Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I need help with recently purchased HR23-700

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   57413k

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:50 PM

Recently purchased a HR23-700 500gb Directv HD DVR box from craigslist for $40.
It only came with a remote, power plug and a white little box called DECA1MR0-01 (I have no idea what this box is for?)

Does this box (HR23-700) need a B-Band connector or a SWM power adapter if I am going to be using it with a SLIMLINE Dish with Multi-Satellite Ka/Ku LNBF (99,101,103,110,119 W Reception / Built-in Multi-Switch with 4 Outputs)?

What would my settings be in the settings screen.

I am only trying to get HD, not DVR.

Also it came with a Access card inside it, of course its dead, but do I need a new one? Or can directv re-activate this one?

Thanks!

Great Site.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,187 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:05 PM

All you need is the DVR and the remote. No B-band converter is required on the two cables running from the dish to the DVR.

It sounds like the whole setup is probably hotter than a two dollar pistol. You should confirm with DIRECTV that they will activate it before you go much further.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   57413k

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:16 PM

I don't understand?

You think its stolen?

I went to this ladies actual house to pick it up, just yesterday (so I know the address) and she let me inside to test power the unit.

Does Directv not activate there own branded boxes?

So for HD I don't need B-Band Converter or SWM?

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,969 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:30 PM

Now you must come to the lady again and ask firmly: is she paid for it more then $99 or it would be leased and you're SOL.

#5 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:33 PM

Pretty good chance that she 'thought' she owned it and sold it to you... She'll probably want it back in month or so when DirecTV charges her for it.

Most are leases - if the one you paid her for was owned then all you need is a new card from DirecTV to get it going.

The HR23s have different tuners so the band converters are not needed.

Good luck! As harsh said - call DirecTV before you go any further to see if you should even bother with it!

#6 OFFLINE   57413k

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:40 PM

Now you must come to the lady again and ask firmly: is she paid for it more then $99 or it would be leased and you're SOL.

Where can i call to verify?

#7 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:45 PM

Where can i call to verify?

Just call the usual number and ask for the 'Access card department'. They can tell if it is owned or leased and can send you a new card.

#8 OFFLINE   57413k

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:11 PM

Turns out its Leased, but the girl who sold it to me said they charged her for it already when her acct got cancelled.

So if directv got paid for it already why wont they activate it for me?

#9 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:13 PM

Turns out its Leased, but the girl who sold it to me said they charged her for it already when her acct got cancelled.

Nope - don't believe so. I guess it is worth a call but it would be a very rare thing for them to do. They'll make more money by not allowing it to be used again. Or at least not until it is returned and they can lease it to someone else....

#10 OFFLINE   57413k

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:34 PM

I guess i can part it out if she doesnt want to give me my money back, or i can harass/scare her since i know where she lives.... :mad:

Directv told me i can lease it from them, lol, BS, just to request that ID# when i call to get a box. Ya Right!

#11 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 442 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:38 PM

But if D* did indeed charge her for it, why would they continue to charge you for it?

Let's say that I refuse to return my leased receiver, and D* charges me for it. At that point, don't I have the right to sell it to another party. Sell it as an "owned" receiver?

Is it possible that D* simply hasn't processed the transaction that rendered the said receiver from "leased" to "owned"?
Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#12 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:53 PM

But if D* did indeed charge her for it, why would they continue to charge you for it?

Let's say that I refuse to return my leased receiver, and D* charges me for it. At that point, don't I have the right to sell it to another party. Sell it as an "owned" receiver?

Is it possible that D* simply hasn't processed the transaction that rendered the said receiver from "leased" to "owned"?

No - that's not the way it works. It is a win-win for DirecTV if someone doesn't send a receiver back.

They get to keep all the up front lease money plus the monthly fee that the original account holder spent plus charge them for not returning it. If they let someone else add it to their account that would cost them the $199 lease fee and they are not into giving away money!

Some would argue that the lease model DirecTV uses saves subs money... I'm more in the crowd of the lease model makes DirecTV a buckets full of money! Their only risk is fraud - they no doubt make much much more on lease fees and no-return fees than they give up when someone somehow screws them out of a receiver.

#13 OFFLINE   57413k

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:44 PM

I am gonna keep calling and escalating, and see if a manager can help me out, after all i am a paynig customer in great standing with there companym anyone have any pointers?

#14 OFFLINE   Relativity

Relativity

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:54 PM

Good luck with that, I think they are pretty strict when it comes to this. You might be able to get a free DVR out of it with a new 24 month contract if you're a long time customer but I doubt they'd activate "THAT" DVR to your account as an "owned" receiver.

#15 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:37 PM

57413k, I agree with the person upthread who said the original owner will want to get this DVR back. DirecTV may have charged her for not returning it but that is many hundreds of dollars ($479 sticks in my mind but I'm probably wrong about that figure). When the original owner sees her credit card statement, she will freak and want to do anything to eliminate that charge. By giving you your $40 back, she can at least return the DVR to DirecTV and get them to reverse the charge. And look on the bright side, 57413k. This way you'll get your $40 back. Otherwise, it's $40 down the drain. It doesn't make any difference how good a customer you've been or which manager you talk to. I just don't see them reactivating this receiver. It isn't in their interest.

Except to be nice to you, give me one reason they should.

They can get $200 from you to provide and activate a leased HR23-700. What is their incentive to activate this one?

DirecTV is not in business to be nice to their customers. They are in business to provide their customers equipment through the terms of their lease agreements. Right now, this piece exists well outside those terms.

Listen to Relativity, 57413k. If you are off contract, and you are a good customer, I bet you can get a HD receiver for free. You'll have to re-up for another 24 months but then, nothing is ever really free or maybe even only $40, as you are finding out.

Edited by Carl Spock, 23 June 2011 - 04:53 PM.

hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#16 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,682 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:20 PM

I am gonna keep calling and escalating, and see if a manager can help me out, after all i am a paynig customer in great standing with there companym anyone have any pointers?

Don't expect too much. Let us know if you're successful.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#17 OFFLINE   richall01

richall01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:28 PM

Also make sure that there is no PPV charges on the card if there is you will have to pay them before they will activate.

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,969 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:53 PM

Also make sure that there is no PPV charges on the card if there is you will have to pay them before they will activate.

It's hard imagine how he will know that;

to shortening the brainstorm - call CSR, they will tell you about balance, ownership, fee, etc.

#19 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,187 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:38 PM

Don't confused "charged" with "paid". The $250 amount is referred to as a "non-return fee" which is a penalty as opposed to a purchase. On average, most have "paid" for their Plus HD DVRs a couple times over by the time their commitment is up; you just don't have any equity. On the other hand, because so many lease them fer cheap, there's not much equity in buying them either.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#20 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,095 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:01 AM

Yep. Paying the non-return fee does not purchase the receiver. It could be stated clearer in DirecTV's terms of service.

http://www.directv.c..._lease_addendum

"EQUIPMENT RETURN, NON-RETURN FEES.
If you cease to be our customer (whether voluntarily or involuntarily), you must contact DIRECTV within 7 days of termination of your base level of programming to arrange for an equipment return kit or kits, and instructions on how to return your leased equipment (boxes, access cards and remotes). Leased equipment must be returned in good working order, normal wear and tear excepted. If we haven't received your equipment within 21 days of termination of your base level of programming, or if the equipment is returned in damaged condition, we will charge you $45 for each standard box, $175 for each DVR box, $125 for each HD box, and $250 for each HD-DVR, so please promptly attend to your equipment return. . . ."

It is a "non-return fee" - not an equipment purchase.

That seems odd. Choosing to sell the box for $40 instead of paying a much higher "non-return fee". I wonder if she is confusing an initial lease fee with the non-return fee. If I were the previous customer I'd be fighting with DirecTV to get the receiver returned and get the fee refunded instead of making close to nothing by selling an unusable receiver.

Read this thread as another in the series ... be careful when you buy used equipment on the Internet. Check with the provider before you pay. And if the seller won't give you the serial numbers to check go find another seller.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...