Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to tell it's using external HD drive & not internal

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Joke

Joke

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:14 PM

Hi,
Just got DirecTV installed today (three HR24-100's). I bought external hard drives (WD20EURS + Thermaltake BlacX, per the recommendations on this forum -- thanks!) and hooked them up. My install process was to cut power to the HR24, power up the external hard drive, connect it to the eSata port on the HR24 and then power the HR24 back up.

I think the HR24 is using the external hard drive, but I'm not sure how I can verify that it really is.

Any recommendations? (I'd hate to start recording my stuff, only to realize later that it's going to the internal hard drive.)

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:18 PM

power down, disconnect the external drive and boot up. Once you're up record something, anything. That recording will be put on the internal drive. Then power down, hook up the external and boot up. If you don't see the recording you're on the external.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   oldengineer

oldengineer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:10 PM

Not sure about the HR-24 but I can check my HR-21 by simply doing a system test and looking at the Internal Temp result. It says N/A - using external disc drive

2H/1J

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:14 PM

Not sure about the HR-24 but I can check my HR-21 by simply doing a system test and looking at the Internal Temp result. It says N/A - using external disc drive

I believe most of the HR2x series receives, if not all, work that way as the temperature sensor is on the internal HDD.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:51 AM

I believe most of the HR2x series receives, if not all, work that way as the temperature sensor is on the internal HDD.

- Merg

The 20-700s give you a temp reading whether you have an external drive hooked up or not. The 21 series usually gives you 77 degrees when it has an external drive hooked up (or, I should say it did a year or so ago, I haven't had an external hooked up to one in quite a while).

Rich

#6 OFFLINE   drfever10

drfever10

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:57 PM

This worked for me....
* Reboot DVR.

* When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select

* You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."

* Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities

*Attempt to change 'INTERNAL' to EXTERNAL

If option exist, run Short Smart Test

#7 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:32 PM

The 20-700s give you a temp reading whether you have an external drive hooked up or not. The 21 series usually gives you 77 degrees when it has an external drive hooked up (or, I should say it did a year or so ago, I haven't had an external hooked up to one in quite a while).

Rich

Okay, I remembered something about some of the receivers still giving a temp reading. I forgot about that quirky temp from the HR21.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#8 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:09 AM

Okay, I remembered something about some of the receivers still giving a temp reading. I forgot about that quirky temp from the HR21.

- Merg

I've only got one 21 left. My son uses his 21-200 and never complains about it. But he's also got a 20-700 with an external 2TB on it in his living room. He just uses the 21 for MRV.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...