection Plan tech going over everything and he wrote it up to ensure that the order specified what I was to have, etc...tech gets there and only has on HD DVR and 2 standards on the truck..had not checked the order to see what requirements were so with that in mind, the HD DVR was an HR24 to replace the HR20 so no complaints..hooked up the 2 standards and I think they are D12, not D11's as the old were..I was told that he might be able to find a tech to get other boxes but it could also be a few days before he might be able to do so..called DTV and they said that since I just signed up for the protection plan, I have to wait 30 days before any replacements can be had, this considering the tech read them the order that said I was due to replace the missing two boxes as well..tech did not have them and DTV told him 30 days, so I cna wait the 30 days for the additinal standard box since the tech also informed me that the second HD DVR (HR21) box would not be replaced. IT still works except for the fact that the lightning strike only ook out the HDMI connection within the DVR..since I can still connect through component to my TV, box still functions rpoeprly and they will not replace it..this differs from what protection plan tech told me but have not had a chance to call DTV today to discuss the outcome of the service call..I figured it would not go 100% smooth..I will sya that the tech was knowledgeable and a pretty friendly guy..his hands were apparently tied by Mastec as to what was on the truck and what he could do..I don't fault him..but now gotta spend some time on phone with DTV again and see what can be done..if it is 30 days then so be it, but at least they should have the courtesy of telling me up front..I can respect that a lot more than I can a bunch of customer happy BS!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...