Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sling Adapter: 722 must be connected to my DSL?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dale001

dale001

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:55 AM

I have Verizon DSL for my Internet use in my home as i have a direct line coming in to my upstairs PC. By using a router, I have wireless Internet access downstairs on my laptop PC, and etc.

Question: If I get the Sling Adapter for my downstairs 722 DVR, must I get Verizon to run a direct DSL line into my DVR, or can I buy something that will easily connect to the DVR that will pick up the Verizon service (upstairs router), just like my other PC's do (wireless)?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:27 AM

The adapter will need to be connected to the router one way or another, but that's not something V should have to do. You should be able to either run a network cable or there may be a wireless adapter you could use.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#3 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:30 AM

You can either connect it via CAT-5 (ethernet) or wifi. I would recommend CAT-5, however, because of the requirements of video. If you like, you can run a speed test on your system and post the results here.

#4 OFFLINE   dale001

dale001

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:41 AM

"Wireless Connection

Use this method if you have a wireless home network. All you need is a DISH Wireless Connector for each receiver you would like to connect."

I just found this from DN website and seems to be the easiest and hopefully successful route to take without another line coming in to the house.

#5 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:44 AM

without another line coming in to the house

No matter what you do, you will NOT need a second DSL line coming in to the house.

#6 OFFLINE   dale001

dale001

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:48 AM

Thanks for the help and replies. As someone who is not that technically savvy, i appreciate it.

That's a relief . . . and the usb wireless connector hopefully will do the trick because it's obviously not practical to run a line from upstairs to the dvr downstairs.

#7 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:52 AM

Without knowing the layout or ownership of the house, a cable run may or may not be difficult.

People do it all the time.

#8 OFFLINE   dale001

dale001

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:56 AM

yeh, with my layout here, a cable run would have to go out of the bedroom, into the hallway, down a flight of stairs and across the living room to the 722.
haha.

thanks again.
going usb route.

#9 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:08 AM

I would recommend the Powerline BB (Slinglink) option - available from the Dish website for $30. Just have to plug an ethernet cable from it to your router, and then plug it directly into the wall (not a surge protector). Then unplug your receiver and plug it back in (also directly into the wall - not a surge protector). You will then be connected.

#10 OFFLINE   dale001

dale001

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:01 PM

unfortunately, any cable run from my router to the dvr is not something i want to do. let's see how the usb wireless option works.

but thanks.

#11 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 561 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:10 PM

Gtal's suggestion isn't a bad one. You can still try the wireless adapter option, but just to clarify the Powerline BB connector uses your home's electrical wiring to get connectivity to the receiver (so no cables need to be ran other than from the router, to the adapter in an outlet near the router).

Matthew "Speedy" Gonzales
Social Media

Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 11a-10p MT.  Off: Weds/Sat/Sun.

#12 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:09 PM

The Powerline option negates the opportunity to protect your equipment with a UPS device, which I have always used. I have UPS's on four computers and one for each of my two DVR's and TV's. Going with a wireless solution, IMO, is by far the better route if you care about your electronics.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#13 OFFLINE   dale001

dale001

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:40 AM

Kent, you're using the wireless connection (with usb-like device)?

How does it work for you?

I'm referring to option #3 at this page:
http://www.dishnetwo...d/customer.aspx

#14 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:49 AM

I am using the wireless LAN adapter from Dish. It works great. I use a Linksys dual band wireless router (WRT320N).
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#15 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:15 PM

If you can find a Homeplug rated UPS you can use that, or do what I do: I keep my receiver plugged into a UPS too, but use 2 Slinglinks - one at the router and another by the receiver not plugged into the UPS to provide the receiver a ethernet connection.

#16 OFFLINE   apinkel

apinkel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:45 AM

Wired ethernet is always the most consistent and reliable connection. But obviously it's not always convenient or cost effective to add it if it's not already there.

I user a powerline AV kit from linksys that gives me 4 ethernet ports in my living room, has built in surge protection and it has better (faster and more consistent) throughput than wifi (G) in my house. I love the convenience of wifi but I just haven't had good luck using it for video streaming. I haven't tested the newer N wifi devices so maybe they've fixed the issues I experienced in the past.

For those using the wifi adapter, there's only one usb port on the back of the 722... how do you plug the wifi adapter and sling adapter into the dvr? Do you use the front usb port?

#17 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:00 AM

For those using the wifi adapter, there's only one usb port on the back of the 722... how do you plug the wifi adapter and sling adapter into the dvr? Do you use the front usb port?

Powered USB hub plugged into the back.

#18 OFFLINE   sremick

sremick

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:40 AM

I use a wireless network adapter connected to an ethernet switch to provide network access to all the equipment in my AV rack, including my Dish 722 (and hence, Sling Adapter).

It's nice to just configure the one wireless device, and from then on everything is just a short patch cord away from going online.

#19 OFFLINE   dale001

dale001

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:18 AM

Gonna be getting the Powerline BB Connector from Dish to connect it, so we'll see how much problems i have when it gets here; hopefully things work out well and it's a simple process.

#20 OFFLINE   dale001

dale001

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:41 PM

BTW, MUST the Homeplug Ethernet Adapter be plugged directly into a wall outlet (and not a power strip)? I may have misunderstood. Thanks.

spam firewall