Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD DVR Order online?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Arley23

Arley23

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:51 PM

Hi on my account below my equipment it says that I have been a loyal customer and that I am eligible to receive a free HD DRV upgrade, but since I don't have the HD package and DVR package will they charge me for those when I use the new receiver because I don't really want them but I'm thinking about getting the HD package later in the year and will the the box work with my 18x20 inch triple lnb satellite when it was installed back in 06? Also how much would the shipping cost for the receiver?

Edited by Arley23, 25 June 2011 - 11:59 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:17 AM

HD DVR will not work without HD service (or they wont allow it to). You might be able to get them to waive the HD fee for 2 yrs, several people have gotten that promo. It will not work with your dish, you will need a new slimline dish which they should install for you with the upgrade to HD. There wont be shipping, because since you dont have an HD dish, they would only give you the free DVR if they installed a new dish so it would work.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   yayestechlab

yayestechlab

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:03 PM

HD DVR will not work without HD service (or they wont allow it to). You might be able to get them to waive the HD fee for 2 yrs, several people have gotten that promo. It will not work with your dish, you will need a new slimline dish which they should install for you with the upgrade to HD. There wont be shipping, because since you dont have an HD dish, they would only give you the free DVR if they installed a new dish so it would work.

You do not need hd service if you don't want hd which you won't get with your current dish. You can do sd only with the hd receiver in your current setup. Davenlr's answer would be correct if you want hd.
Setup:
Living Room: HR21-100 -- Denon AVR-2807 -- NEC 50XM5A 768p monitor
Master Bedroom: R22-100 --Toshiba 32" CRT TV
Basement:HR23-700 -- Panisonic 1080p TV

#4 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:47 PM

Sorry yayestechlab, that is incorrect. With DirecTV if you have HD capable equipment you have to have HD Access on your account (with one small exception, but that isn't the case here so I'm not going to talk about it).

But, many people are able to get the $10 HD Access fee waived for 2 years if they sign up for Auto-Bill-Pay. The OP should be able to get that deal as well.

Arley23, the small round dish will not work for HD. However, if you order the HD-DVR DirecTV should send someone out to upgrade your system and they will install the new Slimline dish and get everything setup for you to receive HD. You can hook up the new HD-DVR to a standard def TV using composite, S-Video, or component. IF you don't have nay of those you can get a cheap RF modulator to convert the signal over to coax cable on channel 3 or 4 and use that with your TV. You can then set the box to either ignore the HD channels for now, or show they cropped or letterboxed on your SD TV.

You will also have to pay the $7/month DVR fee.

Usually if they are giving you the HD-DVR for free they also waive the shipping and install costs.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

spam firewall