Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

external HD problems / questions...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jksellman

jksellman

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:54 AM

My setup:
HR20-200 and external Seagate Freeagent Pro 1tb.
My problem:
On recent recordings (past week +/-) my recordings stutter and pixelate on play back. Older existing recordings on the same drive play fine.
I have rebooted the HR20 and the drive with short term improvement,then the problem returns (the Seagate is aprox. 2 years old and is in a cool area)
I have alot of programs on the drive that I want to keep.
I assume the drive is beginning to fail....
Is there anyway to transfer my existing programs on my external esata Hard drive (seagate) to a new drive in order to have them for playback while continuing to record new programs with out these problems?
As I stated, my older programs playback fine.
Also, without me reading the esata thread (Very long) ...what is the current recommended list of external drives??

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:22 PM

You can use the information in this thread to copy your recordings to a replacement drive.

http://www.dbstalk.c...t=drive replace

It seems most everyone these days is using either the Antec MX-1 case or a Thermal Take dock with one of the Western Digital drives like a WD20EADS.

http://www.amazon.co...09026738&sr=8-4

I've used this enclosure on 2 DVRs and have had no problems. http://www.amazon.co...09026866&sr=1-1

This is the dock that some, including myself, are using. http://www.amazon.co...duct/B001A4HAFS

Edited by RunnerFL, 25 June 2011 - 12:36 PM.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   jksellman

jksellman

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:05 PM

Thank you Runner fl,
I would like to copy my library from my existing external hard drive...the Seagate...to a new EXTERNAL hard drive....
I do not want to change the drive in the HR20.
Is there a way to do this???

#4 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:31 PM

Thank you Runner fl,
I would like to copy my library from my existing external hard drive...the Seagate...to a new EXTERNAL hard drive....
I do not want to change the drive in the HR20.
Is there a way to do this???

The information you need is in the first link I provided.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 OFFLINE   jksellman

jksellman

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:05 PM

I wrote a few days ago regarding a stuttering problem on my HR20's external
1tb hard drive with recordings made after a certain date.
Yesterday I discovered that my DVR attempted to record a program on a channel that was part of a free promotion last week and was no longer available when the DVR tried to record it (on the same date that all my subsequent recordings were unable to play without serious stuttering,etc). When I tried to play that program (the movie Dr. Strangelove), I got the on screen message "searching for authorized content".
I deleted this "failed recording" and to my surprise, my problem went away too.
Is it possible that this caused the problem???? I don't know what else to think, but all is working (for now).

#6 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,074 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:12 PM

I wrote a few days ago regarding a stuttering problem on my HR20's external
1tb hard drive with recordings made after a certain date.
Yesterday I discovered that my DVR attempted to record a program on a channel that was part of a free promotion last week and was no longer available when the DVR tried to record it (on the same date that all my subsequent recordings were unable to play without serious stuttering,etc). When I tried to play that program (the movie Dr. Strangelove), I got the on screen message "searching for authorized content".
I deleted this "failed recording" and to my surprise, my problem went away too.
Is it possible that this caused the problem???? I don't know what else to think, but all is working (for now).

One thing to consider is that you can probably save the hard drive in the external device by taking it out of the enclosure (which is a real PITA, but worth it if the chip set in the device is the problem rather than the HDD) and putting it in one of the enclosures or in a dock that RunnerFL has suggested. We've seen this happen time after time. The enclosures or docking stations are usually the weakest link in the setup and you might be able to save the hard drive and your programs. You've really got a lot to gain and little to lose by giving it a try.

Rich

#7 OFFLINE   jksellman

jksellman

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:31 PM

All is working fine at the moment.....
The Thermaltake BlacX eSATA USB Docking Station
looks interesting. Can I remove the drive from my Seagate Freeagent Pro and
mount it in this dock? It says I can "hot Swap" drives, but I assume that won't work with the DVR....?
I have the Seagate currently mounted remotely in my very cool crawl space, so heat is not an issue.

#8 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,074 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:52 AM

All is working fine at the moment.....
The Thermaltake BlacX eSATA USB Docking Station
looks interesting. Can I remove the drive from my Seagate Freeagent Pro and
mount it in this dock?

Yes, the Thermaltake works on most of the HRs. I've used it on several 20-700s for quite awhile without any problems. You can use the HDD from the FAP after you dig it out. As I said before, it's not easy to get the HDD out of the FAP. It is worth the effort if you want to save the HDD.

It says I can "hot Swap" drives, but I assume that won't work with the DVR....?

I've never tried to hot swap a hard drive, but others have and it doesn't seem to work. I wouldn't even think of trying it myself.

Rich

#9 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:48 AM

hot swapping even in supported scenarios in this case is really just that you can remove it and replace it without powering the enclosure down. Hot swapping a single drive doesnt work in any scenario in which a drive is being written to at the time you go to remove it. If you were using this attached to your pc for instance, you would still need to stop the data transfer, and use the software eject method similar to flash drive.

spam firewall